Roku rebooting

@RetiredEngineer

You might want to consider continuing to involve Tablo directly - see above.

Tablo Support -

what other channels have a fast forward crashing problem?

I have had one FF crash about a week ago. It was in the CBS all access channel, and a few weeks ago I had one in Hulu Plus. I havenā€™t had one in the Tablo channel since the last Roku firmware upgrade a couple months or so ago.

Roku has hundreds of channels, thus hundreds or more of developers and no evidence on the Roku forum of any issue or complaint regarding FF crashes as far as I can tell.

No posting by Tabloā€™s people either identifying an issue or seeking a remedy.

The Roku developers did immediately post / report firmware crsshing of another type in April when the the Roku 6.2 firmware was updated, and this thread clearly is not the same FF issue we are talking about.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=86129

In the last 3 months no real progress in fixing this FF crash bug has appeared and no discussion on their Roku Developer Forum has been posted so I am especially intriuged when a beta Tablo firmware user now reports that the FF issue has disappeared from the latest Tablo release.

Hope springs eternalā€¦

@TabloSupport. Just thinking out loud here. Since not everyone is experiencing Roku reboots there must be an element of specif variables associated with the setup of the user experiencing the issue.

I wonder if it could be something that is corrupting the video files?

Would it make sense to grab some recordings that exhibit the issue and test them on the setups in your lab? If the issue follows the file to your lab you could assume the issue is with the file and do additional testing with known good and bad recordings of the same program from different users.

If you could turn the issue on and off with good and bad files you have potentially verified the issue is some type of file corruption.

Just a thought.

1 Like

Same file played on same player several times in a row behaves inconsistently, crashing with fast forward at a specific keyframe once but not again. I highly doubt that the file itself is corrupted. Hangs seem truly random, not repeatable as far as I can tell.

More evidence is that crashing on Roku frequently when using Tablo channel but very same files play flawlessly on iPad, iPhone, PC and Mac browsers. Roku crashes ONLY when using Tablo channel / app. My wife and I are both retired and use our 6 Roku 3ā€™s daily while dining, exercising, doing laundry, using our home office, watching movies, etc. never ever ever have we seen a SINGLE FF Roku crash on any channel other than Tablo, and we see Tablo crashes many times daily doing fast forwards to skip commercials or other uninteresting segments of recordings.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I am now seeing this FF crash behavior somewhat regularly with the Roku 3 4200X ā€¦ not as much with the Roku 3 4230R.

I believe it is specific to Roku as the same does not appear to happen with the same content using VLC, iPad, FireTV or Opera.

And, like @RetiredEngineer said, I do not see this behavior using other apps on the same Roku (i.e., no problem using FF with Netflix or Amazon Instant Video, etc).

I also have had absolutely zero problems playing my Tablo content on iPad or iPhone apps or with any PC or Mac browser.

Roku hanging / crashing in the Tablo channel app is where I always crash.

More evidence is that crashing on Roku frequently when using Tablo channel but very same files play flawlessly on iPad, iPhone, PC and Mac browsers. Roku crashes ONLY when using Tablo channel / app. My wife and I are both retired and use our 6 Roku 3ā€™s daily while dining, exercising, doing laundry, using our home office, watching movies, etc. never ever ever have we seen a SINGLE FF Roku crash on any channel other than Tablo, and we see Tablo crashes many times daily doing fast forwards to skip commercials or other uninteresting content.

As I have stated in earlier posts, the crashes occur more frequently when the delay time / latency between pushing fast forward and actually getting a Tablo response is longest. For reasons unknown, this latency varies greatly from minute to minute, even though my local LAN traffic is very low. I have shortened the Ethernet cable from my Tablo to my router from approx 70 feet to now about 2 feet and the latency and crash frequency have dropped. My Tablo now has a lot more antenna feedline and thus a weaker signal / diminished SNR. I still benefit from fewer crashes at the expense / penalty of fewer channels.

I had no such timing or FF crashing whatsoever for 5 months of Tablo use, until the day the Tablo firmware was updated. The long Ethernet cable worked perfectly then and was well within the length limitation of Ethernet / 100BaseT even when it was 70 feet long.

Iā€™ve been encountering this problem for a while nowā€¦

This has occurred on only 2 apps. Netflix and Tablo Preview Beta.
On Netflix it has only occurred TWICE, both times during FFWD. I watch Netflix more than Tablo.
On Tablo Preview Beta it happens pretty much every time I use it. I watch TV through Tablo about every 3 days or so. The reboots have occurred under the following conditions:

• Moving from recordings to live TV menu (or the reverse)
  • Moving within the recordings
  • Moving down the listing of a recorded show
  • Opening a recording
  • Immediately upon launching a recording or live TV
  • While FFWD

If I reboot my Roku before using Tablo Iā€™ve only had it reboot on me once during use for that session. That session was for an extended period. Iā€™m not convinced the problem is entirely associated with the issue experienced in Netflix. There is something unique about what is happening within the Tablo Preview Beta app.

Using a Roku III, WD Elements 2tb drive, latest Roku firmware. Roku reboots are frequent, seem to be caused by pressing FF key to skip a commercial. Canā€™t confirm 100% but seems to only happen while program is still recording, havenā€™t noticed it when playing something previously recorded.

I installed the new and very long awaited Roku firmware update (V 6.2 Build 3660) tonight on 5 of my 7 Roku 3 players.

With disappointment I report that the reboot bug is NOT fixed. It occurs as often now as it did in the prior release of Roku firmware, starting in April 2015 coincident with a Tablo and Roku firmware release.

Larry

@RetiredEngineer - Sorry to hear that. Weā€™re still working with Roku on this issue.

In the meantime, one person on Amazon.com reported that he switched a regular HDMI cable with a high speed HDMI cable on his Roku and that this fixed the problem. Weā€™re not really sure why or if it was the placebo effect, but for $10 it may be worth a shot.

1 Like

Never say never, but there is no way the HDMI cable is causing the reboots weā€™re seeing within the Roku app. I read reviews online with a healthy dose of skepticism.

@ChrisFix - Iā€™m just as skeptical as you are, but stranger things have happened.

High speed cables here and lots of reboots. The other night we were watching a recorded show while it was recording (so no FFWD previews) and the reboot happened three times in that one show. Iā€™ve also swapped HDMI and LAN cables with other devices to remove them from the equation. This is definitely software based.

It would be fun to go back to an earlier Tablo FW to see what would happen. Hopefully the new 2.2 fixes this and we are not willing to live with this issue for much longer.

The one thing I noticed is that if youā€™re watching a show that is still being recorded, and at the same time I think itā€™s creating the thumbnails, that is when I see the reboots.

Itā€™s a wild guess, but I donā€™t think Iā€™m too far off.

Thumbnails are created after the show finishes recording and when a tuner is free.

My Roku reboots occur while watching previously recorded shows - so it is not just shows in progress. I only watch previously recorded shows, with the thumbnails already created.

My reboots occur when watching pre-recorded shows, as well as shows currently being recorded. The absence or presence of thumbnails is unrelated.

There is no corruption in the recorded files. I know this because I playback files which worked flawlessly before April and they will now cause reboots, and I can play the same file multiple times and it will play fine on some occasions and reboot on others. Most significant is the fact that I have no reboot or other issues when the same files are played on other non Roku devices such as my iPhone or iPad.

1 Like

That pretty much summarizes our issues as well.