Remove ads in recorded shows

A buddy of mine has Tivo, I went with Tablo.

One feature he has I’m jealous of is that after recording, Tivo goes into a show and strips all the ads out.

Seeing as to how my greatest hassle with Tablo is managing all the ad-skips on various devices, I think a feature like this would be absolutely awesome.

What are my chances? :wink:

1 Like

Here’s the thing about that feature… It’s only available on main network shows and TiVo pays people to literally sit and mark time codes for when the commercials stop and start.

I guess that’s one of the benefits you get for an extra $10 a month + in fees :smiley:

That being said, we’ve looked at a few solutions that don’t involve that kind of intensive labor but none of them really worked for our particular use case.

2 Likes

Ah crap, trained monkeys… :slight_smile: Ok, well thanks then, I’m not a fan of manual labor. :slight_smile:

I’d have thought (hoped) there was some signal to mark when affiliates could insert their ad content. But yea, I don’t know enough to be dangerous, even.

Edit: Didn’t Dish’s “The Hopper” have a similar feature? Now that I type this I’m kinda recollecting that the Hopper was a Tivo-like derivative?

They use the exact same process.

[quote=“Bardel, post:3, topic:12844”]
I’d have thought (hoped) there was some signal to mark when affiliates could insert their ad content.
[/quote]They wouldn’t want to make it THAT easy on us!

That’s how I get rid of commercials. It takes me about 10 minutes per hour of TV. I only do it for shows I’m planning on keeping.

Since someone will eventually ask, my process is:

1. Use Surlatablo to extract the video to my computer.
  2. Use VLC to skip through the show to find the start/end times.
  3. Use a script I wrote that uses ffmpeg to slice and dice the video and put it back together without commercials.

I am my own monkey.

2 Likes

I need a tablet with that engraved on it! :smiley: :smiley:

Is it possible to get the Tablo to recognize the ratings box that pops up in the upper corner of a show after returning from commercials, and possibly mark that as a point to skip forward to (maybe minus 10 or so seconds)? I know it wouldn’t be perfect, but it would get pretty close.

I have no idea if this is feasible, but it would be interesting if it could search for and recognize that ratings box while generating thumbnails. Just a thought.

Ratings box? What’s that look like?

Oh, is that what it’s called? Different shows using different looking things, so it would be really hard. A lot of shows use a full-screen graphic instead of an insert box.

Ah, I thought it was a standard design for broadcast television in the US.

Fox does a full-screen thing like this. It’s got the box, but more as well.

That’s only at the beginning of the show I think. It’s the smaller box in the corner after commercials, isn’t it?

I don’t pay attention. :wink:

I use a combination of tablo ripper (https://community.tablotv.com/t/tablo-ripper-automatically-download-new-recordings/), comskip (www.kaashoek.com/comskip/), mcbuddy (https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/) and plex to do this automatically. No monthly fees, no commercials in my shows. Once you set it up, it just works.

2 Likes

if its not too much to ask , could you give me your process, i dont need it as step by step but do all 3 programs automatically run /remove adds and convert the video once you set them up?

Tablo ripper runs as a service and downloads recordings to a specific location. mcbuddy also runs as a service and monitors that location. Comskip works with mcbuddy. Together, the commercials are removed and I set the output folder to a network storage device that is accessed by plex. In many ways, they are designed to work together. For example, tablo ripper will use plex naming conventions and folder structure.

1 Like

MceBuddy works great. I use it with the Plex DVR.

1 Like