Start scheduled recordings on reboot - please make this a priority

This is one of the biggest pet peeves I have for the Tablo.

I am going to stay at my moms and take my Tablo with me next week and I may get there at 8:01 pm, well the way the Tablo currently works is that if there is a scheduled recording to start at 8pm I am OUT OF LUCK! Nada! Zip! I miss everything scheduled at 8pm

I can’t stand that this was not day 1 feature! If I have to reboot, or the Tablo reboots on it’s own, I lose scheduled recordings. Please make this a top priority to start recordings that should already be in progress. I don’t care if I miss 1 minute or 30, just start them!

Sorry for the rant, but this really bugs me. If I were developing this product it would be a must have, not a nice to have. Well, that and a whole bunch more :wink:
1 Like

+1 

@jestep - In the event of a reboot/power loss, Tablo will try several times to re-start or start a recording before giving up.

We chose this model thinking that users wouldn’t want partial recordings but it sounds like you do. Perhaps we can make this an option that users can toggle in settings. 

@TabloTV YES PLEASE!!!

And I have never seen it retry starting to be honest. But I think others would prefer 59 minutes of a show if it missed the first minute :wink:

Now obviously 2 minutes of an hour show would not be great, but maybe configurable :wink:
1 Like

With smart scheduling released, you might as well start tracking “complete vs partial” recordings and utilize smart recordings to rerecord any “partial” episodes when they re-air.

Seems smart.

I just hope current missed episodes (due to reboot…) are currently rescheduled by the smart recordings engine.

1 Like
@thumbs
I just hope current missed episodes (due to reboot...) are currently rescheduled by the smart recordings engine.

They are! And thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

@TabloSupport um, I forced a reboot 2 minutes into a recording and Tablo did NOT restart that recording. So why are you saying they are???

@Jestep Apologies for the confusion. The Tablo will not pick up a recording if it has failed (from a reboot or otherwise) halfway through.

It will, however, record that program if it airs again. This is what I meant in my comment to @Thumbs

@TabloSupport, so “If” another schedule of the same episode happens to be coming up, it will record that in the situation I described? But if that episode has no other schedules we are out of luck?

Just want to be clear, because that is better than nothing in my opinion.

@Jestep You’re correct. If the recording fails - it can’t be recovered. If it airs again within 14 days (guide data…) of the failure, the Tablo will re-record it. 

We’re looking at some alternatives to smooth out this experience in the future, but we don’t have any solid changes at the moment.
1 Like

@TabloSupport , I would still go with my idea of if a recording is supposed be going when I (Tablo) boot up, then go ahead and record regardless of time.

This could also be a reason to include alerts of some kind :wink:

We chose this model thinking that users wouldn't want partial recordings but it sounds like you do. Perhaps we can make this an option that users can toggle in settings. 

Count me in, too for wanting partial recordings.  Then I can decide to watch or delete. 

@Grandy Thanks for the feedback - we’re taking a look at some things over here. Stay tuned.

Hi guys - There was a pretty lengthy debate on this between our dev staff on this topic but they’ve decided to implement your suggestion. There won’t be a toggle switch, it’ll just happen automatically. It will create two ‘pieces’ of a recording (if the power failure occurs in the middle of a recording) that will have the same name. 

Thanks for your feedback on this! 
1 Like

@TabloTV great news!!! Tell everyone thanks! I know they have a ton of stuff to work on and I appreciate the attention you guys give to all our many suggesstions! 

1 Like

You’re welcome. Obviously we can’t get to all your suggestions this quickly :smiley:

1 Like

@TabloTV This is very good news! Thanks for listening to your customers and implementing this much needed feature!

This could also be a reason to include alerts of some kind :wink:

@TabloTV  +1 for the alerts.  I just found out this morning that the 2 recordings i had going on Monday night at 8pm only recorded for 8 minutes.  They don’t show in the “Failed” tab.  I guess that since something recorded, it’s not considered as a failure…   So a little something notifying me if a recording didn’t go the whole lenght would be nice.

@Xirpinu what “Failed” tab??? Was that a joke? :stuck_out_tongue:

@Jestep  No it’s not a joke.  In the Recordings section of the web-based app, you can filter by Tv shows, movies, sports, manual recordings and by “Failed” recordings.  This section only appears when you have a failed recording (with the crossed grey icon).  I haven’t seen it for a while though so maybe that feature was removed in the latest release.