Recording Segmentation

Nope.

I’ve had recordings, before I got the new antenna, that had occasional pixelation and they stayed in one piece.

Glad to hear that!

That’s what I was hoping! So what did I read about earlier that made me think that wasn’t the case?

I think… if there’s a momentary blip it can affect either thumbnail creation or commercial skip (or both). But some of my first recordings I purposely recorded channels that had very weak signal bordering on drop out. The recordings came through with pixelation, sound anomalies, stutters, but they completed unless the signal fell right off the cliff. But even then I can’t recall the Quad just flat out puking on the floor and rebooting. The recordings in that case were garbage and didn’t complete, but honestly, I was feeding it garbage and didn’t expect it to give me roses.

Oh and this was all before commercial skip.

Yup, very often complained about. It does not happen each and every time! It happens, for what ever reasons, which, as you state, doesn’t seem to make sense.

Here’s a couple topics and search… I’m not making this up
*Recording weak signal - reboot
*One annoying "feature" of Tablo - Reset if broadcast signal drops out
*50+ results forweak signal reboot

Thanks for the clarification, especially since it pertains to the QUAD. That makes me feel MUCH better… :grinning:

Yow! Thanks for the Research!!!

Seems like there is a problem, alright…

I agree. A weak signal should not result in a reboot. Insane software design.

I don’t believe anyone outside of the technical engineers think - this is a good idea.

As I said, I am an Embedded Systems Designer (Developer) (and have been for nearly 50 years!), and in NO WAY is this an acceptable design.

Jumping to the Reset Vector is usually reserved for a "We are COMPLETELY Borked here, and so we might as well “Start from the Top” ", since there is basically “Nothing left to lose” at that point.

But to resort to that sort of “Last Ditch Effort” just because a Tuner (or Tuners) has a momentary signal/lock/decoding problem just smacks of “Well, we really don’t have any way to figure out what is actually wrong; so this’ll fix it for sure!” mindset.

At least they could do is simply re-initialize the “unhappy” Tuners, rather than the WHOLE system…

But then again, I don’t really know what’s going on specifically in their hardware; so a “Cold Start” (or “Warm Start”) may actually be the only reasonable option to their Developers. If so, I genuinely feel for them.

1 Like

You’re assuming this is by design. I think it’s more likely a bug that happens to cause a system crash.

Possibly, but it’s been there since from the beginning.
Wish they would fix that bug. :slight_smile:

I think we all do. Quite honestly, that situation is really the only “beef” I have with my Tablo. The fact a single recording’s issues results in issues with other recordings is frustrating.

Maybe we can get @TabloSupport to chime in and let all of us know if it’s a bug or by design.

If it is by design, maybe they can share why that is the only way to clear a tuner when it encounters a signal drop out.

I agree that there must be a better way to do this including possibly showing an error has occurred and the unit needs to be rebooted. This would allow the user to manually reboot the Tablo when no other recordings are in progress.

I never said it was a GOOD Design… :grinning:

1 Like

That’s a REALLY bad sign!

Actually, “Inexcusable” is the word that comes to mind…

I try to stay away from using words like that until I know the full background and context of a situation. I full well know that I don’t know everything. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Couldn’t that be interpreted as, maybe, an unintentional [by] design flaw?