Roku rebooting

@RetiredEngineer - I had a chat with the Roku team this morning to further investigate what exactly you’re seeing.

So I believe the date you’re seeing (February 2015) is the metadata for the legacy (public) Roku channel. This indeed has not been updated since February 2015 as we’ve been focusing on the NEW beta preview channel. This new beta channel will become the new public channel once we’ve reached feature parity with the current public channel, at which time we’ll make the swap and the current public channel will move to a private channel.

If you’d like the latest & greatest, you can go here and follow the instructions to add it to your Roku https://www.tablotv.com/roku-preview/

This will continue to be updated moving forward.

If you’d like to become a beta tester for new loads as they’re available, send a note to @TabloSupport with your MAC address and the list of devices you have available to test and we’ll get you added.

Not to be argumentative…But the preview app was uploaded in April… and to my knowledge not updated… RIGHT?

@goodguytoo

This is incorrect. As previously stated:

I agree now. I searched for the info.Just excited to see more features implemented.

Below are the notes for the last update.

We’ve rolled out an update to the Preview Roku channel which includes the following:

New dialogs added for:
Scheduling a show
Choosing between resuming playback on a partially watched recording, or starting from beginning
Confirmation when deleting recordings
Overall performance improvements
Use of Roku system sounds for user actions including scrolling and selecting
Channel now obeys Roku device sound settings (on/off, volume level)
Variety of small bug fixes
To get the update, go to your Roku and navigate to the System Settings screen and check for updates. Your Roku will receive notice on the Tablo Preview channel of software ‘2.0 - build 9’.

If you have any any feedback you’d like to share with us let us know below.

This is the third update of many more to come! Stay tuned.

1 Like

Thank you @TabloTV for your reply confirming February 9, 2015 as the most current Roku 3 release of the official Tablo channel app. Subsequent beta releases have been Preview Tablo channel code.

I also thank you for pointing me to a future opportunity to partner in testing with a sincere belief and hope that we can eliminate this most annoying reboot issue. I will directly contact support to enroll.

Larry

You mean the one that fixes the problem on the Roku LT that I’m running? Being as it fixes that problem, to me it seems as though it should be released today or tomorrow, instead of on a Friday. I wonder how many others have the Roku LT who can not use the Tablo Preview Channel and think it’s bad. We need to let them see it really does work.

There are 3 versions of the Roku channel:

1. Legacy channel available in the channel store. Last updated in Feb?
  2. Preview channel which is only added as a private channel (any one can install this one). Last updated in June 2015.
  3. Preview BETA channel which you must be given access to by Tablo.

Which are you using?

@theuser86 I am running the Tablo Beta Preview channel. It works on the Roku LT.

The Preview channel does NOT work on Roku LT

The original released Tablo channel in the Roku store also works on the Roku LT.

All three of them work on the Roku 3.

Hi all, New to Tablo and Roku 3. I have noticed a few problems with my Roku rebooting randomly. Some of my assumptions are as follows:

1. While watching Tablo 4 tuner Roku 3 reboots itself when the Roku 3 checks for current updates. I assume this is the issue because went to my Roku 3 system to check system updates and at the exact time my Roku 3 rebooted is exactly when my Roku 3 checked for updates.
  2. While watching Tablo 4 tuner on my Roku 3 I started recording a show but wanted to watch it at the same time. Once the show was done recording the Roku 3 rebooted even though I was still trying to watch the show because I was way behind the live show. I assume this was the problem because usually when I am watching a recorded show and stop at some point I can go back and watch where I left off. This time I went back and the Tablo showed my show as if I had not watched any of it.
  3. While watching Tablo 4 tuner it does seem that the Roku 3 does crash when fast forwarding at times or sometimes it takes a while to stream the show again but I am more certain of the first to issues than this third one causing the Roku to reboot.

"There are 3 versions of the Roku channel:

1. Legacy channel available in the channel store. Last updated in Feb?
  2. Preview channel which is only added as a private channel (any one can install this one). Last updated in June 2015.
  3. Preview BETA channel which you must be given access to by Tablo.

Which one are you using?"

I guess this question above was intended for me from @theuser86 as to which Tablo app I am using. As a non-Beta tester I do not have access to the third variant only offered to testers. Nor do I have an interest in the 2nd one you mention since the Preview channel lacks the functions I want, has functions I do not want (grid guide) and is a beta release.

