Roku rebooting

My reboots are not so repeatable. However, I have fluctuating delay time between hitting remote keys and getting Tablo responses, and my reboots seem to happen only when these delays are longer. My network is otherwise not busy and no other significant traffic is occuring so not sure why the latency fluctuates so greatly.

Mine is now starting to reboot more frequently, to the point of annoying.

1 Like

I’ve been LOVING my TabloTV since it was first released over a year now BUT as others on here my ROKU 3 has begun annoyingly freezing and auto rebooting to the point I am no longer able to enjoy my TabloTV as much anymore.
Which is so sad!

Last week I drilled holes on top of my Roku3 box itself as I thought the hardware was possibly having heat issues in the summer (since this issue is recent for me, started this season). I seen a video online that claimed the better ventilation would help the ROKU not freeze up, unfortunately it didn’t help this issue.

So I came here looking for solutions after waiting months for this issue to be worked out by companies, both ROKU & TabloTV.

Does anyone know if this issue is strictly on the Roku?
Perhaps I need to invest on an appleTV?
Does anyone know if that app has this issue of rebooting when f/f or r/w commercials?

Thanks everyone!
Doni

Nice on you for trying to fix it. Those holes must looks cra’y

Anyways, the Fire TV box or Nexus Player works well. Apple TV requires AirPlay from an iOS device.

2 Likes

Thanks “theuser86”, I forgot about needing an iOS device with appleTV, so I need to rule that one out.
I actually have a fireTV but I seem to have just as many problems with that box in general (needing for it to reboot every so often). I’ve actually gone back and forth between them during reboots in the past as I can’t stand waiting with nothing on the screen.
:slight_smile:
Also, I’m not crazy about the FireTV’s TabloTV app layout, I miss the most recent shows on top like the Roku shows them. Although the Roku preview app is also missing that feature, I am hoping they add it before the final version is released.

Maybe I’ll just try streaming from a chrome-stick using my PC’s browser next until the Roku firmware issue is resolved.
The only problem then is having to have the PC on, the Roku + TabloTV is a much more convenient option for me.
Thanks again for the reply!

PS The Roku3 don’t look so bad with the holes I put in it, and with the heat escaping should run cooler for what that is worth. I wonder if I can post a photo on this thread?

You def can - take one with your phone and use the browser on your phone to surf the forums. Photos can be uploaded easily.

sorry! “theuser86”
I tried posting the photo and ended up creating a totally new thread which wasn’t my intention at all.
Anyway, here is the photo.
Doni

I finally had Tablo crash on me on the Roku Ff commercials. I’m going to to using my FireTV stick and see how it works when ff Comercials.

2 Days with no rebooting! woohoo! LOL

I might be jumping the gun in declaring my problem is totally gone BUT it hasn’t done it in 2 days now. Plus I’ve been deliberately trying to confuse it, pressing f/f and r/w buttons several times over and over along with the pause and play!
In the past pushing the buttons more than a few times rebooted, even as much as 3x in one 30 minute program. So I am very happy the problem is gone for me!

Now, having said that, I don’t believe it was my holes that fixed it! Because it had continued to do for a day even after the holes.
The next 2 things I did try were…

1. I added a microSD card in the back and formatted it for use as channel memory. It appears to have used 12% already so it must have been low on memory?
    I also deleted a lot of stupid channels I never actually used after loading them.

And, no.2…I deleted my TabloTV preview Channel! Perhaps the 2 apps can’t play nice together?
I only think this because it seems to have started after I loaded the preview Tablo channel on my Roku (I can’t be sure however).

I checked my Roku version number and it is Software version 6.2 Build 34.67 and it hasn’t changed that I know of. So, I am thinking maybe it was running low on memory?

Just a thought, not sure why it hasn’t had the problem in 2 days. I’ll keep you posted if it occurs again in future, good luck everyone!

Okay, so I wanted to know which caused my ROKU freeze/reboot on F/F problem, the low memory or the TabloTV Preview Channel?
I started out removing the added microSd memory stick, problem didn’t return yet. Then I added about 10 new channels! I went to Tablo app and could NOT get it to freeze and reboot while f/f and r/w during playback of a recorded show. So NOT the memory issue causing it.

Next I signed back into my ROKU account online, added the (Beta) Preview Channel using the channel code “tablopreview” and went to the Roku3 settings and forced a check for update so the new channel could show up. Once it was listed again, I started playing a show (it happened to be Big Brother) and started to F/F and play, F/F and rewind and play, over and over a few times and VIOLA!
The screen froze (no response to any remote presses) and in a little while the box rebooted itself!
So I found the culprit on my box, the new TabloTV preview channel app is my immediate problem.

Whether that is indirectly caused by a firmware update from ROKU or not, all I know is my problem must have started when I installed the preview app (and the issue also shows up on the old app too while preview app is loaded). So I will uninstall the Preview Channel once again and I should be OKAY again.
Until the (Beta) preview channel is forced upon us as an update (let’s hope they fix the problem before then).

I hope this info helps anyone looking for a solution like I was!

