Tablo (4th Gen Only) Firmware Release 2.2.48

@269587 - I noticed the same thing with 2 firmware updates with the same version number. Wonder what they fixed that they were able to deploy with the same version number?

@shafers -

Look in your galaxy phone wifi settings and see if your Tablo is listed as a wifi you can connect to still?

If it is, then your initial install didnā€™t complete properly. I joined the Tablo wifi and went through the initial setup instructions again and it seemed to work. Hope it helps.

1 Like

I noticed that myself. Installed both, havenā€™t noticed any problems since either.

Since that firmware update I canā€™t back out of the Tablo app after watching a channel. I donā€™t get the ā€œExit Tablo?ā€ on Fire TV Cube.

Restart the Cube as it is still there on all mine.

Iā€™ve been experiencing a ton of buffering with the second 2.2.48. Sometimes itā€™s as bad as buffer for 10, watch for 5. I wonā€™t watch it except for the news right now. Mostly, Iā€™m in the app to keep the hard drives from getting too full by rescheduling any show or movie that will be repeated in the future and deleting anything I can live without.

I have also been having a ton of split or failed recordings after this second 2.2.48 firmware release, as well as so much signal strength loss, Iā€™ve needed to stream shows on paid services.

While thereā€™s no proof that any of itā€™s related to the firmware update, Iā€™ve rebooted my entire network 3 times as well as my Tablos more than that. Antennas have not moved, the Tablos are still where they were installed, and I have no new electronics to interfere with them. Not to mention this is affecting TWO 4th gens.

As for the buffering, a force quit and cache or storage clean of the app work okay for about a half an hour, then itā€™s nonstop again. But at least itā€™ll get me through the news or a half hour comedy!

Probably close to 1 second. Not on any other devices, though it was before the update. Stopped the router and moved it closer. Removing the app is my next step. The phone and Tablo are on the same WiFi. Thank you for the ideas.

No difference here since the update, works fine.

Have you had any luck yet?

Reading this again, it sounds like you canā€™t access it from any other device.

Was the Tablo interrupted during the firmware update? (And did your Tablo do one or two 2.2.48 firmware updates?)

According to your most recent reply, about once a second means itā€™s still booting up (software loading).

Have you submitted a support ticket or heard anything from @TabloSupport regarding this issue? They might be able to better help you with this issue, or if nothing else, at least walk you through a factory reset (last resort, not suggested unless you know what youā€™re doing and willing to lose everything on your drives.)

Iā€™m out of ideas, but I feel for ya. Good luck and keep us posted!

I took a little time to reread the 4th Gen LED page again.

So, this could still be a connectivity issue and maybe you can try to reconnect the Tablo to the internet. (IDK an official way to do it, but Iā€™ve had to ā€œtrickā€ mine into doing network changes even as recently as a couple weeks ago. There is no proper way to ā€œchange networksā€ and even if there was, youā€™re unable to connect to your Tablo.) @Barrabing had this suggestion a couple days ago, wondering if your Tablo was showing up as a WiFi signal you were able to connect to.

Iā€™d go through the normal steps youā€™ve likely done multiple times ā€“ reboot EVERYTHING, including your modem and router, leaving everything off and turning them back on one at a time. This clean reboot should clear up your list of connected devices and hopefully time out some connections. Regardless, that blinking light could mean that your Tablo isnā€™t able to assign an IP address and a fresh start through everything could help.

How I trick my Tablo into a new internet connection:
  • Turn off the device itā€™s connecting to. In this case, it would be the wireless router.
  • Unplug the Tablo.
  • Open my (Android) Tablo app and after a while it times out and a ā€œDisconnectā€ option appears.
  • Turn the Tablo back on, wait for it to boot to the pulsating light.
  • Go through the entire setup process again, making sure I connect it to the network I will be using to access it from all devices.

You might ask why Iā€™ve done this more than once. I was originally running my Tablo off of a 5ghz mobile hotspot for testing purposes and due to the distance from my router. When I decided to keep the Tablo, I connected it to my repeater/extender because I knew it was pretty far from the main router. Then, hoping to fix what I thought was extender issues, I moved the Tablo again and connected it to my wireless router.

