Questions/Answers for a new cord cutter

#1. Tablo to router hardwired is best.

Wifi is usually the weak link. But some really cheap routers have really bad internal switches.

I’ve tried searching for an old post in the past. I’m not certain if it was your’s or not - commenting dedicated switch (managed or not) vs router’s switch, a consumer’s router is usually software based compared to a network switch. Which I guess is firmware? and/or hardware?

The dedicated switch boxes use a custom ASIC to do the MAC address matching and routing. That’s sort of a blurry line between hardware and firmware. But it’s an order of magnitude better than a software implementation using the cheap processor in most consumer routers.

The “switch” issue is well beyond my knowledge of routers but I appreciate all the support you are providing. I have decided to purchase the ASUS Router RT-AC86U AC2900 Dual-Band Wireless Router as I think it will provide us the best chance of dealing with buffering and provide the strongest WIFI network for our home.

Bill

OK, so I have a cancellation date for Rogers Internet and cable tv and phone. When the new internet service is up and running, (Ebox), how do I get my network setup with my new router if I don’t have WIFI to use my iPad or computer? Do I just connect my router and it automatically connects to the internet?

Thanks for any help on this,

Bill

What modem are you getting with your Ebox service?

I think it is a TC4400.

Bill

While that modem doesn’t have WiFi, it still runs in router mode so you’ll want to login to the modem using a computer (that is connected via an Ethernet cable to the modem), and then put it in “bridge mode”. This turns off the router function in the modem.

Then connect your Asus router and set it up.

I don’t think there is a router mode in the TC4400, shouldn’t have to do anything with it other than connect the router to one of the two ethernet ports.

As per this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzpDu4uikb8&feature=emb_logo

Boo Google told me there was a router mode. Any one with Ebox internet service that can chime in?

Here are 2 different links for a TECHNICOLOR TC4400

https://www.timewarnercable.com/content/dam/residential/pdfs/support/internet/ModemUserGuides/TC4400-DataSheet.pdf

Both show 2 ethernet ports in/out and reference

Routing mode Transparent bridging

So… he may be set. Still, it’s necessary point to check for!

I was curious why there are two ports and asked Google. Apparently there are some people who have connected two routers so they can set up two completely separate networks. One for potentially insecure IOT devices (smart thermostats, etc) and the other firewalled for their computers & tablets. Not a scenario most people would feel they need and only works if the ISP supplies two IP addresses.

Yes, I was a DingDong here… forgetting “in” was from the F-connector.

But supposedly, a router could separate devices - that’s kind’a what they do.

Some of these can only be controlled if your mobile device is on the same local network. If you really skeptical if some unknown product, don’t connect it to your network.

Some of the “scary” things you see on TV, like a camera in a girls room, users need to have minimal responsibility and change default passwords! They didn’t always make this clear through the fear mongering :frowning:

You might consder a Chromecast with GoogleTV, You get a rea Google device with offical playstore. It includes Android TV and you can also cast to it.

I run EVERYTHING wireless. i have a Arris Surfboard Cablemodem, connected to a ARCHER TP LINK Cablemodem using CAT-6. Everything ia on the 5 GHz WiFi. It works great.

Which TP-Link Archer?

I checked this out, I know it’s marketing but it looks like it’s a decent system. If I would go with a streaming device, I’d strongly consider this over Fire TV and likly Roku… but very apprehensive with Google digging deeper into my life.

It not the way I’d go, largely in part to my slow, high-speed internet service. Really don’t like device I don’t have more control over… but that’s me.

1700 or something. Not home. It was picked by wilrecutter 5 or more years ago. It still works. I live in a one bedroom apartment only 750 sq feet.

So, moving along here with the lead up to cord cutting on December 17th. My Tablo Quad and Western Digital 1TB SATA drive arrived yesterday along with my Asus RT-AC86U router. I am having my Channel Master 4228 antenna and Pre-amp installed today.

I think I have it clear in my mind how to hook it all up on the 17th and am looking forward to seeing the new system in action. I will install the new modem from Ebox and connect the router to it with the Ethernet cable supplied. Then I will use my Mac computer to setup the router and network. Once setup, I will connect the Tablo via Ethernet cable to the router and connect the antenna. Once the Tablo is established on the network, I will get both Firesticks on the network and I should be ready to go.

I am very appreciative of all the great tech help that many of you have supplied to me in this thread and want to thank you all for that. At my age this stuff does not come as easy to me as it once did.

Bill

3 Likes