Remove ads in recorded shows

SageTV had a commercial skip (automatic) plugin that worked flawlessly.

That said, no big deal running through the commercial thumbnails on Tablo/Roku.

after trial an error i did manage to get tablo riper service working together with mcebuddy running in tandem , i just leave the mce buddy window minimized and it picks up right after Tablo ripper is done doing its thing.

as far as running MCEbuddy as a service i did not know this was possible i will have to investigate that.

Could you train one of your monkeys to go get a license to ComSkip and integrate it into Tablo?

1 Like

Such a productive post, thanks for your insight.

Wowā€¦

I love my Tablo but wish they could add some features available with the Plex server and a usb tuner, including:

1. Option to record native tv broadcasts in mpg format.

2. Option to auto-remove commercials as available in Plex. See screenshots below.

The Plex DVR is evolving quickly and has some great features (but is still missing a standard channel guide for live TV).

Enabling commercial removal on my 4-tuner HDHR totally clobbers my Synology 918+ NAS. There just isnā€™t enough horsepower. I suspect Tablo would encounter the same issue so Iā€™m not holding my breath.

I have a TIVO. I was comparing the two devices. The TIVO does have the sxip feature. It only works on some programs, no sports, or any sub channels. My experiance is most prime shows only.
I have trouble with the TIVO line up. I dont have or know anyone that has a TABLO. The channels I receive are from a translator tower. That makes the info in the guide be on a channel I donā€™t get, with the channel I get the guide only has to be announced. I canā€™t add both to the channel list because the TIVO will only record the channel I donā€™t recieve.

What I would really like to see would be an ā€˜adaptiveā€™ skip feature, or more than one skip forward buttonā€¦

The commercials are never less than 60 seconds these days and typically never less than 2 minutes, so if the first time you pressed the skip forward it zipped forward 2 minutes, then on subsequent presses did the 30/20/15 (whatever) jumps the manual commercial skipping would be so much simpler in my opinion. Ideal implementation would be to have the first skip/subsequent skips configurable so that we could make choices about this sort of thing. Of course the amount of buffering would have an impact upon how it felt (I would really like more buffering to prevent skip pauses) but just not having to hit or miss pressing forward 5+ times before I try to see if the program is back would be nice.

Alternatively a ā€˜long skipā€™ as well as a short skip button, but thatā€™s not really compatible with hardware controllers.

If you have an Apple TV you can ask Siri to skip ahead by a set amount. Itā€™s pretty cool.

How about a crowd sourced solution. Give us a way to mark a frame as the beginning or end of a commercial. You can compare the submissions and use them to validate one another.

Iā€™m not sure if the commercial breaks are coordinated across all markets, if not then you would need to do this at a the broadcast station level.

1 Like