Roku rebooting

Over the last 3 days my Tablo has been freezing on live and recorded content constantly. Rebooting does nothing.

@gprzybyl - We agree that people are likely seeing this more on Tablo because of the heavy use of FFW. We have eliminated FFW previews as a potential cause as even with test streams provided by Roku on Roku test players we have been able to reproduce the issue.

We have escalated this issue to the C-level in hopes that we can finally get some resolution on this.

4 Likes

Awesome! I didnā€™t think the previews caused the problem I was thinking it uncovered the underlying bug with roku which it sounds like from your post it did. Great job! Hopefully Roku will fix it quickly as there are some newer boxes coming out that have more bells and whistles than the rokuā€¦

Roku3 for meā€¦same as posts before me. seems if I FFWD and Pause then RWD or FFWD again to fast that triggers the re-boot. Every time it freezes I know what is coming next. Glad to hear it isnā€™t just me.

1 Like

Reboots are back!!!

Three new TV show recordings and three reboots now. I will update the dev team.

1 Like

Make that four shows and four reboots.

Anyone want to buy a 2-tuner Tablo?

1 Like

Clarification please. When you say ā€œtest playersā€ do you mean a Roku test app or a Roku test device running the Tablo app?

Thanks!

@SGinAZ - Roku offers test HLS streams as well as test software players. This is what we used to reproduce the issue. We also tried with HLS streams from Tablo and other sources as well.

So if Iā€™m reading this correctly, you have been able to reproduce reboots using streams and test players provided by Roku and completely independent of the Tablo and its apps? If true, that is a significant finding with respect to where the root cause lies.

2 Likes

Seems soā€¦

Most of this discussion seems to focus on reboots with FFW functions (which I have also experienced), but since the update my Roku reboots after simply trying to load the guide data. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a different thread for this issue? I have two Roku3ā€™s and numerous sticks. The tvā€™s with the sticks donā€™t generally use Tablo, so most of our issues are with the Roku3ā€™s.

That is correct.

I am on the Roku (not Tablo) beta testing team, and I finally received a build last night where I canā€™t recreate the reboots using my Tablo. Itā€™s not perfect, since sometimes when I tune to a live tv channel, the screen will freeze on ā€œLoadingā€ while audio is playing, but it definitely is the best so far.

Before this build, it was happening about once per half hour show. With this build, I went through an entire NFL game with no reboots as well as a couple of other shows. It is encouraging. I know they are working with the Tablo folks to get this resolved.

2 Likes

I never had the reboot issue that @snowcat addresses, but the screen issues (i.e. ā€œLoadingā€ screen while audio plays and black screen while audio plays) are still present.

Which beta versions of Roku?

Sorry for my ignorance but is there a solution to the ā€˜freezeā€™ problem? Tablo support is trying to tell me that itā€™s my antenna but I know thatā€™s not the issue because itā€™s happening on live shows and recorded shows AND on multiple channels.

Itā€™s a 7.x version running on my older Roku 3 boxes.

A marginal antenna can indeed cause freezing on both live as well as recorded shows on any / all weak channels. Tablo Support is offering good advice.

1 Like

Unfortunately I got my first Tablo FF Roku reboot in a long time under that same beta firmware (the one we got this week).

Iā€™ve been using Roku 3 about 6 months, Tablo for 3 weeks. Prior to Tablo, I was in the habit of using the Roku play & ok buttons interchangeably. With frequent Roku restarts while using Tablo, I began paying more attention to my actions. Fingers crossed, but my last restart was two days ago, when I observed I pressed the ā€œokā€ button after FFW. There have been no Roku restarts since I made a conscious effort to follow use of FFW with play - NOT ā€œokā€. I used REW earlier today, then accidentally pressed ok. Restart! Iā€™m neither a tester nor tech genius, but add my experience to the discussion.

2 Likes