Support network attached storage (NAS)

Actually, I think most of the people who would want that option would be ones active on the forums because it’s generally people with issues and/or concerns/wants that are posting, not the people that are totally fine with the product as is.

Quite honestly, with the number of devices on my network I actually prefer the Tablo recording the content locally to an attached drive to minimize potential issues (like high general network usage during the evenings which is when most of the content we record is on) and then pulling and processing the content overnight when there is significantly less network usage.

The point was, how many people would be interested in a NAS option… probably some of the people posting here - a fraction of the total tablotv users overall.
I think we may be a minority of their users.

Fair point. I read your reply incorrectly. I thought you were implying there were lots of non-posting users who would want NAS support. I see that we are in agreement with this particular point.

Many people are interested in NAS option. Most DIYs have home servers setup. For Tablo not to support NAS is very disappointing. I bought a USB SSD for my Tablo, because my first drive went bad, and it didn’t work. When one harddrive fails? … I lose everything and my wife nags nonstop.

I have a RAID 10 on my NAS and all I have to do is pop a new drive in. Currently my Tablo is collecting dust. Very disappointed.

1 Like

You can very easily and automatically backup your recordings to your NAS by using one of the third party developed rippers. I use Tablo Ripper myself and it can be set up to automatically copy and convert to MP4 all new recordings at a set time everyday. That way if your drive dies, you’ll always have a backup.

I realize this isn’t what you want, but for the majority of Tablo users who want to use a NAS to insure that they don’t lose their recordings, this is a simple and easy to setup a solution.

I will have to argue with your assertion that “most” DIYS have home servers set up. I would argue that the majority of Tablo users do not have a home server setup and just want an easy way to record and watch OTA television shows.

1 Like

Could you simply do a streaming speed test to let the user know it’s not a tablo issue?

Although I’m not looking for NAS I can feel your pain. Maybe “many” would, but users in Tablo Community generally don’t represent typical consumers.

Many here would like a whole lot of advanced options we see as relatively basic… but Nuvvyo business model appears to make a product most any one can use with the least pain.

We\you might find it painful, but if used as designed, across multiple platforms -whats not to like?

1 Like

Tablo needs to compete. Instead of justifying why not have a NAS a solution, they need to start thinking about how they can have a NAS solution, otherwise they will start losing business. Look here at silicon dust advertising they support NAS - https://www.silicondust.com/dvr-service/

Although they both provide the same end result, I don’t see them as a side by side comparison.

They are different devices or services to suit different consumers needs. Me, I still use an actual TV to watch what has become live TV. who does that?

If everything worked the same, well we’d be stuck with giant corporations telling us computers work this way because we say it does… even if that’s not what we need it to do.

I don’t believe they would lose much business at all, considering the cross section of people who have a Tablo, and also NAS, and also want to use the NAS with the Tablo is arguably a small number.

2 Likes

One of the complaints I see about the HDHomeRun product on Amazon is that in order to use the DVR you have to keep your computer on all the time. For a lot of people, that’s a big negative to that product. They don’t even have an option for local (USB) storage.

I have one that virtually never shuts down, of course I’m not like everybody else. I used a low power processor and 2.5" drives (low power laptop mobile drives). If it has a purpose and is doing something or ready/waiting - I’m ok with that.

Almost all electronic devices are using some power, termed stab-by mode. From my perspective, it’s not wasted if it has a purpose. As for saving power/energy. If I or enough others shut down my PC, will an electric generator be dialed down? for any actual savings? and where is this energy saved? can’t we use some of the saved energy :wink:

I’m not saying turn everything on and don’t bother or worry about it, but if it has a purpose it’s let it do it’s job. Or you should unplug your TV when you aren’t watching it. Power down your router when you leave, don’t forget that printer, etc.

Tablo “needs to compete”???

They’re selling more Quads than they can make. They have an huge army of happy owners. They have been emulated and copied by others, each to a varying degree of (lesser) success. I think they know what they’re doing, they’ve got a pretty good handle on things.

Tech Hive

Cordcutters News

Cordcutting dot com

TVfromAir

3 Likes

BTNT (But They’re Not Tivo)

2 Likes

Have no disagreements… with their products.

They’re a relativity small, privately held corporation - competing with mega giants. When you’re at the top, you’re the one to beat!

Wheather or not recast is adequate, it’s backed by Amazon, so ginormous they create their own “shopping day”.

Tivo has brand recognition, good or bad, and publicly traded, giving them greater resources. Tivo and other big name players have more than just a single revenue stream, Nuvyyo just makes (awesome) OTA DVRs… to compensate for market fluctuations.

So being the best and on the top of all the “best of” list isn’t the end, it’s never ending.

I want it to end.
Actually, it did, for me.
No more research, no more upgrades, no more additional purchases, no more wondering if.
Just watching going on now.
Very happy. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So no matter what, you’re sticking with 2.2.26 on your tablo? And your 3rd party firmware on your router is riding out till it (or you) dies?

engineered obsolesce / continuous improvement

TVs went from square to rectangular, what happens if they go oval? Very happy now… but life happens :neutral_face:

Actually the first TV picture tubes were round!

Thanks for The More You Know info

Reviving a really old thread. I know there are a couple of third party apps, but it would be great if the Web Client had a download option for offline/remote viewing on tablets/phones/laptops, etc.