Roku Fast Forward

I am a new cord cutter, and new to Tablo but am finding it amazing so far. I have both an Apple TV and a Roku 3 and find myself liking both for different reasons. I like not having to use my phone so find myself using the Roku more often, but get frustrated when fast forwarding through commercials. There isn’t anything showing on the screen so am left to guess when to stop fast forwarding. I love that on the phone there is a 30 second skip, and if there was a way to do that on the Roku I wouldn’t care that I can’t see while fast forwarding. Is there anything planned to either show what is on when fast forwarding, or add a 30 second skip as one of the buttons on the Roku remote?

On the Roku, the right arrow will do a 10 sec FF, while the left arrow with do a 10 sec REW.  You can hold it down to do multiple skips/rewinds at a time.

What I do is look at the timer bar and then fast forward 2 to 3 minutes to skip commercials.  The timer bar is your friend since it has minutes on it.  

The actually fast forward and rewind buttons on the Roku remote can also be effective, mainly for skipping around a long program (like a football game).  Each press cycles through the speeds (slow, medium, and fast).

Having a preview like Netflix has been requested a lot, but the Tablo folks have never committed to implementing one. 

@blaze85 - Glad you’re enjoying your Tablo so far! We’re working on something right now that will make FFW on Roku a lot more enjoyable. Stay tuned :D 

@snowcat 

My timer bar on my roku 3 only show the minutes and not the seconds. How did you get yours to show the seconds. 

It only shows minutes.  I was incorrect about the seconds.  

Newbie here, just ordered my tablo 4 tuner. I have a question about the difference between a roku 3 and a roku stick, are there different features that I need to be aware of before I purchase one or the other?

@bobmctx, Roku stick is at its core a Roku 2.  So less performance.  Main differences are outside of Tablo where the “fancier” interfaces tend to exist on the Roku 3 and not the Roku 2 (e.g. Netflix).

People have reported that they’ve had better Tablo experiences with the Roku 3.   I’m not sure why that is except that maybe the interface is faster.  Maybe somebody else can comment with regards to that.

Also Roku 4 may be released this march ;) http://thefusejoplin.com/2015/02/roku-4-release-date-specs-features/

@cjcox thank you for the quick reply. We aren’t big movie watchers, so the netflix is no big deal. I just want a seamless ( within reason) setup. The faster interface would be worth the extra bucks though.
Where is Frisco? I’m west of Austin.

@bobmctx, I’m N. of Dallas  (we were the fastest growing city in the nation a few years back).

Newbie here, just ordered my tablo 4 tuner. I have a question about the difference between a roku 3 and a roku stick, are there different features that I need to be aware of before I purchase one or the other?

During the Sling TV beta someone was having problems with the Roku Stick and the Roku 3 and the Roku LT both worked flawlessly for me.  The Roku 3 has the fastest processor and is what I recommend unless you want to wait for the Roku 4. The only thing I don’t remember is what kind of internet connection he has.  I have 50 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up.

@cjcox thank you for the quick reply. We aren't big movie watchers, so the netflix is no big deal. I just want a seamless ( within reason) setup. The faster interface would be worth the extra bucks though. Where is Frisco? I'm west of Austin.

Where west of Austin?  I’m in Austin, TX - live north but willing to meet anywhere

@cjcox sorry for not getting back to you . I live in Spicewood, west of Austin out 71 west. I’m still waiting for my Tablo to get here. The darn snowstorms are holding up delivery.

@beastman I live in Spicewwod west off Austin out 71 west about 35 miles to downtown.

@bobmctx KBVO 14-1 was going to try to put up their new tower and increase the signal strength this weekend and should cover most of Austin.  You might be able to get it when they are done.  Don’t know if you can get 17-5 - it is only 3 lights on my Tablo. 62-3 and 62-4 are both 5 green lights where I live, which is near Rundberg and North Lamar.

I just purchased a 4 tuner Tablo along with Roku 2 and Sling TV. I love it so far but the only downside is the same concern as Blaze 85 mentioned - there is no way to see where you are when fast forwarding through commercials. Compared with cable, this is a definite disadvantage. I see that you mentioned you were working on this and wondered when we could see some changes? Thanks!

Not sure if what is meant by"no way to see where you are when fast forwarding" but if you mean preview pics…
The FFW pics are added after the recording as the Tablo can process it (for Roku). So, it can take a bit before they are ready. But this feature is there.

While fast forwarding with cable you can see the commercials as you are skipping through them and you can see when to stop and hit play so you don’t miss any of your show. I couldn’t see any of this while trying to fast forward with the Tablo. So it’s a guessing game as to when you should hit play. I’m not sure what the preview pics are…I didn’t have that. It may just take some getting used to…

Well… all mine are Roku 3, but I get FFW previews. But they do take a little bit to be generated. Of course, this is only for recordings, and not for live TV (in case that’s the question).

@Jenifer - If you’re watching completed recordings, you should see FFW previews on Roku. If you’re watching live TV or ‘tape delay’ you won’t see previews.