Possible to get an ETA on next Roku update/release?

@sshern

Did your issue with 1080p recordings only show up after the 2.2.2 firmware update? If so, your issue on the Roku might be the new 1080p 60 fps video. See thread below.

https://community.tablotv.com/t/firmware-2-2-2-drives-loading-please-wait/

1 Like

Yep. It was good at 1080 before. I can watch older recordings at 30 fps from the old firmware and it is better but not as good as before the update. It sounded like @TabloTV mentioned it could be network issues with 60 fps as ypu mentioned. I am trying a few tests this weekend changing the quality of the recordings. I have a hard time believing it is my hardwired network but won’t rule it out at all.

The 1080p 30 fps video and 1080p 60 fps video is likely recorded at the same bitrate so if your Roku is hard wired it shouldn’t be a network issue.

The OP likely has network issues as he/she was using WiFi.

If that is true wouldn’t the 60fps video be softer? By a lot?

Not necessarily, this is one pass encoding. Plus I’m not entirely sure but the 1080p recording quality I think records 720p 60 fps OTA content at actually 720p 60 fps - it doesn’t upscale to 1080p 60 fps.

But you are writing twice as many frames, with the same data allowance.

Can’t wait for Roku 4 to finally update this out of date 3+ year old system :smile:
I love my Roku 3, but holy crap it is underpowered.

thanks for the tip, I just tested it and I’m getting between 19 and 21 Mbps wireless, and between 45 and 47 while wired.

I wired the Roku to test it out this morning and after 5 minutes of watching yesterday soccer’s game in 1080p, I got the loading, please wait…

So I’ve been getting it wired / wireless, with a bad router and with a good one, before and after 2.2.2, but it’s gotten worse since.

Your issues are likely multi-factorial.

1. New router with Roku via WiFi probably caused some of the issues.
  2. The new 1080p 60 fps video since 2.2.2 is causing the increased frequency on the Roku. See that thread, Tablo acknowledged the issue, you’ll have to wait for a fix.

Using the 720p recording quality also does not differentiate between 1 and 2 above because:

1. 720p is a lower bitrate so WiFi issues would be solved.
  2. 720p uses 30 fps video.

To say that Roku can only handle 3.5 Mbps simply isn’t true, because mine does at least four times that much on a regular basis Where did that notion come from anyway? The only limitation I have seen was related to wireless bandwidth.

And even if this was true, then why wasn’t it a problem two weeks ago? Why did setups that were previously working fine just stop working all of a sudden?

@MrMark - Neither us nor Roku said this was a limitation. It is Roku’s suggestion to send approximately 3.5 mbps as this is what ALL Roku units despite style or setup can handle. We still routinely send more than this with no problem. (You can read more about recording qualities here: https://www.tablotv.com/blog/choosing-right-tablo-recording-quality/

The difference between now and then is that on the 1080 recording quality setting, all broadcasts that have 60 fps are now being recorded at 720 @ 60 fps. This is more data than the 1080 at 30 fps that we were previously sending.

Some Rokus/networks cannot handle this level of data so we are working on adding a different recording quality that will offer 1080 but not at 60fps.

I test with a notebook PC and an iPhone. When the notebook has a wired connection, I get very close to the theoretical maximum speed for a gigabit network when copying files from a Windows machine on the same network. But if one has a fast internet connection, the simpler test is speedtest.net. Running that test, I get about 105 Mbps wired and somewhere between 20 and 40 Mbps on Wi-Fi. That is via 2.4 GHz 802.11n. No dual-band.

The iPhone has the advantage of being more portable, so for example, I can run the speedtest.net app with the phone sitting in exactly the same spot where the Roku normally sits to get an idea of bandwidth in that particular spot. My iPhone can’t muster quite as much throughput as my notebook, but it still manages around 25 Mbps most of the time. Although, where the Roku sits, it is less than that…perhaps 15 Mbps.

But throughput doesn’t have to be perfectly consistent because I have observed that Roku retrieves streaming data in bursts. As long as the average throughput is high enough, it works fine. All this business about Roku just barely being able to hang on at data rates over 3.5 Mbps just seems silly to me.

1 Like

@TabloTV, I appreciate the reply. But I still don’t understand why “HD 1080p” is using more data today than it did two weeks ago, unless you guys changed the recording parameters for some reason.

I won’t pretend to understand why a 1080p setting would result in 720p/60 recordings. Or why a 720p/60 transport stream needs any conversion at all. I would have thought that 720p/60 would have always been recorded at 720p/60.

But if you guys did something that suddenly doubled the bandwidth requirements, then I can see how that might cause some problems in the real world. Although it still doesn’t explain why wired Roku 3 devices are not working flawlessly.

Listen, I think I’m just creating clutter in the thread, so I’m going to bow out and wait and see what happens from here. I will just throw out that if you guys would publish some facts, then we wouldn’t be left to speculate when things go wrong. Its a bit like primitive man trying to understand the nature of the universe by looking up into the sky. There just wasn’t enough information to draw good conclusions, so popular belief was based upon lore, myth and supposition.

1 Like

You may want to save that money for the Roku 4 due out this fall. Supposedly with some beefed up hardware changes and quite a bit of software improvements.

@MrMark - Previously Tablo did NOT record at 60 fps and instead downsampled recordings broadcast at 60 fps to 30. This is the change that was made that is causing DOUBLE the amount of frames to be delivered than previously in some instances.

Hopefully that helps clarify.

Thanks, that explains a lot. And if you are saying that you guys are going to add the original resolution option back in again, then that sounds like a smart idea.

@MrMark - The details are still being sorted out, but what we’ll end up with is two versions of 1080, one that does 60 fps and one that doesn’t.

Once the details are finalized we’ll update the blog post above so everything is clear.

Has anyone affected by the reloads and reboots tried to run 1080p recordings off the Plex app running on Roku?

If so, were you still getting the issues?

The 720p 60 fps video should be a similar bitrate to the previous 1080p 30 fps video, so for those with hard wired Roku 3s is the problem the Roku video player does not handle 60 fps well? I can’t see this being a local network bandwidth / speed / throughput issue for those hard wired. In my experience, the Roku video player can be very picky with the specifics of h.264 encoding.

I’m only asking because if it’s how the video is encoded, this could possibly be fixed in changing how the Tablo encodes the 720p 60 fps video.

Thanks!

@theuser86, I don’t think that exactly what @TabloTV told me:

Previously Tablo did NOT record at 60 fps and instead downsampled
recordings broadcast at 60 fps to 30. This is the change that was made
that is causing DOUBLE the amount of frames to be delivered than
previously in some instances.

I took that to mean that no resolution, including 720p, was previously recorded at 60 FPS. If that is true, then 720p/60 now requires 55,296,000 pixels per second, which would be double 720p/30, and just slightly less than 1080i/60 or 1080p/30 at 62,208,000 pixels. Maybe @TabloTV will clarify.