Sling TV

I wanted to post some observations I have had in the past few days with Dish.TV.  I was able to get a beta invite, and I have notices some really killer features that are very simple from a UI standpoint but more importantly would add a TON of value to TabloTV!.  Hopefully this isn’t a dupe post going on somewhere else, and if it is @TabloTV please move.

1) When watching a show, you can at any time hit the up or down arrow and a small OSD overlay pops up on the bottom and Up / down will scroll through the available channels and show you what is currently on that channel.  leaving the osd sit on a channel will change the feed to that channel.  pressing ok does the same 
2) LiveTV or whats showing always present
3) across top shows different menu options for different screens (*, up, back, etc.)
4) whats on now -> nice touch across bottom and shows all shows currently airing also shows info to the right of the show when you have the item selected
5) image preview (netflix style when ffwd and rrwd)
6) search
7) no EPG, but the quick channel change up down as well as ok to see list of channels while the show is streaming, killer!
8) only pulling 3.5 Mbps down which is the most i have gotten thus far (i have 50Mbps down)  the HD is amazing!  Sure it is compressed and doesn’t match the amazing 1080i you receive in the clear OTA, but it is darn impressive
9) Unified UI throughout.   currently have it on roku 3, android, nexus player, mac and its the exact same ui across the board… awesome!
10)pressing ok while on live tv will pop up the channel list and main menu screen of whats on and currently showing / coming up as well as keep livetv running in the backgroud

Sound good; waiting for my invite. Only wish they had a way to DVR the shows.

Does the image preview work on all the channels, or just certain ones?  

Actually there is EPG from the stand point you can see what is playing on a particular channel. Click on the name of the channel… When you go into All channels for instance, left arrow to the name of the channel hit ok :wink:

@snowcat it works on all the channels, but it is like an image for every 5-10 seconds or so. I don’t really think it is as good as  Netflix or Amazon, but still it is something

Sling.TV isn’t OTA… it’s over the wire.  Big difference.  It’s not that different from the online streaming TV channels available when you can prove your subscription.    It’s confusing… you bet.  Just wanted to let you know why some things will be possible with Sling.TV that can’t be done easily with an OTA grabber device like TabloTV.  They are very different.

Also PiX64 your #1, when I hit the up or down arrow it moves to the channel either up or down. It doesn’t really show me much. Although I do see the space when I move

Also your 10, when I press ok, then that pops up the box at the bottom of the screen. 
To get to the channel menu I have to press *

I wonder if there is some weird difference with where you are versus me and the functionality of the app?

I do want to add that the speed of moving back and fast forward is extremely fast. That is impressive.

And I am seeing 3.7MB and I have 100MB down
Sling.TV isn't OTA... it's over the wire.  Big difference.  It's not that different from the online streaming TV channels available when you can prove your subscription.    It's confusing... you bet.  Just wanted to let you know why some things will be possible with Sling.TV that can't be done easily with an OTA grabber device like TabloTV.  They are very different.

whos was this directed at exactly?

@Jestep - For me when i press up and down arrow quickcly when already in the live tv full screen view it will pop up and OSD below and allow me to scroll through 1 at a time and see what is on those respective channels.

Interesting that your exp is different than mine.  I am running on roku 3 mostly...

@PiX64 yes I am Roku 3 also, that is strange

@snowcat, it works on all channels i have tried :slight_smile:  so I know that ESPN (which i haven’t really tried as i don’t watch sports all that often) for example doesn’t allow for ffw and rewind, so it would not work on those channels.

@Jestep - so if you are in full screen mode watching a show and you hit ok— it doesn’t bring up the main screen “guide” of all the shows while the show continues to play in the background?

@PiX64 No, it shows me what is currently playing and allows me to click down arrow to see more on that show. Once I click the down arrow It shows me * MENU <- BACK and whatever info on that particular show.

So here they are in order…

Hit the OK Button and I get this:

Hit the down arrow I see this:

Hit the * key and I get this:

Hit all channels and I get this:

Oh unless you pay the $5 for Disney you don’t get ABC either… So only 12 channels :frowning:

thats way different than what im running… i wonder if you have an older beta or something.  i just installed mine last night when i got the email.

also a big one i forgot to mention up top is

******* Auto Zoom when content is 4:3  awesome!

ill post some pics so u can see how mine is different

@PiX64

You know what, I went back to my email and added the channel again and now I get SlingTV… First app was actually dishworld app…

Yes, now I got the newer app… Much better and I get ABC and Disney channels that show up!  Glad I talked to you about this!!!

Crazy that a few days ago I got an old Roku App and today I get the new app !

Dang, same thing with the Mac App too… 

@snowcat, so disregard my previous… The rewind does not work on all channels… As an example, TNT does not allow it… Or at least for the current show I am watching.

And it is much better on the new app I just got :confused:

I just shot a quick video to show what I was trying to explain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWjf8hjltoY

@PiX64 yea, now that I have the new app I see exactly that…

Not sure why they would have given the old app to begin with some channels not even working…
I just shot a quick video to show what I was trying to explain

The Sling TV app looks great.  If it was a little less expensive I’d probably bite.  BTW, what type of dog do I see reflected in your fireplace doors?