Setting up ASUS RT-N66U for remote connection

Yes 50.xxx.xxx.xxx is an external IP.

Once you put the modem in bridge mode it is only a modem, you won’t be able to ask it via a web interface.

thank you, that make a lot of sense now.
that explain why I cant connect to it.

No problem - with the modem in bridge mode it’s DHCP server is turned off, so there is no way to router traffic through your ASUS router to the modem to be able to connect to the modem.

If you physically connected a computer via an ethernet able to the modem and used the previous 192.168.x.xxx IP in a web browser you’d able to access the modem web page. This would also require you to set a static IP on the computer as the DHCP server is disabled on the modem.

you should still be able to access the modem’s status pages at

http://192.168.100.1/

yes I was able to access that page. TY!

thank you so much, that seem like super advance stuff. I like it simple.

great freaking community here im loving tablo even more now.

let see if I run into any other small thing.

do anyone know if I get my own modem would I still be able to assign a Static IP to the tablo even if the ISP web page states this about user with their own modem.

Static IP addresses are not available if you use your own modem.
but not sure if that mean setting it up by the modem and not the router, the modem would be in Bridge Mode

so does the static IP comes from the ISP or from the router?
I am planning on buying the TP-Link TC-7610 and use it with the RT-AC66U

Thank you.

I think you want to do a DHCP reservation for the Tablo in your router setup. Static IP usually means your connection to the ISP - but there are many others here that are experts in this tech.

the term STATIC IP in real usage applies to your “world facing” IP, which is not what the Tablo needs. DCHP Reservation, which makes your Tablo have the same IP on your internal network, is what is needed. (Opening the needed ports, with your IP reserved internally, is enough for Tablo’s combination of HW and SW to work as intended)

STATIC IP is really intended for servers that are accessed externally, mostly for business type stuff…

1 Like

Not to confuse things more, but there is such thing as setting Static Internal IP addresses. This is usually done on the device itself. The Tablo does not let you manually set a Static IP on it. Thus you use the DHCP Reservation feature on your router to ensure the Tablo gets assigned the same IP all the time.

Sodaman is right. The ISP is talking about static IP address for your modem, for the internet side of your router. Nothing to do with the DHCP reservation you set up for your LAN.

If you switch to a simple modem, rather than the modem/router/access point combo unit you’re using now, nothing at all changes with your router setup.

1 Like

One more time, thank you guys so much.
In that case i will go ahead and order the TC-7610 and save on my cable bill.

I just got confuse since i know i setup the tablo with the so called static ip, as i was having a hard time connecting to it after any power cycle before the static ip setup.

So at the end the tablo would always have the same IP in my network if setup by using the MAC address right.

Yes.