I hear great things about direct ethernet connections, but with two devices each 50-100 feet away from my modem, Iā€™m unwilling to run cables that far! I no longer think the extender/repeater was the problem, but Iā€™m comfortable with my current connection. For now!

I have been experiencing issues since the weird second 2.2.48 firmware update, but it looks like other have had no problem. TBH, not knowing when the next firmware update could be, Iā€™m trying to clean up my external drive so I can do a factory reset on at least one of them. And hey, if thereā€™s an update that fixes it before then, at least Iā€™ll have all that extra space!

As with every bit of electronics, only do what you feel comfortable doing. I am not endorsing a factory reset.

I hope you hear from Tablo Support soon and can share with us whatā€™s happening.

Tablo Support really needs to address what is going on with there being a 2.2.48 updates that attempt to update twice. This is potentially a very serious issue. Not sure why it is taking so long for someone to at least acknowledge they will be looking into the issue and to give some guidance such as do not do the second update until they know what is going on or go ahead and do the update.

1 Like

It sounds like youā€™ve been waiting for confirmation before doing the second 2.2.48 update.

Is this true, and how have things been working for you without the second one?

Working fine. I have not seen any reason to install the second one. Itā€™s been over a week since I installed the first one.

If I were you, I would hold off. Itā€™s working, so why risk it?

I wonder if the possible double firmware update was because each device was supposed to get a specific update (One for 2-tuner, one for 4-tuner.) Who knows. I just wish Iā€™d have only done it on one so I could figure out if itā€™s the update or something else causing my issues.

Glad things are going well with one the first one.

Misapplying firmware, applying it incorrectly, or applying bad firmware can brick a hardware device for good.

So this is something that should not be taken lightly.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this. Iā€™m stupid for assuming that a pushed firmware update would be beneficial. If they canā€™t figure this out soon, theyā€™re gonna have a lot of equipment returned to Best Buys across country before the 13th.

I have a lot of patiences, but I canā€™t take any more of this buffering every couple of minutes, even with OTA at 480p!

Buying two cheap PVRs would still be less expensive than one 2-tuner. Thatā€™ll bring me down to one FAST device, but at least Iā€™ll have a signal meter so I know if thereā€™s an issue with the station! Oh, and I can copy the files to my hard drive and do whatever I want with them.

Sorry. These last 3 days have been horrible and Tablo has been unwatchable with these issues. 4 hours of playing around, shutting off every device that uses WiFi, restarting modem/router, reworking my network so everything with access to the Tablo is on the 5g network (not easy to do when the SSID is the same).

Timeout waiting for video data on the channel 1/2 a mile away. Timeout waiting for video data on FAST channels. Timeout waiting for video data on a 480p station that comes in at 87% on my PVR with a $10 antenna! Somethingā€™s not right with this second 2.2.48 update for either of my Tablos. (So, itā€™s either buffering every couple of minutes, or a signal error and clicking Retry. If I click Retry enough times, itā€™ll end up playing through whatever itā€™s issue is, but somehow still show ā€œYouā€™re liveā€. Not if Iā€™ve spent 30 seconds clicking Retry or itā€™s buffering every few seonds! But shortly after, weā€™re back to buffering or timeout again.) Watching live video is terrible right now.

So yes, please donā€™t update the second time if your machine is working. Wait for some kind of acknowledgement from Tablo as to how to handle this second firmware request. Donā€™t think you did something wrong and it hasnā€™t gone throughā€¦ check your version. If itā€™s the same as the suggestion, just donā€™t do it!

Yes Iā€™ve had multiple legacy tablos since day one. I always firmware update the least used and pray for the best. On course that is no different then security cameras where even if the release looks good on the first install the second may brick.

Very good point.

Even if the 2nd had worked perfectly on the first 4th gen, it mightā€™ve screwed up the second. I was thinking ahead and decided to tank them both!

Problem I am now having is constant reminders by Tablo to update to 2.2.48 even though I have this firmware installed.

I contacted Tablo support about this issue on 12/29 and have not heard back from them. Hopefully they will acknowledge the issue and provide guidance and or a solution!

1 Like

Itā€™s because your Tablo wants to install it twice. I did the second install, and the reminders went away.

This is the first time I have seen the Tablos do this over all these years, but it doesnā€™t seem to hurt anything to install it again.