Roku rebooting

With the preview release I have noticed that my Roku will reboot from time to time. I think I am hitting a sequence of buttons that causes this. I am changing my behavior to use the fast forward more because I think the reboot is related to using the arrow for one frame at a time both up and back? Just FYI nothing that I know of that you can do since a Rokuy default boot I think.

1 Like

I have been seeing the reboot issue since the Roku firmware update. I don’t think it is specific to the preview.

I updated my roku to the latest on Monday before the NCAA finals. When I went to play the game on the Roku 3 via tablo, twice during watching it the roku rebooted. It was when I hit the >> button to fast forward past the commercials. I was not on the tablo app preview. 

I updated my roku to the latest on Monday before the NCAA finals. When I went to play the game on the Roku 3 via tablo, twice during watching it the roku rebooted. It was when I hit the >> button to fast forward past the commercials. I was not on the tablo app preview. 

Yes I have the issue when using remote not app. I had issue when using the right or left arrows that go one segment at a time. 

As I mentioned in another thread, my roku software was updated yesterday to 2.6.3332 and I had 6 reboots in 10 hours using the old tablo app. All while doing a slow speed fast forward over rather long commercials. Never had a reboot while using higher speed fast forward or standard playing.

Yup same here.  Roku has rebooted three times in the last two hours now while using the Tablo app.  Both on a recorded show and Live TV in the new app. Happened once last night with the old app as well.  Each time while using the arrow right button.

Going to bet the Roku firmware is to blame.

This is the second time a Roku update “breaks” my setup and I’m seriously considering dumping the POS product if it happens one more time.  Totally disgusted now.
1 Like

I am not seeing this issue at all. May I sugget using my Roku upgrade method? I update then do a factory reset. They don’t issue that many updates so I don’t mind doing a reset once in awhile. I have never had an update break my Roku doing it this way.

As I mentioned in another thread, my roku software was updated yesterday to 2.6.3332 and I had 6 reboots in 10 hours using the old tablo app. All while doing a slow speed fast forward over rather long commercials. Never had a reboot while using higher speed fast forward or standard playing.

Sounds like my problem. When you say old app do you mean the Roku app that shows on the TV when you use the remote? If so did you change the app and did it make better?

Same issue here with the roku rebooting during fast forward of recorded shows. As @zippy had mentioned it didn’t begin until the roku update yesterday. I was running roku beta with the new app and did not see this problem at all until yesterday.

I am one update behind and I was problem prior to last update

Yesterday I upgraded my Tablo firmware and used the Tablo Preview Roku app. Last night I had no reboots. 

Side note: I like the new roku app. 

This sounds like a Roku firmware issue, but we’d really like to dive deep on this to see if there’s something we maybe able to do to avoid triggering it.

If any/all of you keep seeing this behaviour, can you make note of a few things going forward so that we can try narrow this down?

-What model of the Roku are you using? You can get the exact number by navigating to Settings > About in the main Roku menu.

- If you were using the Tablo channel when this happened, were you doing anything in particular that seems to make it happen more often? @zippy Noted that FF/RW toggles appeared to trigger it more. Is it the same for you? Let us know.

- And finally: confirm what firmware version of the Roku you’re using.

Thanks all!

roku 3 - 4200x. And the only thing that I use the roku for is the tablo app.

I tested it pretty hard last night with both live tv and recordings and had no reboots. I have stated a couple times on a couple threads, I always do a factory reset after a Roku firmware update. 

Last night we watched two recordings and about 30 minutes of live TV and there were no reboots.  Will report back when it happens again with exact versions of everything.

Here is another hint. I only record in 720p. Yesterday I had one reboot where at the start of the recording I started the low speed fast forward past junk at the start of the recording. When the Roku froze before the reboot the forward time on the T.V. screen said 4 minutes. After the Roku reboot the tablo saved time said  3 minutes 40 seconds.

@TabloSupport, I just had it happen.  I have Roku3 4200x.  I was using the Preview App and had just watched a show and deleted, then selected another show to watch and within 2 minutes, my Roku rebooted.

@TabloSupport I’ve been having trouble with this (roku crashing) all night on both the preview app and the normal app. Can also confirm it didn’t happen before the tablo firmware update. Only seems to happen when I’m fast forwarding (using fast forward button). Roku 3 4200x version 6.2 build 3332

@TabloSupport, I had it happen at least 5 times todays.  After the reboot, I go back into the show I was watching, which typically is 5-15 min into it, then I am able to watch the rest of the show, Delete it, and then start watching the next show.  It has never happened while the show was playing, EVERY time, I was using 2x Fast forward and then I usually went to far so hit the Rewind button once while the 2x FF was still in process.  It shows the video as paused and then reboots itself.

Thought maybe it was related to one TV station, so I noted the shows watched in order.  Chicago PD (NBC 1080i), then Chicago PD (NBC 1080i), then Chicago Fire (NBC 1080i), then Chicago Fire(NBC 1080i), then The Odd Couple((CBS 1080i).  The Roku rebooted anywhere from 5-15 minutes in during every one of these shows. 

After that I watched Fresh off the Boat (ABC 720p) and then 2 Episodes of Bones (Fox 720p) and none of these shows caused the Roku to reboot.   

My Roku is Roku 3 4200x version 6.2 build 3332  and my display setting for it is set to 1080p.  My Tablo is hard wired and my Roku is Wireless.  On the Tablo my Sound effects are ON, Channel is 2.0 Build 4 and Software is .28

You may not need all of this but better too much info than not enough.

If reviewing my logs will help let me know, you should have my MAC from the Roku and Amazon Beta tests.

@crm1975

Have you tried factory resetting your Roku? When you re-link the Roku to your account it will re-install all your channels automatically.

I have a Roku 3 with the same 6.2 firmware, new Tablo preview channel and .28 firmware. I have not experienced the rebooting issue. So guess it’s worth a try.