Tablo 4 DVR will not recognize usb hard drives (No Hard Drive Connected - error message)

Did you say used? You might have to return it to the seller. The warranty on the Tablo is only for the originally purchaser.

Man, that really sucks.

It does. But no manufacturer honours the warranty on used goods, no electronics manufacturer anyway. You always need proof of purchase.

@Genghis1227 We’d have to take a look at the ports to be sure - but generally @theuser86 is correct. To be replaced, the Tablo has to come from an approved retailer; e.g Amazon, Best Buy, etc.

I have the same issue with the WD Elements and the original USB cable. Sometimes it recognizes the drive and sometimes it doesn’t. If I wiggle the connection, it comes back. I have connected the drive to a PC. THE USB connection fits snugly. I ran a successful extended rest. The connection to the Tablo seems loose. It. It would seem defective to me. What is the suggested solution?

I replaced,the USB cable with a USB2 version. Picture issues went away, such as pixelation and waits. However the Tablo would reboot every couple of minutes. So I just remove the drive to see what would happen. My display issues are still gone. However I can only watch one TV and I can rewind about three minutes.

Summary: the drive performance was causing lots of other issues. Since I ran an 18 hour diagnostic on the drive with a PC with the USB cable that came with the drive, I don’t think that is my issue.

What is my next step?

@Bruce_Beck - Pop us a note so we can take a look at your ports: http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I am available for a couple of hours. What do you need?

@Bruce_Beck - If you’re available right now, it’s best you call and speak with someone directly: https://www.tablotv.com/tablo-contact/

I have the same issues with my tablo and have not had any solutions yet. Tablo will never admit that it may be a hardware problem. Have my tablo for almost 1 year, lifetime member and my tablo is still unusable. getting an email response every 5 days does not work for me. I need a replacement. My hard drive work perfectly in a PC I have been reformatting it many times, read/write tests all OK. Plug it back in the TABLO usb, it recognizes there is a drive and asks to be formatted. 5 seconds later is says that there is no hard drine attached. so frustrating.

Tablo does admit to hardware failures and does replace Tablos under warranty, see here for proof.

It may be for you but I have this problem for 6 months now, I told them this is a hardware problem and they still do not admit it. I tried many many times to get the unit in a remote mode and it does not work. They insist they want to remote it. I had and still have a lot of patience but this is ridiculous.

@Liviu_Imbir A remote session is usually easy to start - and it’s fairly quick for us to determine whether or not there are any hardware issues. This way we can confirm a hardware issue and send a replacement - instead of just doing the latter and seeing the same problem all over again.

If you’re having a hard time setting up a remote session, feel free to PM me or call us; we can walk you through it.

I am available again to do the remote connect

Again, I am home only on Friday and that is the only time I can call you.
How is 7:00 AM Pacific Standard time on Friday Feb. 5 (9:00AM Central Standard time) for a
call?

By the way the hard drive and all the USB cables I have works with no
issues on PC. I formatted, reformatted, read/write tests, and no issues at
all.

Our support hours are: Monday-Friday 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM ET.

We understand this isn’t ideal - fortunately remote access will work without us having to do it ‘live’ over the phone.

You can even put the Tablo into remote access tonight, let us know, and it will stay that way until we get to it in the morning.

Is there something more I can do to determine the nature of ARD DISK NOT CONNECTED problem (I’ve opened a request, #23428 – 1 reponse 3 days ago suggesting I see if it the Tablo USB charges a cell phone — it does---- nothing since). The WD 1tb Elements worked fine for abt 4 weeks then Tablo just stopped recognizing the drive and reported the HARD DISK NOT CONNECTED. Also, the drive does not show up as being recognized in the Tablo settings page. The error message appears once I click on the “Watch” button. The white light on the drive is continuously on. I connected the drive to a PC and the Windows device/disk manager recognizes the drive as “Elements 1078 USB DEVICE” and reports that “This Device is working properly.” What can I do to determine if it is the Tablo Device or the drive??? Thanks for any insights you can provide.

@TabloSupport should be able to tell you where the problem lies, but in the mean time…

Try the other Tablo USB port.
If it works, then there’s something wrong with the other Tablo USB port.

This one’s tougher, cuz most people don’t have extra newer external hard drives just laying around…
Connect another external USB hard drive to the Tablo, and see if that one works.
If it does, then there’s something wrong with the other hard drive.

And this one is rare…
Try using another USB cable.

One last thing.
Check to see if your hard drive has a firmware update that might fix the problem.
You do this by connecting the hard drive to your computer, and running the appropriate Western Digital hard drive firmware update utility.

I have the same problem