Roku rebooting

For those of us that are experiencing this frustrating problem this remark is needlessly inflammatory. This is an interactive Tablo/Roku issue. I’m happy that most users are not having to deal with this, but for those of us who are this forum has proved to be useful … We now have the company’s attention. RetiredEngineer has played the squeaky wheel role (thank you). People stating that they do not have the problem have added their data points (thank you).

1 Like

It is NOT a single app. That is one of the problems here. Retired Engineer would like everyone to BELIEVE that it is only the Tablo channel, but I have had occasional FF related reboots in Hulu Plus, CBS all access, and AOL.On, others have reported FF reboots in HBO Go and other channels. Unfortunately there are those that want the issue to be Nuvyyo’s problem. I am not certain WHY, but I suspect that it has something to do with the fact that Nuvyyo is more responsive than Roku on the subject.

You have the issue, and posting such is fine, but when a “Squeaky wheel” gets greased one would expect it to get quieter, NOT louder, and that particular wheel has been greased repeatedly.

@Vonda_Z - Beautifully stated!

1 Like

Philsoft-

Please provide links to show us where others have reported FFReboot crashes. There are over 10 million Roku boxes out there and about 1700 channels. Certainly you can find web sites for some of these other examples you like to cite. One single post on the specific Roku developer forum I originally scoured and then publucized here is hardly proof.

Don’t offer links which show Roku crashing in other ways. I absolutely agree that Roku has several failure modes but I am tired of hearing your snarky comments about “alleged” Tablo crashes and comments beginning with “If you are telling the truth”.

If you are so positive that others have FFReboot issues then prove it with evidence. The Internet is loaded with bligs, forums, user groups, and opinions and comments Please show us what your research comes up with.

And recognize that more than 1 channel can have a programming error not preventable by your fictional Roku “closed system”.

Larry

1 Like

OK guys…

We know there is an issue. We don’t know yet where or why this issue exists. We are doing our best to figure it out and hopefully Luker’s Rokus can help us understand.

Can we just all agree on a ceasefire until we have more (and accurate) information?

5 Likes

Sure, and can we know what other Roku channels are, as you previously stated, known to have the same problem, and how this was demonstrated?

(4th request for above)

In a world-wide view, that may well be true. In my user experience over the past few months, it is ONLY the Tablo app on Roku that EVER creates a reboot. I usually see a reboot within the first 30 minutes of watching a Tablo recording on Roku, and with 90%+ confidence will see one in the first 60 minutes of playback. In that same few months, I’ve watched many hours (more than I’d care to admit :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) of HBO GO, Hulu+, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Showtime Anytime, and random other channels - without one, not a single, reboot.
This is why people who are on this forum, with this problem, are looking to Nuvyyo for support.

Edit:
And having seen @TabloTV request for a cease fire after posting this - Peace Out!

Same here. I installed and tested EVERY OTHER channel which other people cited and can never get a single FFReboot. This is why I remain so critical and why I sm using a rifle rather than a shotgun to hit this target.

One would hope that if Hulu, CBS et all experience the same issue, then Roku would feel the heat from multiple user bases simultaneously. I think that Hulu and CBS would have a lot more leverage with Roku than Nuvyyo. Hulu has a huge user base but I have been unable to find more than a single comment (albeit a simple google search). Would it be possible to supply a link to a Hulu forum that discusses this specific issue in detail?

Here are a couple of links. I am not going to keep looking, but there are other complaints too.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=88228&sid=c2bdb6a6e909a73049b931488a75c82d

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=88640&sid=fd6656c37ae7d989f7013a8998550cb7

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=88519&p=498638&sid=c686d1132d92126d102497cfa7a61d21

Good points philsoft except the wheel hasn’t been greased now, has it?
The problem still exists.

I do however have a theory why people aren’t complaining of the FF/Reboot on other apps as much…
Perhaps it is because people F/F past commercials quit often and on other apps like Hulu+, HBO Go etc. they don’t often F/F because there are no commercials to skip?

I believe that is why I personally hadn’t seen it on any of the other apps (Roku channels) I used, TabloTV is the only app. I regularly F/F on. But as I stated many times, now that I deleted the preview channel my box no longer has that problem.
Thanks and I believe this will be figured out soon, so no more complaining from me.
Doni

1 Like

The wheel HAS been greased as much as it can.

That is absolutely true.

1 Like

I agree on that!
:slight_smile:

philsoft,

None of the 3 links you posted are reboots provoked by fast forward key use.

Roku has other rebooting issues which are well known. I am looking for fast forward then play crashes like Tablo has.

The prior 3 links posted in this thread monthes ago were the same thing, proof that Rokus have crashes, but like your examples do not happen with fast forward and then play.

And by the way…why do your examples happen in AOL, etc. but not in Tablo? A “closed” Roku system should NEVER allow that, or so you claim.

I think @TabloTv has said about all there is to say. Both the Tablo folks and Roku folks are working on a solution, and there is no ETA.

There really is no point arguing about this anymore. For those people that are having issues, please be patient. For those not having the issue, please be understanding to those that are having problems.

This isn’t fun for anyone.

6 Likes

The second link says something about arrow keys or something and the third link SPECIFICALLY says he uses the right arrow key to skip ahead in the MLS channel.

It shouldn’t! So what is your point?

Philsoft, you are obviously a troll.

There is NOTHING in the second post about arrow keys whatsover.

The third post specifically says that this is NOT provoked by fast forward or rewind keys.

The first post is also utterly unrelated.

And since you insist that individual channels like Tablo cannot have programming errors which cause reboots and crashes since Roku is a “closed” system, I ask you (again) why the different forms of reboots appearing on the Roku developer site ONLY OCCUR on specific channels but not on others. If you understood how channel apps work, you would recognize and acknowkedge that bad coding and misunderstandings of how to use the Roku APIs CAN CAUSE REBOOTS, possibly explaining Tablo code being the issue here.

A sincere person would acknowledge the above. A troll will post further confusion and misinformation. Which are you?

The third post says (paste)Observations:
The reboots happen only during arrow presses not FF or RW.(/paste) which means he is using the arrow keys to FF and Rew. Are we really going to argue about whether or not using the arrow keys is considered FFw’ing?

The second post, you are correct about, it must have been a different post I was thinking of than the one I linked to.

Because Roku needs to figure out WHY and fix it. They have created a nice little sandbox for the developers to work in. If they are able to crash the box, then Roku hasn’t “Roped Off” that sandbox properly and they need to fix it. It isn’t like the individual channels can fix that problem FOR them.

Ok Enough is enough, @TabloTV can we lock this thread? The mean spiritedness has come to a boiling point and it is not helping anyone.

Speaking for myself, I pledge and promise absolutely no further posts or comments to philsoft. If they have appeared harsh, I very much apologize to those reading here.

Given the unresolved nature of this issue, I would personally ask that further exchanges in general be permitted. Some suggestions here have indeed been helpful, and I personally have fewer reboots now as a result of using a shorter ethernet cable to my Tablo. This thread may provide some future ideas and help and answers to others as well.

Thank you,
Larry

1 Like