Remote Access stops working

Anybody else having an issue with the remote access. I have a comcast business router/gateway and have set the tablo up as a static ip and have opened up the port forwarding and everything works great. Then a couple days later, it stops working and when I get back home and open up tablo it says I need to manually configure my router. So all I do is click on the remote access tab to turn it off and then turn it back on and it works fine again. Tablo says its my router, but if its my router/configuration, why does it work for a few days and then stop and why when I turn off the remote access and simple turn it back on with out changing anything does it work again for a few days? Very frustrating, started happening about 4-6 months ago, and of course we can fix it until we get home. Any help would be appreciated.

I have Comcast residential and had the same issue. Their router/cable modem they provide had issues for me when I would configure port forwarding. For some reason, it really didn’t like me to forward two different ports (80 and 8887) to the same device. Comcast support was no help. I finally just bought my own cable modem SB 8200 (used off ebay) and a Asus TM-AC1900. I have not had to touch it in almost 2 years.

Is it possible the IP address of your Tablo is changing?

The IP of the Tablo in the router is set to a static ID, is there a way to set it in the tablo as well? I just don’t understand if its the router, wouldn’t I need make changes in the router setting vs. just turning off/than back on the remote access button?

1 Like

Don’t most tablo apps display the table server IP on the settings page. Why not just write down the IP when it works, before the problem, and check it when the problem occurs.

Many DHCP servers have IP reservations/renewals of 24 hours even if the IP is static.

Had to reset again today, the tablo app showed the same ip address, set to static in the router. Again, just turn off remote access and turn back on and all is good for bit, very odd.

1 Like

I’ve only had my Tablo for a couple of months but I’m having the same issue.

Every day I lose remote access and find the message that I need to manually configure port forwarding. If I uncheck then recheck the remote access box in the Tablo settings, Remote Access is immediately restored.

I have Comcast residential and the Tablo’s IP address is reserved. Someone mentioned watching to see if the IP address changed. My Tablo’s IP address was assigned and hasn’t changed since I first set it up.

I have other devices that have Remote Access and they have been working without issue for years. I believe there is some compatibility issue with Tablo and the Comcast router/modem.

Comcast does some kind of updates around 3am every morning. I hate to think they’re knocking the Tablo off on purpose.
I’ll check it before and after the next Comcast update and post my findings.

UPDATE: I have not lost remote access again since I posted about this 5 days ago. I did not change any settings. All I did was uncheck/recheck the remote access box again as I have been doing all along.
Hopefully I’ll be able to watch remotely when traveling now.

I have been using remote access with no problems and here lately I get "A connection to your Tablo could not be established. I have tried clearing the history and clear cache. Not luck.

Samsung S21 with Tablo app installed.

I have the exact same problem. Tablo hard wired via ethernet to Comcast supplied modem/router. Keep losing remote access, usually after 24 hours. Only way to restore is by turning “remote access” off and on again, which must be done on the local LAN where the Tablo is located. Unfortunately, I am almost 1500 miles away and need help to do this. Neither Comcast or Tablo support has been any help. Comcast suggested I get one of their business routers which allow setting a static IP. I see posting from others that a static Ip did not solve the problem. I have the Xfinity mobile app and am able to access the router to configure ports, turn off “Advanced Security”, reboot the router, test the connection to the router, and some other things. Nothing works other than turning remote access off and on. I am open to suggestions but running out of patience.

Since you are able to access your router it seems you should be able to determine if your external IP address is changing every 24+ hours.

The IP address listed for the device “Nuvyyo Inc Tablo HDTV” has never changed, nor is the WAN IP address.

I would check to see if your router has closed your port forwarding as a security threat.

Checked and no security threats noted.

Called Technical Customer Service for Comcast who said all ports are open and they are doing nothing that would block the ports. They have not changed their WAN ip either.They suggested I may have a problem with my wireless connection to the device. I once again tell them it is a direct connection via ethernet cable. Then they say the cable must be bad and I should replace it. I tell them the cable is fine and I have validated a good connection between he Tablo and router via the Xfinity mobile app. Ask for advanced technical support and told there is none available. Waste of time. All they do is read scripts.

Called Tablo customer service and they say nothing is coming through the ports so Comcast must be blocking them. They also thought Comcast must be changing their external IP.
I tell them I can see the external IP in my Xfinity app: WAN IP Address 67.165.160.215 This is the same IP which appears in the Tablo settings when I am connected remotely and has not changed in recent memory.
In summary, neither Tablo nor Comcast technical support is of any help so I appreciate any feedback you or others here are willing to provide. Hoping someone here may have an answer.

Again, can always restore remote access by disabling and then re-enabling remote access. Why? Service stays on until next day. The fact that it only last 24 hours like clockwork leads me to believe that Comcast is doing something on their end which is interfering with the port communication.

The 24 hour timing makes me wonder did you reserve a dedicated IP address in your Router? Some brands of routers refresh local IP addresses daily . It is possible your router is giving a new IP thus breaking the port forwarding. Since turning it off and again would trigger the UPnP function to give the router the new info with the IP address. You might try reserving the IP address and even manually configuring the port forwarding on the router so they are always mapped to the same IP. Generally an ISP wouldn’t likely renew your IP address daily unless you disconnected sometime and then reconnected.

The Tablo was assigned an IP address of 10.0.0.164 and this has remained constant since I connected it last May. I manually set up the ports recommended in the Tablo app. Also the external IP of the Comcast gateway has never changed. If I wanted to access anything on the router other than what is permitted in the mobile app I am unable to do so. It must be done logging in as admin on the LAN and I am in in Florida, 1500 mi away from the Tablo’s location in Chicago. Thanks for your suggestions in any event. After searching the web, it is filled with people complaining about issues attempting to set port forwards on Comcast Xfinity supplied routers.

FWIW, I also reserved the Tablo IP address using the Xfinity mobile app. I believe Comcast has an issue with their routers and are not particularly interested in fixing it. I have come to this conclusion not only by my personal interaction with their technical support personnel but also by reading many posts by other Xfinity users frustrated with failed attempts to maintain port forwarding. Don’t know if the problem is with their proprietary software or software installed on the routers by Technicolor, the manufacturer. Again, just my uneducated guess.

Well, I’ve lost remote access again and the uncheck/recheck remote access box trick no longer fixes it.

Since then I’ve set up port forwarding successfully several times only to have it stop working again.

The Tablo’s IP address is reserved. I can use and two consecutive port numbers within range and it may or may not reconnect.

At the suggestion of another user, I’m ready to buy a personal cable modem and give the Comcast modem back. It’ll save me the headaches and $14/month.

Is your Comcast device a gateway (modem and router in one unit) or an actual modem? I ask because if you are going to get rid of the Comcast provided hardware, I would suggest a separate cable modem and router. You won’t have much control over the configuration of the cable modem but using a separate router should give you much more control over the IP reservation and port forwarding configuration.

Thanks for the reply.

My Comcast device is a modem/router. I’m already using an additional router that I used previously as a wi-fi extender for outdoor cameras that lose connectivity due to their distance from the Comcast router.

My Tablo is connected to the Comcast router via ethernet. I’m thinking about running an ethernet cable to the other router to see if remote plug and play will work. If not, I’ll set up port forwarding on it. If that also fails I’ll go the separate cable modem route.