Setting up ASUS RT-N66U for remote connection

@mtr Just got your ticket! Sending something over now :slight_smile:

Got the issue licked, turns out my OOMA VoIP box was sitting between my LAN Router and Cable Modem and stopped the ports from being properly configured/forwarded tweaked settings on the VoIP box and configured port forwarding in the router and we have lift off. Link provided to the magic bullet.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/38268-myplex-behind-my-ooma/

Here is how I did it on my ASUS RT-N56U router:

• under Advanced Settings click on WAN
  • select Virtual Server/Port Forwarding tab
  • at the bottom of the page you should have the port forwarding list
  • add the 2 new ports that your Tablo needs
    Service Name = Tablo
    Port Range = “add one of the public ports that the message on your tablo is telling you”
    Local IP = “add the local IP assigned to your Tablo which is also shown in the Tablo’s message”
    Local Port = “add the corresponding Private port that is in the Tablo’s message”
    Protocol = TCP
  • Then click on add
  • Repeat the above steps for the other port and click on Apply
  • retest your Tablo and it should work :smile:
2 Likes

Coincidentally I also have a spanking new RT-N900. I don’t know anything about automatic set up, did not use the magic button to connect any wifi, but my Tablo is wired anyway. So I just set up the port forwarding manually and the Tablo app instantly said it passed. I just tested by turning off wifi on my phone, and got Tablo Remote just fine.

Yes the best way to configure the port forwarding for Tablo Connect is manually. It’s the most solid way to avoid issues. However, not everyone has the networking expertise to do it.

That’s why many people use UPnP. And then have issues lol

It’s good to see that it’s not just me.I recently set up an ASUS RT-AC66U and I have the same symptoms. I have port forwarding set up on the router and on my modem. It’s not complex to do and I know I have it set up correct because my other port forwards are working just fine including Plex. Any other suggestions?

I also have the Asus RT-AC66U and cant figure out why I cant use remote connect, on the ipad in the tablo app it still show that the port are not open.
I have the newest firmware.

I had UPnP enable then I disable it to see if it made a difference nothing.

following a previous advice I logged in the modem but the interface is different it does not allow me to setup the same port forwarding

anything else I should try?
thanks!

Oh boy.
Looks like you have 2 routers to deal with: your modem has built-in router capabilities, and your wireless router.

First, which ASUS RT-AC66U physical port in the back is the network cable plugged into?
Is it plugged into the blue labled port all the way to the left, or one of the yellow labeled ports clustered on the right?

Second, which unit is providing the IP addresses (a.k.a. DHCP server)?

Yes that’s a big no no. Router behind a router, which is called engaging in “Double NAT”.

Put your Arris modem / router combo in “bridge mode” which will have it function as only a modem. Then you can use your ASUS router as a router only and enable the proper port forwarding on that.

I’m not sure if you edited the pictures to hide your local IP of the Tablo but the port forwarding on the ASUS does not include the full IP such as 192.168.1.105 for example.

Some key reading to help me explain better what Double NAT means:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/fixing_double_nat.htm

http://inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/908.page;jsessionid=6A63A8E1475121FC0090400681E6E613

Hi once the arris DG1670 modem goes online it atomically disable the wifi aspect of the modem, but while is connecting with the ISP the wifi is broadcasting but as soon as it establish connection the wifi get disable.
Is the modem provided by the cable company. I own the ASUS.

would this scenario change anything?

forgot to address the second question,

the Ethernet cable coming from the Arris modem is connected to the blue on the ASUS.

not sure on the second question on how to check that about the IP addresses. I know I see a bunch of devices connected to the wifi on the ASUS web page.

Go to the Internet or WAN status page on the ASUS router, what is the WAN IP? If it starts with 192.168.X.XXX then the Arris modem has a DHCP server running assigning an Internal IP to your ASUS router. Then the ASUS router also has a DHCP server running assigning internal IPs to devices such as your Tablo, Roku, Nexus Player, iPhone, etc.

This means you have 2 DHCP servers running, aka Double NAT.

solution:
Call your ISP, have tech support set your DG1670 to "Bridged Mode"
This will make it act like a regular “cable modem only”.
You can then have your own router perform all DCHP/ routing duties.

You will need to know how to properly configure your router for your network, so make sure you know how your network is currently configured as well as the appropriate manuals for your router beforehand.

1 Like

I swear I said something similar, but it was not acknowledged… lol

it did had a IP like that 192.168… but after I found and changed the ARRIS to bridge mode now it show a complete different IP on my ASUS web page.

Thank you all, as of right now the tablo connect is working it seem that the double NAT was not allowing me to connect.

I just hope that if the ISP modem for some reason get power cycle it wont go back to the prior NAT setting. as of right now I cant even connect to it.

A power cycle or reboot will not reverse the bridge mode configuration. However, a factory reset of the modem will, for example if you hold down the reset button on the back of it for an extended period of time.

On the ASUS admin page, click on the Network Map menu item. Then click on the globe icon (next to where it says “Internet Status:”. The right side will change to the info for the WAN connection. The “Gateway” address is your modem.

I know about holding it down for a while to factory reset it.
but I am just wondering since now I cant access the ARRIS web page.

thank,
the new one start with a 50..._ but it seem I cant access the web features.
o well as long as I can use remote connection I don’t need to enter the modem web page. I just find it weird that I cant connect to it anymore.
The prior IP started with 192..._ before I changed it to bridge mode.