Roku rebooting

Swapped Rokus with one from Nuvyyo. So far no reboots after two TV shows. However this one has a totally different firmware on it, looks like a beta.

Will keep posting over the next week as we go through recorded shows.

2 Likes

So very cool that you and they could actually do that. It is what makes Tablo special to me!

Would it be okay to share the firmware version…curious minds want to know…

Every once in a while we do house calls. :wink:

3 Likes

Quick update. The unit I have now has been rock solid in 3 days of watching recordings.

My unit has been undergoing heavy testing and is rebooting at Tablo HQ. They are working hard to find the root cause.

3 Likes

This is quite interesting. It must be some difference in internal hardware of your Roku that you sent Tablo.

You just started using the Roku provided by Tablo with the same network infrastructure and no reboots?

1 Like

Correct.

Gasp: it’s not the network’s fault.

2 Likes

It is still surprising to think the same Roku (say the 4200) running the same software version would cause issues because of minute differences in the internal hardware.

My roku 3, 4200x, had roku firmware 6.2.3672 pushed out at 10:45 pm Sept 1st. Maybe that firmware will make a difference

1 Like

Interesting, I have 6.2.3675

Firmware on the 4200x units were different. Mine had 6.2.32xx and this one has 6.2.60xx.

1 Like

My Roku 3 4200x V6.2 Build 3467 rebooted last night while attempting to FF using the true >>FF button while watching Sling TV. It froze, went to the home screen I believe and then rebooted. (Note that once it froze I did hit various buttons such as Home.) It also did not save the progress in the show I was watching like it normally does. So, my thinking that it was just the Tablo app is no longer true although it was definitely happening much more frequently with Tablo. And as stated earlier in the thread the fact that FF is really only necessary with Tablo might be the reason for the increased frequency of the issue.

Update 9/6 - Roku 3 got Build 3672 and Roku 1s got Build 3678 sometime in the last couple of days. I just tried to duplicate the reboot scenario without success and so far no rebooting/freezing on either 1 or 3. Crossing fingers.

I also received that new firmware yesterday on my Roku’s. Fingers crossed it fixes the reboot on FFW issue!

Latest Roku Sept. 1st firmware on 5 of my Rokus, still crashing. In my 35 minutes on treadmill this morning, 3 crashes while doing 5 fast forward commercial skips. Actually seems a bit worse now rather than better.

@Jestep - since you have a slightly later version (than yesterday’s release 6.2.3672) - what has been your experience with reboots - same, better, or worse?

I have only ever had one reboot. An no change since this version.

If it helps, mine is crashing on FF now too.

roku firmware 6.2.3672 didn’t seem to help the problem. But I have 2 2-tuner tablos. One on tablo firmware 2.1.30 and the other on 2.2.2. I record an NFL game on the 2.2.2 tablo last night. And as I fast forwarded through the junk it still crashed but not as often. But that was only one small sample.

Well, welcome to the club! :smile:

Thanks, I might have to take that up with Roku :neutral_face:

philsoft, now yours is crashing and mine stopped with the latest firmware update of 6.2 3672 on a 4200x (even when I re-installed the Preview app. back again).
How weird is that?

I am curious if you have a 4200 or 4200X?
Could the new firmware fix the problem in the 4200x units and cause it on the 4200 units?
How else could this strange behavior change be explained I wonder.

Thanks