I have always and only used the official Tablo channel offered on the Roku publicly released February 9th and not updated since then. All Roku owners by default are using this “legacy” app which is so old that the term “legacy” does make some sense. My observation stated earlier related to the total lack of any maintenance updates in over 7 months.

Adding new features and “previewing” them is not what I am focusing on but I am questioning the absence of Tablo fixing user-reported bugs in an ongoing effort to improve the reliability and stability of existing features. I am actually amazed that 3 Roku firmware updates, 2 Tablo firmware updates, as well as reported bugs on this forum have not resulted in any changes whatsover to the Tablo channel app since February.

Larry

When the Preview Channel was released, Tablo clarified that it would keep the legacy channel available only until the Preview Channel reached feature parity with the original channel. At this point, I believe that feature parity will be reached when varous sorting screens are added to enable viewing of Recordinings. To my recollection, there never was any suggestion (nor does it make sense in my view) for Tablo to devote resources to improving a Channel version that was destined to take its place on the ash heap of history. Rather, all programing resources were devoted to the Roku Preview app that would replace it in order to reach feature parity as quickly as possible…

I undertand that you may have a different view of how Tablo should have proceeded. I think their approach was sound (even if some are not pleased with the execution).

1 Like

I highly suggest you try the Tablo Preview channel, it may fix your rebooting problems.

@shanesucre What recording quality do you have it set at? If not 720 or 720/Roku please try changing it.

I have installed and tried the Preview Channel multiple times, and like others have reported here, found no improvement whatsoever in rebooting.

Further, there has been no claim by Tablo that any effort has been expanded to localize and fix the Tablo channel app for this issue, giving no reason to expect any improvement in this regard.

The preview channel has been described as the new feature app, and my conclusion simply is that many, many Roku users of Tablo have reported dozens of Tablo / Roku issues in this online forum / community, some of which profoundly are affecting playback, recording, and other basic functions, yet no change or update to the channel app we are all using has occurred whatsoever in a really long time. It made me question whether software staff was available / assigned to repairing known problems with Roku-related Tablo issues.

@theuser86, sadly I can confidently confirm that the Tablo Preview channel does not fix the Roku reboot issue – I have been using it extensively for approx 2 months with Roku 4230R and 4200X. I still see the reboot issue multiple times per day as I write this.

Unfortunately, the time I save by being able to “skip” the commercials is more than lost by waiting for the Roku(s) to reboot. In fact, it is faster to just get up unplug/plug back in the Roku.

That is very unfortunate.

Let’s hope Roku fixes their firmware issue soon then.

Tablo Support has provided you with many status updates on this issue. It is not universal to all Roku 3s. They are working with Roku to fix the issue, it is a firmware issue on the Roku per the Roku team and Tablo team.

In the meantime while you wait, maybe get a Nexus Player or the new Fire TV. Playback is great.

@theuser86

I have nearly $700 invested in Roku 3’s and no intention to replace them with another box with other known current bugs.

Believe me, I dearly wish I did not need to complain and that this problem was solved.

And would you mind stating your first name, please?

Thank you,
Larry

I have been experiencing and monitoring this issue since it started. Since the progress has been slow, I went and logged a support case with Roku for the ff crash issue. It took Roku support a month just to acknowledge the case was logged. (Which probably explains why progress has been so slow). So if you have not done so it might help to log a case with Roku. The more pressure they feel perhaps someday they might actually decide to work on the issue. But while I like the Roku playback experience I am researching alternatives.

I wonder if the sole reason more people see reboots on the Tablo channel is that FF is simply used more on Tablo than other channels. I know for me Netflix doesn’t have commercials so I don’t FF there, Hulu Plus has very few commercials and short ones (and if I remember correctly you can’t FF through them anyway), which then brings us to Tablo. The OTA commercials are long and plentiful justifying heavy use of FF and then if you are over enthusiastic ooops back it up a frame or two. I also wonder if this situation is aggravated by the new thumbnails. Before, to skip a commercial on shows I watched all the time it was a slow FF counting clicks for instance Hogan’s Heroes, Intro credits - 8 clicks, First commercial break 12 clicks, Second commercial break 18 clicks and then possibly 4 more. I know I clicked FF slower because I was counting them now I can just watch the pictures and the FF gets clicked faster. Just some random thoughts. I to am experiencing the reboots on my roku 3 with tablo and will start trying to troubleshoot it tonight as it has gotten worse over time so I will try a hard factory reset first and see if that does anything. Then I will abuse Hulu and Netflix and see if I get the reboots there. Again just some musings.

Good Luck-
Greg