Sling TV Update

I haven’t had problems quite that severe.  I do have issues with their guide having inconsistent times (some eastern, some pacific).  Every once in a while the resolution drops lower, and then recovers.  I’ve had shows pause and then start over from the beginning, and shows that just stop playing and after a minute or two switch to a different show altogether. 

Still, it works well enough most of the time.  TNT and Food network are requirements for the wife.  Without them, I’d be back on cable.

A miracle happened. This morning it is working fine. It did go to a black screen and I had to restart the app but it only did it once. I changed nothing so it must be Sling issues causing my problems.

Could problems like this be regional? I ask because no one else on here said they had similair issues.

It might be growing pains as they add new customers, they need to consider network demands and increase the network for every so many new customers.

Tonight picture is rock solid but the screen goes black as if the FireTV went to sleep but on no appatent schedule. 1 hit of the back button brings it back on.

wow I've been fortunate or just don't watch sling that much but mine has work great on my mac and roku3.

@roraniel maybe it is some screen protection thing that if no activity it turns off the screen.  There might be an option to turn it off.

I tried that. Unlike SlingTV on the Roku app there is is sleep mode on the FireTV app. I have sleep turned off on the TV and the screen saver on the FireTV box is off. It also only does it on Sling. But it stopped today anyway.

The Sling App might have it’s own screen saver built it and stop streaming after so many hours if you don’t press any button to show you are still there.

The Roku Sling app does but the FireTV Sling app does not and as I said it stopped doing it this morning and I made no changes.

A miracle happened. This morning it is working fine. It did go to a black screen and I had to restart the app but it only did it once. I changed nothing so it must be Sling issues causing my problems.

Could problems like this be regional? I ask because no one else on here said they had similair issues.

I really think it’s all on Sling, and it could be regional.  They have some serious capacity issues to iron out.  I had similar issues when I trialed them and just like you, in the morning it was ok.  In the evening (i.e. more users), it was kinda flakey.

Both my wife and I were sick yesterday, Spring cold I bought home from a business trip, so we watched a lot of TV. It was rock solid all day yesterday so it appears they have worked it out at least for a while.

Regarding the cold. I am sitting on the plane getting ready to taxi out and out of the blue the 20 something kid sitting next to me starts coughing uncontrollably and spewing cotangents all over me. I Immediately leaned as far into the isle as I could. He sat with his sweatshirt over his mouth the rest of the trip but the damage was done. If he spoke English I would have told him off.

News Flash!!!

"As promised at launch the service is now available on the Xbox One, marking the first game console with a Sling TV app and the third big-screen platform, after Amazon Fire TV and Roku. Sling TV is also available on iOS and Android devices, as well as Mac and Windows computers.

Sling also once again expanded the selection of channels in its "Best of Live TV" core package, which costs $20 per month. History, H2 and Lifetime are now included in the price. They'll be live by the end of March along with A&E, just in time for the premiere of Mad Men April 5"

Hopefully this does not mean another round of poor picture quality because of new subscribers.

Nice.  I do wonder how much longer they can keep the $20 price, but I enjoy it so far.

Is Sling TV still only live? I see mention of VOD library. Any clue what is in it? I have the Tablo for a reason…have to dvr, cant watch live as I (like most) am too busy. 

The line up looks great with History, A&E, CNN, TNT, ESPN etc… but if I have to watch live…I don’t care how cheap it is…
ok ESPN and CNN live, but the rest…

Still only live and only one stream, so unless you’re single or you all watch the same, you will need multiple subscriptions.

Actually there is some VOD. For instance AMC you can now watch the last 3 episodes of many of their shows. It’s weird getting to the screen though. If I remember right, you click through the channels until you get to AMC, then you click up. You get some kind of channel details page. There you see some of their shows - TWD, Comic Book Men, 3 or 4 other shows. You can select the show and then the episode. They just made this available yesterday or the day before.

Some channels you can go back up to 3 days, but you do it right in the channel section - it’s really weird. The interface is terrible, but has promise.

I hope they add on-demand to TNT/TBS soon!

http://help.sling.com/apex/Sling_Faq_Detail?id=ka9E00000008PkAIAU#myDiv

apparently, they just added history, h2, and lifetime.

when they add DVR I’ll be there. 

Sling TV will very likely never DVR functionality.  That isn’t its purpose,