Just uninstall the new (Beta) TabloTV Preview channel (app) from your ROKU 3 (4200X) box and your problem should disappear after a reboot when the app. is cleared out.
:grinning:
Doni

What happens if you uninstall the stable channel and only run the preview? I only run the preview and have no reboots.

2 Likes

I have both the legacy Tablo channel and the new Tablo Preview channel installed on my Roku 3 4200 and I have no reboots.

I didn’t either until I tried FF commercials. Have you tried Ff commercials? I’ve started using the FireTV stick on the main TV since it has more features and doesn’t crash Ff commercials.

Removed the Tablo Preview Channel along with all extra channels from each of my 6 Roku 3 boxes. Unplugged and restarted each of them.

No improvement in FF rebooting. Still a frequent and very annoying problem.

Aaaaarrrgh!

Still a big Tablo fan. When this bug gets fixed this Tablo will be outstanding. Great product features and very nice people.

I first reported this problem back on April 8th. I was running old tablo firmware and the old tablo app and didn’t have the new app installed. The reboot started immediately after the Roku firmware upgrade. Then everyone started saying it didn’t happen with the new tablo app. Since then every kind of magic spell, voodoo, and pixie dust has been tried.

Maybe hopping on one foot naked and chanting for 30 minutes will make the problem go away.

@zippy
This is the first report I have read directly correlating the FF reboots starting when Roku was updated. My experience appeared to be the opposite since the Tablo update was manually accepted / allowed in April and my problem with FF reboot immediately began. The Roku update apparently required no approval, taking place on power-up automatically and my Rokus are powered up with each use.

Glad to finally see evidence that Roku is the root cause but their ownership of this issue and remedy have been unapolegetically pathetic and still lacking.

Thanks for posting!

I actually explained this to you months ago. Taboo released their firmware update, then the very next day Roku released their firmware update that resulted in the issue. Since the Tablo update requires user intervention, you likely updated the Tablo the same day you got the Roku update.

Yes @theuser86 you actually did offer such an explanation to explain how Roku rather than Tablo could cause this problem.

Until the comment was just posted by zippy, however, no other users have decisively confirmed your theory on this Tablo forum nor have any developers on the Roku developer forum posted a single reference to this FF reboot issue in nearly 5 months to give your theory credibility. My dozens of unproductive reports to Roku customer service also brought ZERO confirmation of their awareness or ownership, still true to this day.

So yes, you opined an explanation and now I have one other Tablo user who offers the same opinion you voiced which I am glad to see as confirming evidence. So I hear your “I told you so”…

I have, for whatever it is worth, spent countless hours loading and trying dozens of other channels trying to make this issue appear and have NEVER EVER EVER SEEN rhis problem on any other channel other than Tablo.

Since I had so many channels installed but never deleted them after experimenting, I was especially optimistic that this might be contributing to memory management issues causing Tablo to fail. I am now back to 6 channels from 50 or more previously installed with no improvement in FF reboots.

So, I accept the distinct possibility that Roku is the cause. Yet 5 months later I still have a very flakey and very annoying experience watching Tablo, as apparently do many others in this thread of over 300 posts.

Larry

1 Like

Hi Guys,
Sorry uninstalling the preview app didn’t help like it did for me.

All I can say is, it helped in my case.
I have a few questions to you guys, is your ROKU3 a 4200 or 4200X?
I don’t remember if one has different hardware or is remanufactured etc?
Mine says 4200X on the bottom, maybe that is different?

Also, after removing the preview app. I still froze/rebooted but only 2 times in like a 100 ff/rw tests. Before removing it, I could get the problem to occur almost immediately, maybe 1 out of every 3 ff/rw play attempts, so huge it’s a huge difference for me!

And then as time goes on, like a day or two after, I haven’t been able to deliberately get it to ff/reboot at all. So RetiredEngineer maybe now that you removed the preview channel, a few days later, the problem will lessen?
Let me know if you see any difference in occurance level of the problem please, maybe it doesn’t completely clear up immediately? (some bad code still in cache ?(even after reboot)).

Hi Roraniel, LOL Well I haven’t done the reverse test with my equipment to see if I can use the preview (beta) app with the stable app removed. I will try that if I have free time maybe but I am reluctant because it IS working for me now.

And basically that is the only reason I came back here after a year, because I was searching for help on something that was driving me insane. Now that it’s no longer a huge annoyance to me, I don’t know if I want to mess around with things again and risk a return of the problem with any further changes. And then having to go thru all the steps all over again just to hopefully return to a working state again.

Just remember, I dealt with this problem literally for many months before I reached my tipping point, then I googled “ROKU rebooting” and found posts of people drilling holes from years of issues. I tried that first and then decided to see if it was possibly a Tablo specific issue after the holes didn’t solve my problem. I also noticed I hadn’t experienced the issue happening on my Netflix or other apps. So there might be many more people experiencing this who haven’t visited this site yet also. I doubt they start reading all 330 posts (so far) either when they do finally reach their frustration point to act to find a solution.

BUT I will keep your question in mind for a test in future for me to try.
I don’t get paid by TabloTV as a tester however, LOL so since they haven’t asked me to try this, maybe they already know the answer to that?

Thanks
Doni