Questions/Answers for a new cord cutter

Our home is a two story detached home with 2500 Sq, Ft. The current Rogers router is in the NE corner of the main floor in the family room where the main TV is located. The second TV is upstairs in a bedroom in the SW corner of the upper level. The Mac computer is in the NE corner of the upper level above the family room. WIFI is currently available in the whole house.

I had intended on locating the router in the same location as the Rogers router.

Bill

More are on the way. We should be fully stocked up soon.

1 Like

A question about the screen setup in the Tablo app for Firestick.

When you access the recordings screen from the main menu, is it possible set it to see a list of programs recorded ( text ) instead of picture images?

On the Rogers DVR you have a choice of text or picture blocks.

Thanks,
Bill

I don’t use Fire TV Stick, but I believe they are all similar here - you have to click on each picture to see all the episodes available. What to know what you have scheduled, no listing… they are highlighted in the daily grid, other wise randomly click on pictures and they’re in episode order - not recording date order.

Here’s were I’ve discovered 3rd party apps fill in the voids and aids in productivity, but that’s me.

Closest thing to what you mean would probably be to sort by Recent instead of All. You’ll get a descending list by date recorded for everything you recorded.

This might interest you. Asus RT-AC68U on sale for $199.99 CAD. Good deal.

As I await Black Friday deals for the equipment I want to evolve, I did order a Firestick ( New Generation ) for 50% off today. Good deal. Now all I need is for the router and Tablo Quad to go on sale.

Thanks for the tip on the router.

Bill

Looking further into routers, I read about WIFI 6 technology ( 811ax standard ), and was directed to this router by an article in Cordcutters website.

TP-Link AX1800 WiFi 6 Router, Smart WiFi Router - Next-Gen 802.11ax Router, Gigabit Router, Dual Band, OFDMA, Parental Controls, Long Range Coverage, Works with Alexa (Archer AX20)

It is $149 at Amazon Canada and I wondered if anyone has comments on this unit?

Bill

Just remember that in order to use Wifi 6 the devices you want to use also have to be Wifi 6 enabled. If you buy this router it will “future proof” you to a certain extent but unless your Firestick, laptop, cell phones, tablets etc support Wifi 6 it will not provide any advantage. Currently the Tablo and Firestick do not have Wifi 6 and it is unlikely that any of your other existing devices have it either.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input on WIFI6. I guess I was just “future proofing” myself as in my lifetime I have been disappointed in how short lived most electronic devices are and the resultant costs to replace them after a couple of years. The tech world seems to move faster than I can think. My thinking was that I could buy a $150 router with 811ac WIFI or a $150 router with 811ax WIFI. Better to be ahead of the obsolescence curve for the same price?

As an example my iMac is now out of the curve for updates including the now released Big Sur release and my iPhone 6S is fast approaching non-support land as well. They still work flawlessly but are now obsolete.

Bill

No problem! I agree if the price is similar it is better to get the newer standard. I just wasn’t sure where you were on the technology curve to realize what else you needed to do to take advantage of it.

Sounds like you have it covered!

It’s not just the standard that makes a difference. Not all Wireless AC devices are the same, some have better distance coverage, etc.

What are the exact 2 specific models you are considering?

I still recommend the Asus RT-AC86 for $199.

The three routers I am considering are:

1. Asus RT-AC66U B1 Dual-Band 3x3 AC1750 WiFi 4-Port Gigabit Router. $99.00 at Amazon Canada

2. TP-Link AX1800 WiFi 6 Router, Smart WiFi Router - Next-Gen 802.11ax Router, Gigabit Router, Dual Band, OFDMA, Parental Controls, Long Range Coverage, Works with Alexa (Archer AX20)
    $150 at Amazon Canada

3. TP-Link WiFi 6 AX1500 Smart WiFi Router – ax Router, Gigabit, Dual Band, OFDMA, MU-MIMO, Works with Alexa (Archer AX10) $99 at Amazon Canada

Bill

This will likely suffice. However isn’t $99 CAD the regular price for this router? It’s not on sale.

Yup, that is correct and why I am waiting for these routers to possibly go on Black Friday sale.

Bill

I saw some “mild” buffering in my son in law’s setup using Rogers Ignite internet, the fastest speed available, and a Tablo Dual. It was on a live TV program. What causes this and how frequent is it?

Thanks,
Bill

The internet service speed is basically irrelevant to this issue. It’s the speed on the local LAN between the Tablo unit and the TV or streamer box that impacts this. And it really depends on if you’re using hard-wire Ethernet or Wifi.

Don’t they pass through the router/switch/access point. So if, for example one is wired an one is WiFi - it’s the wifi device with issues ( or access point)?

The speed of his internet service doesn’t matter (it could be 25 Mbps or 1000 Mbps internet and it doesn’t matter). This is independent of your WiFi speeds or speed across the Ethernet connections (the local network). This is why I stressed you get a really good router. This way you’re certain no buffering issues.

1 Like

So now I am understanding the benefit of a very good router for the network within my home. This is the most important part of using the Tablo. The hookup in my home would be like this:

Cable from antenna enters the home where the cable internet enters from the street.

1. I can hook up the Tablo with an ethernet cable from the router which is connected to the modem provided by the Internet provider where the antenna enters my house and hook up the antenna to the Tablo as well in that location. The two TV’s would have Firesticks and connect via the WIFI network.

Or:

I can hook up the antenna to coax cable which goes to the location of the main TV on the 1st floor and mount the Tablo beside this TV. The Tablo would connect to the antenna at this location and connect to the network via WIFI and communicate with the two Firesticks.

Which would be the better setup with a good router?

Thanks,
Bill