SurLaTablo.py - Python program to query and convert Tablo recordings

FYI - A post was made in our official dev community in May regarding our plans to drop support for the older platform. Those who have signed the NDA are provided access to this area and access to the new API. Part of the reason for this NDA is so we could communicate changes with developers in confidence in advance of them being implemented.

2 Likes

That’s all fine and good for developers that signed the NDA, however as you see in this thread CJCOX didn’t so therefore he wouldn’t know about it and therefore people that depend on his script won’t know either. So therefore the comment stands. It can be justified anyway you want to but since people depend on 3rd party apps just to make this product (Tablo) even work for them it still seems pretty short sited and just aggravates your user base.

I for one am pretty ticked off about it to be honest. I have never been able to get Tablo to work reliably on my network despite WiFI upgrades, Router upgrades and spending a crap ton of money above and beyond just the Tablo. All of which where wastes cause it never ever worked right. My only option was to use a script like this and get my shows into Plex so I could even watch what I recorded. Only reason I’m still here is because I foolishly bought a lifetime subscription for it.

On another note I asked to get in on the NDA so I could research monitoring the Tablo via the API. Got a few emails about it but never did get anything more. This falls right in line with my previous experiences of getting attention and then just forgotten.

@Spunky03 - There are currently three other alternative ‘ripper’ programs supported by developers who made the choice to be a part of the official program. Their code bases are pinned to the top of the third party apps page here: https://community.tablotv.com/c/tablo-apps/third-party-apps-plex

You may find one of these options meets your needs.

If you’re still interested in becoming a member of the dev community, please pop me a DM.

Any developer that exposes the Tablo closed API is in violation of the terms set forth in the NDA. Nuff said.

@TabloTV, I find your remarks very slanted and completely unfair. Nuff said again.

1 Like

Interesting to me that the top one on the page of the “3 ripper programs” is the one that doesn’t work anymore. Just sayin…

Alphabetical order, bruh.

Yeah, but it’s pinned and therefore misleading.

Since @TabloTV directed me there it still implies all is fine.

Either way, still stand by the comments. It’s still a crappy move and I just want to give a big Thanks to @cjcox for his script. It was great while it lasted.

Not necessarily dead yet. Tablo’s beta program is “all or nothing”… we use the device, so I can’t afford the device to “not work”. I’ll have to wait for the released firmware upgrade before I can make my final assessement. Again, just because the NDA is there doesn’t mean signers will abide, which may mean that Tablo’s API gets exposed. So again, we will see.

Good point.

I hope you are right. I was really enjoying having the enter thing automated. It just worked and I very rarely had to check on it. As I said, the only reason I still have the device.

The fact that its closed in the first place doesn’t make ANY sense. Things were just fine until the change. Having open sources benefits the community and builds loyalty.

Community labor vs. slave labor.

FWIW, I found another Python program that works with the new API. I’m not going to provide any other details here because I don’t know if the author realizes that he’s technically in violation of the NDA. Assuming he signed one, that is.

Any more news or still dead in the water?

Don’t think the new firmware has been pushed out (or at least not to me) yet. So… I guess still “dead in the water” for beta users (sorry).

No worries, just checking. I thought you were on the beta program. My bad.

This is demented – I have had a beatifull little automation script running like a charm for well over a year – did all the extrack, placed things in the right folders, zapped the commercials, extracted the cc etc. etc. and it just works with SurLaTablo, until this new closed API.

i have tried the “official NDA cleared” tools;

• Tablo Ripper cannot figure out how to do cc, much less be scripted into something that could help it do so
  • Tablo Exporter is so limited I’m amazed it is even there
  • Tablo2go craps out with a script error

@TabloTV – can we please have SurLaTablo enabled again, you are making some really questionable decision here about who to enable and who not to – especially taking the quality of the “alternatives” into account – please listen to us, your user base, and don’t force us to to have to escalate a bad decision, just because you want to stand on principle. Everyone makes bad calls from time to time – but the difference between a customer-centric company and a company that down care, is that the former recognizes when they get it wrong, they fix and their users love them for it.

1 Like

@cjcox I know it’s not the “same thing” you’ve been doing, but would you have any interest in invoking a .NET DLL instead of the Tablo API? That would give you access to the API from Python without NDA issues.

Let me know if you’re interested and we’ll hash out a few methods you can use.

Not useful on non-Windows system.

Agreed. But it’s one way to go. Just thought I’d offer it up and see if there’s interest.

Actually, I don’t believe you’re allowed to re-expose the API with your own API wrapper and make that “open”… but I do appreciate the desire to help. SurLaTablo, an open FOSS platform, just so happens to run everywhere, and really wasn’t designed to be Windows only (I don’t use Windows, for example).

@GrothPU, SurLaTablo, because of it’s free and open approach… well, it’s always been known that Tablo could shut down it’s access as will. It’s a risk that has always been known. Of course, I have a vested interest (for now) in getting shows off my Tablo… I had a need, wrote some software and shared it with everyone. I stil have that “need”… So there may be an “interruption”… the goal is OTA that “works”… be that Tablo or other. I will do my best in satisfying my needs and continue to share that work.