Setting recording priority?

And when new guide data come down, I must go back in and look for conflicts again–because I can’t set my scheduled programs in a priority list for the machine to make choice for me.

You have used the Tablo for a while now. Can you document how many times you have had to look for and change your conflicts after you initially set up a conflict?

I have the 4 tuner model and the answer is never…

2 Likes

Almost 100 posts on this thread ago, we said…

However, it seems like we’ve strayed away from actual helpful feedback.

If you have a specific suggestion about how you’d like to see conflict resolution changed, we want to hear it.

But let’s try to keep the circular arguments to a dull roar.

3 Likes

Even though I will always resolve conflicts without a prioritization feature, tablo could always do it like Plex. Then they could always claim they were matching the competition.

Of course if someone in the household starts using the new prioritization feature and lowers my scheduled recordings below theirs, then I’ll need the account login feature(with permissions) to lock them out. But that’s a whole different set of forum threads.

I’m waiting to buy the Quad, so I don’t have any experience with the Tablo DVR yet. Lots of experience with other DVRs, and even with 8+ available tuners in our household, there have been odd times where there were no tuners available (very rare). Still, I think the 4-tuner Quad will satisfy the tuner capacity needs 95% of the time based on our new TV habits that now involve a larger streaming role.

With that said, I think you need something more than ‘conflict resolution’. To me conflict resolution is a post problem fix that requires my continual attention. While it still might solve the problem, it is an low tech solution, on a high tech product. I’m buying the Quad either way, looks like a nice product. Just not an ideal solution.

Adding a comprehensive series/channel priority would resolve most of the conflicts with a set-and-forget solution. It could also function to consolidate control over other specific recording functions. You might still have a conflict resolution section, but make it something that you are alerted to should a conflict still occur.

I’m not going to say that implementing such a feature would be easy, it probably wouldn’t be. But you have a dedicated community that would be willing to provide you with as much beta testing and feedback as you’d like.

A list of shows that have been scheduled to be recorded. Including non repeating ones, that a user can place in a priority order 1-N that when a conflict arises Tablo will record the show in the highest priority.

I have the issue that my sons PBS shows that occur at all hours of the day are trumping my prime time recordings.

It would be nice if you could set a 1-N priority of shows to be recorded if there were conflicts.

This has already been requested and discussed thoroughly, by forums members though. It’s a fun read lol

https://community.tablotv.com/t/setting-recording-priority/

But we are now :smiley:

I suggested adding a scheduling priority like old-school cable DVR have, years ago. Maybe one day it’ll happen, maybe not.

Would it be nice and make the conflict resolutions easier to handle? Yes.
Is it absolutely necessary? No.

1 Like

That’s how ReplayTV handled it.

Weird factoid, and you probably already know… the guy behind ReplayTV is the same guy behind Roku.

I see conflict page mentioned, where can I find it?

You will automatically see a notice if you schedule something with a conflict in the next two weeks. Otherwise go to scheduled shows and then go to conflicts. If you look at the grid view you will see shows that can’t record marked. Click on them and you can resolve conflicts that way as well.

Maybe you can give me some advice. Sunday October 13 I had NASCAR scheduled to record on channel 3-1 NBC at 12:30 pm central time. On channel 9-1 CBS, Chiefs, Texans at 12:00. And 18-1 Fox, Vikings, Eagles at 12:00. And 25-1 a out of market Fox Sea Hawks also at 12:00 central time. So three programs were scheduled to record at noon and one at 12:30. The one scheduled at 12:30 didn’t record and in remarks was no tuner available. After watching first quarter on Fox 18-1 I switched to watch 3-1 NASCAR only to find it wasn’t being recorded. I stopped the recording on Fox 25-1. Tried to watch 3-1 live and got an error message. Can’t find Tablo connect! I had to exit the tablo app on my Roku. Entered another app then back to the tablo app. I was only able to watch the last six laps of the NASCAR stage 1. Rest of the race was rain delayed. The two channels 9-1, and 18-1 also stopped recording, then started new recordings without commercial skip or thumb nails. I’ve only had the tablo since July. I get a lot of the multiple stop and start recordings. Remarks state weak signal. I’m using same setup as previous on TiVo without signal issues. Switched to tablo so I could watch on multiple TVs. Now I’m thinking I may need to connect my TiVo for backup.

If you have your recording quality set to 1080p - 10 Mbps and one of the stations you set to record at 12:00 is broadcasting at 720p, then your Tablo will use two tuners to record that station if two are available. When the program at 12:30 tried to record, all 4 tuners would have been in use.

The error message you saw may have been due to the Tablo rebooting, probably due to a weak signal. Tablo doesn’t handle poor signal quality very well. If it loses the signal, it often locks up the tuner and Tablo’s response is to reboot the entire device rather than just the tuner having problems.

If I’m understanding you correctly the Fox stations transmit at 720 and Both NBC and CBS at 1080i. If I schedule two on the two Fox channels then all four would be in use? Why would 720 need two tuners? So two tuner systems can only record one program? If set at recording quality HD1080-10 Mbps, 720@60fps. In other words I’ve got to set recording quality at HD720-5Mbps or lose a tuner or two?

No, that is incorrect. That only affects 4 tuner systems.

Read the link below.

And a caveat… For 4-Tuner Tablo DVRs ONLY when using the highest recording quality (HD 1080, 720 @ 60fps) Tablo’s fourth tuner will be temporarily disabled if any 720p stations are currently being watched or recorded at 60 fps. This is due to the high processing requirements of this setting. You can read more about that on our Knowledge Base.

1 Like