Sync Issues - Video Way Behind Audio

With both of my 4th Gen Quads, occasionally a recording is unwatchable because the video is 10-20 seconds behind the audio. Here’s an example: TabloSynchIssues_240328a.mp4 - Google Drive

My voiceover is in the left stereo channel, and the recording is in the right stereo channel. (Sorry if my voiceover sounds a little drunk. It’s because my headset is feeding back my own voice with a slight delay, which causes me to slow down.)

I’ve noticed it mostly with national broadcasts immediately following local ones, so purely speculating here, maybe there’s a broadcasting codec change that Tablo can’t handle.

What it forces me to do is set my phone alarm to just before critical recordings, so if they’re out of sync, I can stop and restart the recording to get a watchable recording.

Note: This sync issue is not unique to my viewing device (e.g., Roku, phone or tablet). It’s definitely a DVR issue, not a viewing device issue.

I’m so unhappy with Tablo that I’m now in the process of ordering an AirTV Anywhere to replace my two Quads. Advice welcomed. Thanks.

@TabloTV @TabloEngineering @TabloSupport

Does this issue happen with completed recordings, or just the ones you try to watch while in progress?

Both.

If it’s the same station, you could try deleting it, rescanning, and re-adding it. This would give your system a full refresh of that channel. This has been known to fix a few things, but IDK if it will for this…

It happens to that station about 80% of the time, but other stations as well. Happened on the 4th Gen Quad I bought in February and scanned right afterwards. Also happens on the 4th Gen Quad I bought Saturday to replace it, and scanned right afterwards. So two scans, two months apart give the same symptoms.

Using a 3rd Gen HDMI connected 2 tuner. I have problems with our Fox station. When we record or watch live nationally broadcast shows, we get random glitches where the video and audio will freeze for a fraction of a second. Sometimes a recording will have complete video/audio desync, making it unwatchable. I have to use Tablo Ripper to offload the show to my computer. If I use Mediainfo on the file it shows the video being 1 hour long but the audio only 50 something minutes. When I extract the audio using an ffmpeg based program, the audio magically has the correct duration. I replace the short audio in the file with the new audio and put the file on my NAS for watching. The random glitches do not happen in locally produced shows, only nationally broadcast shows. The glitches happen when watching the live shows on my Sony TVs tuners, both ATSC 1 and 3. The conclusion is that there is a flaw in the OTA broadcast on this channel that can cause problems with recordings and watching live. It’s the only station with this problem.

Sync issues (again): New 4th Gen Quad. No more FAILED recordings, but the occasional sync issue continues to plague it. Happens mostly on one channel, but also sometimes others.

Jimmy Kimmel recorded just fine, but the Nightline recording immediately following was out of sync. Audio was perfect, but video was behind, making it unwatchable (listenable, but not watchable).

Started out close, but by the end of this clip, the video was 23 seconds behind the audio.
Same results when viewing on phone or tablet. The problem is with the DVR, not the playback device.

Glad my AirTV Anywhere will be arriving on Monday.

@TabloTV @TabloEngineering @TabloSupport