Roku rebooting

I have Tablo recordings set to 720p and Roku set to 1080p.

There are two reports of rebooting on the Roku forums somaybe it is starting to get some exposure at Roku.

I did factory resets on all of my Roku 3 boxes and the reboot issues seem to have disappeared for the short testing period I tried. I deliberately ‘scrubbed’ the timelines a lot, with many FF and Fast Backward steps with no reboots !!! Will test further and report back here.

Thanks for the suggestion !!

Larry

I have not had it reboot on Tablo, but Go Pro channel rebooted the Roku 3.  My Tablo is set to record at 720 and Roku set to 1080.  I might try changing Roku 3 to 720 since that’s all my tv is anyway (but it said it could handle 1080)

on the latest roku app and latest tablo firmware, the ff eventually causes the roku app to freeze and then the roku device would reboot. recording on the tablo is at 720P and roku 3 is set to play back at 1080P.

The good news is that there are way less reboots since doing resets. The bad news is that they still occur, thankfully much less often, and the reboot is automatic, not requiring power adapter disconnect / reconnect. I could now live with the remaining issue, whereas before it spoiled playback on any shows with commercials requiring fast forward skipping.

Maybe a useful clue for software debugging:

The more I use the Roku since the hard reset, the worse the reboot issue becomes. This may suggest a memory leak or “garbage collection” problem.

also worth noting that rebooting, being a soft reset, does not reduce the incidence of the problem whereas hard reset seems to temporarily reduce the freezes/reboots. Logical question thus is: what gets re-initialized in hard resets but not in reboots which might overflow, lack cache currentcy, etc…

It’s now two days later, after my reset of all six Roku boxes, and I am back to where I was a week ago.

I am frequently rebooting whenever I fast forward or reverse, and it makes watching programs with commercials nearly impossible.

The bottom line:

Hard reset temporarily fixes the problem but only for a short period of time.

Larry

Is this a problem with recordings or live TV?  

i don’t use Tablo for live TV, only recording for delayed playback, skipping commercials. No longer very usable…

I assume you have submitted a trouble ticket and had them look at your logs, @RetiredEngineer?  If not, that is your next strp.

This is not normal behavior on Rokus.  

This problrm has been experienced immediately after the recent firmware update by numerous Roku users and, supposedly, they are working on a fix. I and the OP and others can submit tickets if that would help. I am also sssuming Tablo people read these threads.

This a glaring, extremely disruptive bug for those of us who only use Roku players. I am astonished it was not caught in beta testing as it happens very often and spoils the use of the Tablo since the latest update release, itself a nearly useless 2nd app which is mostly a crippled demo.

@RetiredEngineer

The new Tablo channel was beta tested on the Roku firmware v6.1. No issues noted.

Roku updated the firmware to v6.2 after the beta testing, one day after the Preview channel went live to be exact, and all the rebooting issues started. Other users have reported rebooting issues with other Roku channels other than Tablo. So it seems to be caused by Roku.

Tablo now has to fix it.

Aha ! Was not aware of the coincidence of both Roku and Tablo firmware updates. Hope Tablo gets a fix soon. My other Roku channels seem to work ok but Tablo went from great to bad overnight.

To bad Roku didn’t let Tablo know the new firmware update was coming.  Is there a way to revert back to the old firmware? 

No way to revert back - Roku support is annoying.

@beastman

I changed my Tablo recording options to 720p and have not had a reboot in 2 days.  My Roku3 is still at 1080p. I’m not saying it fixed it but it is definitely better than when I had it at 1080p.  

Same issue here with a brand new Tablo 2 tuner and Roku 3.  The Roku reboots occur when attempting to play following a fast forward.  Did factory reset of the Roku, no change.  Rebooted all devices, no change.  It doesn’t matter whether the last move was forward or backward, still crashes.  The reboots become more frequent until the tablo is unusable.  Makes fast forwarding a real nail-biter.

I still have yet to see tablo acknowledge this issue???