Roku rebooting

I’m also curious if the reboots are happening only in the Preview App? Is the old Roku App more stable?

Got 6.2.3467 on 6/2. It still reboots on slow fast forward. Just not as frequently. And I only use the old app.

The reboots for me are happening in both Tablo apps, the TED app (several times), and the Youtube App. Not yet on Netflix though.

Some reboots are caused by fast forward others happen spontaneously while watching a show and no buttons are pressed.

Exactly. I normally FF using the directional pad and then resume by pressing OK. I’ve had reboots with both immediately pressing OK as well as backing up one frame first. I’ll try pressing play instead to see how it goes.

Try pausing first also

This does not deal with spontaneous reboots while watching a show without touching buttons.

Spontaneous reboots on the Roku 3 is new. The 2 XS is old news, long time issue.

I went the Roku support route. I have a Roku 3 with the numerous reboot issue. Roku support took about 25 minutes to get to me. They took a few shots at it and finally after having me go to 2 secret screens they updated me to Beta 6.2. I tried it, it is better, only 1 reboot all night, better than 3 every 1/2 hr. Still no cigar though. Roku support basically said it was a Tablo issue and I need to contact Tablo. Frik, or Frak? Not much cooperation going on apparently.

Has anyone tried the Amazon Fire Tablo app? I’ll buy a different streamer if it will work.

@gle

1. What is the beta version number they have you on?
  2. Yes I have used Tablo on the Fire TV and it works well. But others have had issues with stuttering during playback of the Tablo.

The roku restarting is getting out of control for me too. It usually happens when resume playback after FF. Last night I counted 5 restarts in a 2 hour period. I get it that this maybe a Roku issue, but this happens most on Tablo for me. I remember just 1 instance where Netflix rebooted.

Perhaps there is something Tablo can tweak to prevent or minimize this (even though it is not Tablo’s fault)? The option of waiting for Roku to fix it whenever they feel like getting to isn’t quite working for me. I’d be happy to ditch Roku, but it is by far the best experience for Tablo so that is not a viable option at this point.

The Fire TV experience is better than the Roku experience in my opinion. The interface is more responsive. When you hit FF on the Fire TV it displays the next video frame before resuming, so you can just hit FF again for another 30 seconds. Yes, it is not as sweet as the thumbnail preview on the Roku but zero rebooting issues.

1 Like

@theuser86 thanks, I will check it out. I do have a Fire stick on a secondary TV which is really not used that much which I can try out. I am assuming the UI would be the same on the stick with the main difference being performance? By roku being better I really mean thumbnails which for me is probably the single best feature in the Tablo roku app if i had to pick one.

I think it is a ymmv kind of thing. Not everyone is having reboots on Roku, and not everyone is having stuttering on FireTV. It almost seems like these issues might be related to the home network more than the device itself.

@philsoft

I agree. My Roku 3 Model 4200 does not reboot (knock on wood) nor does my Fire TV stutter (knock on wood).

So I am laughing to the bank lol

Yes the AFTV Stick is a lot slower from a UI respective than the Box.

Since the Roku update, I had one reboot, but ever since, things are looking good. I stressed it out yesterday while watching the Canadian GP while it was recording and FF and REW. No Reboots.

My Roku boxes continue to absolutely stink when using Tablo. No problems whatsoever with Amazon, Livestream, PBS, History Channel (all used heavily).

The firmware upgrade DID NOT HELP and all of my 6 Roku 3 boxes crash several times per hour.

Just to repeat (with fond memories) that I HAD NO REBOOT ISSUES WHATSOEVER UNTIL THE DAY I INSTALLED THE TABLO FIRMWARE UPDATE…

I know – it’s all Roku’s fault…

And By The Way…I would have NEVER purchased Roku boxes 2 through 6 had it worked so terribly. The Tablo update coincided with my whole house system going from great to absolutely crummy. Pardon my rants…

Is it possible to downgrade the Tablo firmware to an earlier version? If so, providing that as an option would provide those experiencing reboots the opportunity to see if that resolves the problem. It might not help given that you’re still stuck with the latest Roku firmware but it can’t hurt. Just a thought.

@SGinAZ

The issue is not with the Tablo firmware, but with the Roku firmware. As well, Roku does not allow you to downgrade the firmware on their units.

I am not so sure about it being a firmware issue, either Roku OR Tablo. Most people that were having reboots on the old Roku firmware (myself included) are no longer having reboots. This sounds more like something isolated to specific setups.

Could be the router, or wired vs wireless, or local interference, or crosstalk in wiring, or a bad ethernet cable, or any number of things