Sling TV Update

Sling TV will very likely never DVR functionality.  That isn't its purpose,

I think you’re probably right, and the reason SlingTV will just be ‘ok’ for some.  They are, after all, a ‘cable/sat’ provider.  Even if you could go back 3 days on all of the channels, that would be something. 

www.ustvnow.com is another option and they DO have a cloud DVR option.  They also have different channel lineup and different price.  I currently do not have the DVR option but might add it.  They only allow 1 stream from a computer, but up to 3 streams from devices (such as Roku) so it is more family friendly.

Hmmm… ustvnow is for overseas use.  Do they not do a DNS check?

No and in fact United States is at the top for selecting where you are located.  Perhaps they are happy to take money though they might not have the legal right to stream in the US.  They do offer Fox and there is a DVR option, and can stream on 3 devices (but only one computer)

Another Update (but you probably already knew).  I'm on the West coast but noticed that the slingtv channels stream at different time zones.  I did set my time zone in the settings, but shows stream at different time zones.

Found this list on reddit that pretty much mirrors what's happening with my slingTV:
  • ESPN - PST
  • ESPN2 - PST
  • AMC - EST
  • TNT - EST
  • TBS - EST
  • IFC - PST
  • FOOD - EST
  • HGTV - EST
  • TRAVEL - EST
  • TOON - EST
  • ABCFAM - PST
  • DISNEY - PST
  • CNN - PST
  • SUNDANCE - EST

Looks like History and H2 appeared now also.  I like the fact that they are just adding channels.  

Now they just need to change it from now allowing more than one set at a time.  That is totally unacceptable.

No and in fact United States is at the top for selecting where you are located.  Perhaps they are happy to take money though they might not have the legal right to stream in the US.  They do offer Fox and there is a DVR option, and can stream on 3 devices (but only one computer)

Thanks for the resource!

Looks like History and H2 appeared now also.  I like the fact that they are just adding channels.  

Now they just need to change it from now allowing more than one set at a time.  That is totally unacceptable.

I expect they plan to roll out multiple streaming in the near future.  When you look at your billing details, there’s a line item for 1 Stream - $0.00.  This tells me they probably have the ability to charge for additional streams.  I expect they’re doing this bit of adding channels over time to keep their name in the news as a marketing tool and will do the same with additional streams.  They’ll definitely get some free marketing if/when they add multiple streams too.

Sling TV is an evolution of the Dishworld product which streams international channels. 

Dishworld is actually available on Sling as well but with a different interface than “native” Dishworld and will soon be rebranded as “Sling International”. Dishworld also has a 2-week cloud DVR for all channels that you subscribe to.

With Dishworld you can add multiple streams at 5 dollars per additional stream (the monthly charges on Dishworld average around 45 so the 5 per additional stream makes sense there).

I expect similar features to be introduced with Sling soon once they work out the optimal pricing and the licensing of cloud DVR for the US channels.

A 2 week cloud DVR would make all the difference in Sling TV (at least for me).

Long ago, I was a little kid and as a family we had to schedule our activities around what TV show was on at a certain time.  I have no desire to go back to those ‘good old days’.  ;)

The A&E additions went live today.

http://blog.sling.com/announcements/20-networks-for-20-with-arrival-of-ae-networks-on-sling-tv/

Interesting development, as it looks like Sling is adding an HBO add-on for $15 extra (on top of the $20 live package) this month.

That would include a live channel and back catalogue.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/4/1/8326089/hbo-coming-to-sling-tv

@forthwest, I think you can get HBO for $15 a month Without getting Sling.  If not, I know they plan to have it available a la cart without the next few months

Currently the only way I know of LEGALLY to get HBO without sling involves Apple.  Perhaps more choices will come, but I just went back to Sling after having buffering issues with ustvnow.  I did pick the Holleywood package, and in 6 minutes will be streaming Star Trek Into Darkness.

Still SlingTV ($20) plus HBO ($15) and $5 for Hollywood is still LESS than my TW bill was and it is all channels I watch.  I think before the year is over there will be options for a second or third stream.  I noticed on my account it says 1 stream.

I unliked Slings Facebook page because every time they announce additions people do nothing but complain. All the haters add the cost of every package they offer and say it cost just as much as Cable. But I gaurantee no one buys every package. The haters don’t understand Sling. Sling is about giving people options and choices. I like having choices and I like that they are adding channels to the base package without a cost increase.

@Beastman, that ustvnow, can you get that in the states and I could swear when I went to the site, the price was insane per month.  How much was it monthly

$19.95 for the first three months and 30 after I think. I dropped and went with Sling TV +Hollywood addon.

I looked at USTVnow.

Channels:  ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, PBS, My9, A&E, Animal Planet, Bravo, Cartoon Network, CNBC, CNN, Comedy Central, Discovery Channel, ESPN, FX, Fox News, History, Lifetime, National Geographic, Nickelodeon, Spike, Syfy, TBS, TNT, USA

Price $29 a month + $10 a month for DVR in cloud.  You get 6 channels free to try it out if you give them your email address. You get a $10 discount for the first 3 months. 

DVR recordings are deleted after 4 weeks.

This blurb in FAQ regarding service - USTVNow also offers a paid service with additional channels and DVR capability. The service in the continental U.S.A. is available as a TV anywhere service in combination with a regular cable subscription from USTVNow cable partners.

I haven’t tried it on Roku, but on my iMac, it crashed once.  Could have been a Chrome error.  Watching in full screen mode give a really crudy picture, but then my display is 2560x1440. There is an HD option, but no mention of what HD means to them.  High, the grade below HD, requires 1.4 mbps,

They reserve the right to deny channel access during time of high demand.  They also use your computer somehow to improve streaming quality for other users somehow.

In any case, they don’t have Disney nor HGTV or Food Network which is a show stopper for the kids and my wife.  I’m tied to the cord until some company can deliver these channels with at least 3 streams.

USTVNow is ok when it’s not peak hours or a popular show, but for example, the Superbowl this year, it was constantly buffering. This was before I got my Tablo setup, but my friend upstairs had to bring down his antenna so we could finish the game. I cancelled USTVnow before the game even ended, as they gave me a disclaimer that peak times connectivity can be an issue. 

Without Sling, I would not have been able to watch the NCAA tourney semifinals, which were on TBS (TNT was also used for a UK-centric broadcast).

I have been watching more Sling lately, and my biggest issue is losing the signal every so often.  I can get around it by selecting another channel and then going back to the original channel, but it can be annoying.  

I am impressed with how well it plays on my Android phone just using 3G service.  The quality still looks very good.

I’ll see how SlingTV is this coming Saturday during the Star Trek marathon on EPIX.