Repack: Orlando

No FOX35 or FOX35 Plus yet in Rockledge since the repack. Can’t get them through Tablo or TV tuners. My antenna is excellent. All the rest of the Orlando/Daytona/Melbourne stations are green.

There is obviously a problem with their antenna since those of north of Bithlo can get their signal.

Today 2/18/20 WUCF 24’s antenna blew up, picture on twitter of a nice hole melted through the “transmission line” it. Probably will be down “for a while”.

This antenna is brand new and was install a few weeks ago for Repack.

WUCF BROADCAST STATUS

Overnight, a fire at the WUCF transmission line caused WUCF to go off-air for many viewers. Spectrum customers are still able to view WUCF channels due to a fiber connection. No one was injured in the fire, but currently WUCF channels are not available to those watching via antenna or satellite.

Crews are currently on site assessing damage to the transmitter and transmission lines to determine what will need replacing. Crews will be working through the night.

Still on Spectrum Cable…

So, all of us in this area need to un-check these stations from our lineup.

Otherwise, we will suffer the dreaded “weak-signal” recording failure
that also results in all other recordings at that same time-slot failing,

Now, if only we could get the WOFL antenna to blow up :slight_smile:
Then we might get FOX-35 again…

3 Likes

Thursday, Feb. 20, 7:30 a.m.:
Today, crews will be arriving to the WUCF transmitter site with some replacement parts in hopes to get the WUCF TV channels back on air in some capacity in the next few days. We are still unsure of the extent of the damage, as we await complete findings from the fire. As you can see, much of the transmission line has been charred.

In response, engineers at WUCF are opting to lay the new antenna on it side to increase ventilation and air flow.

“We didn’t have this problem with the dual pole setup, but notice the problem when we went to four. Manufacturer said it was in spec though.”

2 Likes

WUCF executive director Dr. Phil Hoffman provides an update from the transmitter site.

VIDEO:

Status Update 2/20/2020

Replacement parts destined for WINK CH31 were donated to WUCF to ensure a speedy retrun to air:

Well, WUCF seems like it is not going to reach most OTA viewers for a while:

Friday, Feb. 21, 8 a.m.:
Today, WUCF is expected to take delivery of a low-power transmitter that could provide a temporary fix to some viewers. Once this gets installed, it could bring WUCF up to low-power mode, after a series of tests. This means some of our viewing area, not all, could receive our signal within the next few days. However, this is not a guarantee. Check back for updates, and we’ll let you know how this process goes today.

I’m having the same OTA problems. I have adjusted my antenna and completed several re-cans to no avail. No fox 35 and about that same time I lost channels 65.1 Mynet, 65.2 Movies!, 65.3 H&I, and 65.4 Buzzr. Any updates from the network??? Palm Bay…

WUCF UPDATE

Friday, Feb. 21, 2 p.m.: The low-transmitter has been delivered and is currently being installed. We are still waiting on one more part that is expected tomorrow. Once that is installed we hope to be back on the air for a portion, not all, of our viewing area. Crews continue to work hard to get WUCF back on the air.

WOW!

I worked in UHF RF television broadcasting for over 30 years.

I have seen burnt Teflon insulators and damaged inner conductors, but I never saw a hole burned into an outer conductor!

The transmitter usually shuts down from high VSWR protection circuitry. This sort of damage implies that the hole was produced almost instantaneously or the protection circuitry failed.

That is very expensive to repair.

WUCF has posted a great new video showing the temporary transtmitter equipment, the new transmissions lines and RF filters. Apparently the original filters on the main transmitter needed to be removed and cleaned offsite.

Temporary Transmitter Installation

1 Like

I am about 21 miles from the tower so can confirm they are back on the air if you live close enough to receive a signal from the temporary transmitter.

Saturday, Feb. 22, 9 p.m.:
GREAT NEWS! WUCF TV has returned to air for a portion of our viewing area. On Saturday, we completed the installation of a low-power transmitter that provided us with a temporary fix following the fire at our transmitter site.

The installation of the low-power transmitter means that some of our viewing area is now able to see our signal. Coverage is limited and might not reach all cable and satellite providers. Due to the location of our tower in East Orange County, those further away from the tower might not be able to see WUCF until the full-power transmitter is replaced in the next few weeks.

Thank you for your patience while we continue repairs.

Looks like a race car engine with a LARGE turbocharger! :laughing:

Tuesday, Feb. 25, 7:30 a.m.:
Today, WUCF will be OFF-AIR for a short period of time between 10:30am and Noon as work continues on the WUCF TV transmitter.

WUCF is currently broadcasting in low-power mode. That means only a portion of WUCF viewers can get us, if they watch via antenna. Estimates are about 60% of our viewing area can see our signal. Service has been provided to most cable/satellite services in Central Florida.

Work continues to restore our permanent full-power transmitter. However, repairs may take some time.

This is by far the best thread I have found regarding signal issues with WOFL Fox 35 and WUCF 24! Now I understand why WUCF is not working. I figured the issues with both channels were due to the repack. I never had any issue with these channels signals before. The last entry I see on this thread is Feb 25. Any new updates?? Oh and btw I am in SE Palm Bay, 54 miles from the towers in Bithlo. It’s 5+ years since I cut the cord and I spent $50 on this Terk antenna that hangs in my attic and is split 3x. this was absolutely the best $50 I ever spent and I couldn’t cancel my TV from DimHouse fast enough! And it does have rabbit ears(not pictured for WESH 2) Any new updates regarding the signal issues?? Thanks in advance!

I still can’t get FOX 35 / WOFL / RF=33.

I had wondered if I had too much amplification, but went through an effort to reduce that, and it did not work. So, I hooked everything back up to get back all my other channels. I am presently
getting WUCF, but it fails quite a bit with it’s low-power antenna. I had been getting it nicely when they had their full-power one.

I just don’t get it. The maps for many channels point me in a VERY similar point, with VERY
similar distances. Yet, while I get most of them, I fail to receive WOFL, and WRBX/MYTV/Chan=65/RF=28 :frowning:

WUCF LOW POWER CONTINUES…

Monday, March 30, 9 a.m.:
All but one of the transmitter parts is ready to be shipped back to us. The last part is coming from out of the country, so that’s the challenge right now. Once all the parts arrive and are installed, we should be able to make the shift back to the main transmitter seamlessly. Your patience is appreciated.

1 Like

Sir Lysander… this is in regard to WUCF transmitter issues, I imagine? I (we all) appreciate the update! NOW, we just need WOFL-FOX 35 to step up to the plate and advise the masses! Something is screwy in Louis…:slight_smile: