Sling TV

@Whatzit I actually just started watching Sons of Anarchy on Netflix… They have 6 seasons and I am on season 3… 

Reruns of that don’t come around on OTA and if they do they would have to cut out a lot of stuff or change a lot of language :wink:

But you are right, I think people watch each to their own :wink: And I think a lot of people on here can prove that to be true. No one seems to watch exactly the same way. 

Hmm…  With AMC things just got more interesting…  Since I pay for Walking Dead and Halt and Catch Fire it makes a bit more sense now to keep Sling.  However, I’m still probably going to want to time shift them which I can’t do…  Decisions decisions.

Are you sure AMC won’t be one of the channels you can go back within 3 days of its showing and view? 

@wkufan92 good question, in fact it does state, "

Deal grants Sling TV innovative OTT programming and multi-stream rights for live and Video-On-Demand content"

So maybe we could go back and watch. that would be nice

I guess I should have added this:

Terms cover all channels in the AMC Networks portfolio including AMC, BBC AMERICA, BBC World News, IFC, Sundance TV, and WE tv

@Jestep - I know what you mean, I got Hulu+ free for a month when I bought the Rokus, but with the wife watching live TV on her regular schedule, we only watched the “turkey’s can’t fly” episode of WKRP on Thanksgiving the whole time we had access.  Only so many hours in a day.

I don’t watch TV that much, so for me, it’s all about supplying a “close to cable as possible” solution for her so I can get rid of cable, and SlingTV’s HGTV, Food, TBS etc. cinched the deal.  When Charter dropped QAM and started charging more to rent cable boxes than they did for content, that was the last straw. 

Terms cover all channels in the AMC Networks portfolio including AMC, BBC AMERICA, BBC World News, IFC, Sundance TV, and WE tv

@Jestep So Sling will be adding all those channels or some conglomeration of content from all those channels into 1 channel?

FYI! Just activated Watch ESPN through my SlingTV account. I had to Deactivate Live TV from my internet provider, and then Activate with SlingTV account.  Now I have access to all ESPN channels.

Update:  SlingTV went nationwide today.  They stuck to their release date.

Knowing Dish, they’ll increase the price / month soon but in fact $20 / month is already too much since they’re starting to force you to watch channels again that you may not be interested in. Same old package concept just at a lower level for know, just wait and see. I cut the cord because I didn’t want to play this game anymore so this isn’t for me. Obviously, I can understand that some of you sign up for such an offering since you can’t get certain channels anymore after cutting the cord but in my case I will simply not watch those channels anymore that I can’t get OTA. I’m watching too much TV already so it definitely won’t hurt my health if I watch a little less :wink: Have fun with Sling TV while you can enjoy it.

Anyone having buffering issues tonight? I rebooted my network and even lowered the quality to 1.5 mb/s and it is still buffering. When I check current bandwidth it says 1.3 mb/s. I have 50 up and down service. I hope this is not a glimpse of things to come and just first day issues. I went all week last week at unlimited bandwidth with not one issue.

@roraniel well they did just go live today for all so maybe it is just a rush to try it out. I am gonna guess it might have issues the first week until they see how much people want the service

did get Watch ESPN activated without issue. :slight_smile:

If they add Discovery and Nat Geo I might think about it

Travel Channel, HGTV, ESPN, the Disney channels for the Grandson wasn’t bad…if they roll in BBC America, I’d pretty much be sold other than the DVR piece. Give me DVR, and I’m done…it’s about the only thing missing now other than a single portal to combine all my ‘sources’ together (are you hearing me Plex developers? Killer channel opportunity !)

Looks like Sling is now trying to inject their own ads into the ESPN commercial breaks. It’s causing some issues right now, though. Rather than it being one continuous stream, it’s creating a separate stream (and buffering instance) during the commercial breaks…and then it buffers back to ESPNs stream when the break is over. It’s causing some errors when it flops between the streams. Odd that they didn’t iron this out prior to going open to the public.

I was talking with a client today about Sling TV and we were both wondering how long it will take for Sling TV to start making original content. It seams like the thing to do for streaming services.

@roraniel I think they got that covered with the Maker channel :wink:

@Jestep I have not really watched maker but isn’t it a network of independent makers of content? I was thinking more along the lines of Netflix’s “House of Cards”. 

I am a little disappointed in the performance of Sling TV since it went live for everyone. Since Monday I cannot watch without buffering on the unlimited connection setting. The highest I have seen the bandwidth is 3.7 MB/s and I have tested my connection using a Roku channel for testing connection speed. It runs a series of different  millisecond test and my connection ranges between 29 MB/s and 47 MB/s. I don’t understand why I get buffering at all but I still get occasional buffering even on the 1.5 MB/s setting in Sling TV. The picture is also not so great at the 1.5 MB/s setting.

I even went as far as doing a factory reset of the Roku and re-installing all channels figuring it might be like doing a fresh install of Windows.

@roraniel yes, but that may be their way of bringing content like those. Not gonna be as good or as advertised :wink:

And I saw the buffering issues too :frowning: