Setting up ASUS RT-N66U for remote connection

Has someone enabled remote connection with an ASUS RT-N66U router? I have not tried yet, so I wonder if the “enable connect” button on the Tablo GUI is enough for that or if I will have to manually open any port on my router?

Also, my Tablo is wired but currently using one of the behind the firewall (normal) ports that we have in the back of the Asus.

Thanks in advance,

I can verify that it was enough just to click the button for the ASUS RT-N56U running version 3+ firmware.  Hopefully for you it will be similar accross brand lines.

Since it is a fairly new router and it does support UPnP, the Tablo should automatically set up the ports for you when you enable Tablo connect.  However, I recommend that you give the Tablo a static address, or it will have to re-setup those ports every time the IP address changes.

If it is using one of your normal ports, you should be fine.  I have the firewall running on my router, and everything works well as long as the port fowarding is in place.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Being an IT guy, I’m very anal with network security. Is there any way to check what changed on the Asus after doing that?

I know that the WAN section is the one to use for port forwarding. Should I see those changes written there?

I would like to know how to revert that (router side) in case I change my mind.

Yes, you should see those changes in the router.  I think on my Netgear Nighthawk, there was a separate UPnP page that had all the changes.  

I am an IT guy too, so I understand. :wink:

I’ve got rules written on mine as far as ports for other things, static ips etc, but I don’t think it changed any of that, or wrote a rule in the firmware screen.

Enabled it, worked like a charm! :wink: at least, with a quick test I did with my Verizon iPad. I guess that final experience will depend of the wifi I use when I’m away of home.

@jbanks25

If you are curious about it … the change can actually be seen on the Asus router. You need to go to System Log I think (I am at work now, can’t remember the page) There you will see the Tablo’s static IP and the router doing port forwarding to it.

RT-N66U owner, had tablo connect working a couple of weeks back without manual set up required now no go, manually configured port forwarding per tablo connect port scan recommendations but after reboot of tablo and router a rescan returns a failure ie does not recognize mapped ports. Anyone with some thoughts

I cannot get my tablo connect to work, it keeps telling me my router requires manual configuration.  I’m not a Techy, so all of this router stuff is difficult for me,  I have a ASUS RT-N66U Firmware 3.0.0.4.376_1071, I’ve read some FAQ, and several topics on this form and I’ ve tried the following with no results:

I have created a “Static IP” in the LAN - DHCP Server section, with the “Enable the DHCP Server” and “Enable Manual Assignment” set to “Yes”, with my Tablo’s IP address added to the “Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list” section. 

In The WAN - Internet Connection Section, I have the “WAN Connection type” set to “Automatic IP”, the “Enable WAN”, “Enable NAT” and “Enable UPnP” set to “Yes”.

In The WAN - Virtual Server / Port Forwarding section, I have the “Enable Port Forwarding” set to Yes, and I added my Tablo Public Port to Private Port in the “Port Forwarding List”. I’ve tried putting the 8887, 80 & 443 in the “Port Range” and the Public Port numbers in the “Local Port” and vice versa. Which is which?

@sql_lover If you have yours working, I need some pointers. or if there’s one thing I’m over looking or if I’m setting something in the wrong place.

@mtr Did you get yours working?

Thanks in advance

@DaveTV no luck to date and have given up for now, hoping new updates down the road to change the implementation will take care of the problem.

Regards

@mtr and @DaveTV - Have you touched base w/ @TabloSupport on this? They’re more than happy to help troubleshoot.

I cannot get my tablo connect to work, it keeps telling me my router requires manual configuration. I'm not a Techy, so all of this router stuff is difficult for me, I have a ASUS RT-N66U Firmware 3.0.0.4.376_1071, I've read some FAQ, and several topics on this form and I' ve tried the following with no results:

I have created a “Static IP” in the LAN - DHCP Server section, with the “Enable the DHCP Server” and “Enable Manual Assignment” set to “Yes”, with my Tablo’s IP address added to the “Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list” section.

In The WAN - Internet Connection Section, I have the “WAN Connection type” set to “Automatic IP”, the “Enable WAN”, “Enable NAT” and “Enable UPnP” set to “Yes”.

In The WAN - Virtual Server / Port Forwarding section, I have the “Enable Port Forwarding” set to Yes, and I added my Tablo Public Port to Private Port in the “Port Forwarding List”. I’ve tried putting the 8887, 80 & 443 in the “Port Range” and the Public Port numbers in the “Local Port” and vice versa. Which is which?

@TabloSupport if you could help us with this. Thanks

If you have UPnP set up you should not have to set up the port forwarding as well.  I have the RT-AC66U and it worked automatically for me.  I may have needed to reboot the router in order to make it take effect, but I can’t recall.

Interestingly I had to set up a manual port forward for my Plex server - UPnP didn’t work for that.

@DaveTV Can you send me a screenshot of your router’s port mapping table in a ticket? Include your MAC address - this will allow me to check whether or not the port(s) are opening from our end of the server.

@TabloSupport I sent a Ticket. If you need more info, let me know.

@mtr I’ll keep you posted on any developements.

@Pundit My UPnP is set up (Enabled), I’ve tried rebooting 100s of times, tried connecting the Tablo directly to router to see if that would help. I tried creating a Static IP and Port Forwarding as a work around, but nothings working. I must be missing a step.  Is the RT-AC66U the same as the RT-N66U?

To those of you having trouble setting up your Asus router, try checking the settings on your cable or DSL modem. I couldn’t get anything to work until I went into the port forwarding on the modem and set the ports 21140-21142 to forward to my Asus routers ip address. After I did that Asus worked fine with upnp and no other manual settings.

Sorry, I can’t seem to be able to figure out how to link the picture, but this is how my modem settings page looks: http://imgur.com/Ap854Et

Hope this helps.

@DaveTV as far as I know it’s the same basic software under the hood, except for the fact that the AC66U supports the AC protocol (hence the name).

I was wondering if perhaps your ISP may be blocking the traffic on that Tablo-specific port.  Have you tried changing the port number to a lower, more “well-know” service port number?

@SendBeer Thanks for the info, I tried to modify the setup, when I saved and rebooted, I could no longer get access to the modem and the Internet. My ISP said it was the modem, so I got a new one yesterday (a Modem/Router TOTOLINK ND300). I enabled the UPnP and it worked on its own. So now I have an extra Router.

@Pundit Thanks anyways, but I won’t be using my ASUS anymore, my new Modem/Router works on its own with Tablo Connect.

@mtr Try what SendBeer suggested, I hope it works for you, If not, send TabloSupport a Ticket.

Thanks again all,
Dave

Still lot’s of head banging on this one, support request sent Jan 5, 2015 to support@tablotv