Roku 4 - Cycles "Loading, Please Wait" every 30-60 seconds

I just got my Tablo (4-tuner) and Roku 4 and updated all the firmwares/apps and now I’m having this exact issue with live and recorded content. Is there a way to downgrade the firmware? Was hoping to cancel my cable at the end of the week, but it looks like I’ll have to wait another month.

My configuration:
Tablo 4 tuner - 2.2.6 firmware, ethernet, WD Elements USB HDD
Roku 4 - 7.0 firmware, ethernet (same switch as Tablo)

Team Tablo: any update or progress on identifying root cause to this issue? Anyway to downgrade firmware until this is fixed?

This issue is very difficult to diagnose. The ‘loading please wait’ is actually a message that Roku sends when there are problems on the network.

I would suggest touching base with Tablo Support so they can walk you through some potential troubleshooting solutions: http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

AC probably won’t make a difference. It seems to be worse on faster network connections. I have the problem the most on GB wired. N speed (most Roku 3 supports) WiFi reduces it but does not eliminate it. The only thing I have found to get rid of it is dropping to the 5Mbps recording setting.

For me this issue started the day 2.2.2 hit my Tablo and has continued in 2.2.6. Prior to that firmware, the old 1080 (8Mbps) setting worked flawlessly.

As suggested, open a support ticket. The more of these they can look at, the more likely we’ll get a fix.

@TabloTV - is there a way to downgrade to the original firmware?

Opened an actual Ticket w/ Support.

Here is the bug video – the 1st site removed it for some reason:
http://www.filedropper.com/roku4-tablo-bug

It’s an .MOV taken with a phone.

Found a solution to this problem. I made these changes to my wifi (same device as the router), and it has not happened since (even though Roku 4 is plugged via ethernet):

• Bluetooth Coexistence -> changed from “Enabled” to “Disabled”
  • 802.11n Preamble -> changed from “Green Field” to “Mixed Mode”
  • WMM -> changed from “Auto” to “Enabled”
    ** No ACK -> Disable
    ** APSD Mode -> Enable

@ventz - Thanks for sharing. I’ve passed this along to the team. Keep us posted on how this solution works for you.

@TabloTV, it seems to have fixed it – confirming today it’s working too (although it did happen twice in the first 1 minutes, but nothing after that)

That is so weird, and should have nothing to do with the wired Roku.
But, I’m glad it’s working for you.

Agreed. I think the only connection is something between “what happened when any wifi clients were online” (which for me was 100% of the time) and the way the router handled the general routing. I have a feeling that it was making ~3-5 Mbs of bandwidth available to the wifi clients. For most, that’s unnoticeable (email, slightly slower web, etc). But that somehow impacted the routing of the ethernet clients. Still investigating. I had a bunch of packet captures so going through them to try and see if anything stands out with the Roku. It looks so far like the Roku4 simply tries to grab a larger chunk of bandwidth and if it’s not available, it doesn’t scale down like the Roku3.

Ah, I think you’re right.
The routing is performed by your router, which is both wired and wireless.
If there’s a problem on the wireless side, it could very well affect the wired side, and vice versa.

kk, I’m definately gonna try matching my settings to yours now.
:smile:

After 4 hours of TV (mostly recorded and 30 mins live) no problems what so ever. I think this might have been the fix.

Crud, my settings already matched yours, but I still have LPW issues on certain Live TV shows, and some recordings.
My workaround is to use my Roku 4’s wireless of all things.

Hate to knock the dust off an older thread but seemed more recent with the same symptom.

I have a Roku 4 with the same issue streaming live through Tablo.

The odd part - I have two iPads and an iPhone on the same network in the house that have no issue streaming live off the iOS Tablo app. They get a little skip buffering the initial stream, but nothing like the ‘loading, please wait’ on the Roku Tablo app.

I have tried adjusting the recording quality, to no avail.
I have no drive attached to the Tablo.
Put the Tablo on an Ethernet connection to the main router.
Adjusted settings on the router for WWM - including disabling it entirely.
All the OTA channels have the highest signal strength when discovered by Tablo.

Makes me wonder if it is either the Roku or the Roku Tablo app not handling the packet flow effectively.

I will give the 2.2.8 firmware a shot!

Yes the 2.2.8 firmware is supposed to fix issues like this. Give it a try.

Is your Roku hard wired to your network or wireless? I switched mine to wireless and set the recording to 720 and all my problems went away.

Hey, Jim

Yeah, its plugged directly into the wireless router for my home. I had it on all wireless when I first set it up but moved it to direct connected afterwards in an attempt to fix the issue. My iOS devices stream the content fairly well currently, though.

Just waiting on Tablo to dish out the 2.2.8 update to my box, now.

@TabloSupport – more and more it seems like certain recordings (whatever properties they have) cause the reloading. I have certain episodes that cause the reloading non-stop. I am not sure how I can extract them to submit them. For example, there is a Quantico episode that causes NON stop reloads.

@ventz - Send the support team a note with details. They can extract the recordings if that’s the suspected issue: http://bit.ly/1w8BrBw