Possible to get an ETA on next Roku update/release?

720p works better, much less interruption with Roku.

However, with Football season starting I’m definitely going to record in 1080P and watch on airplay, I’d rather lose a remote then watch choppy games of football :slight_smile:

Much less interruption or none?

I’ll run some tests later to confirm.

Just out of curiosity, any of you guys are recording in 1080p and running it on Roku flawlessly?

I use 1080p over Wifi on Roku and it is almost flawless. Fast startup and no buffering for almost all shows, but my wife says occasionally she gets buffering on the Bacherlorette for some reason. Other than that its flawless since I upgraded my router.

What is the make and model of said router?

TP-Link Archer C7. It seems to be quite popular around here.

The main reason I watch Tablo using the FireTV Stick instead of Roku 3. I’ve got enough HDMI connections that both can be plugged in, and ust use the HDMI button on the TV remote.

So was the old 1080p / 30 fps not pushing quite 10 mps? Before the update I had been running 1080 for almost a year with no issues on a hardwired Roku 3. Once the last firmware was installed I get the lovely “loading” signal, mainly when watching recorded shows but a little with Live TV. I’ll switch it over to 720p and see if it works any better today.

As mentioned above is anyone with a Roku still able to get flawless playback with the new update and 1080p / 60? @getcashmoney mentioned that his was working on wireless but didn’t mention if it was with the update.

Would Chromecast solve the bit rate problem?

I tried my Chromecast and it was a little better but not perfect. I don’t have a great wireless router though.

I did it, now live TV / new 720p recording are working perfectly.

I have a chromecast downstairs that I tested and with 1080P recordings it stutters every 10 seconds, 720p recordings works perfectly on it too.

I can still play my 1080p recordings on my apple tv and they’re perfect…

As per Tablo official answer, I’m having a hard time understanding how can my issue be network related, when it’s working on one device and not on the 2 other…

Yes it was with the new update I am one of the beta testers so I have had it for a while.

It is definitely network related if the 720p setting is working perfectly.

The 1080p setting works great for me on my hard wired Roku’s. 1080p did not work well on WiFi until I upgraded my router to the TP-Link TL-WDR3600. The Roku and Apple TV have different wireless antennas in them, this will result in different performance over WiFi. Hard wire your Roku to provide it is in fact a WiFi networking issue.

1. Which Roku do you have? 4200, 4210, 4230?
  2. What is the make and model of your router?

Strange.,no problems before the update with a wired connection. My daughter has been watching a number of Daniel Tiger episodes this morning under the 1080p recording setting. Shows under the old firmware have some buffering but new episodes recorded under the new firmware buffer significantly more.

Looks like I need to do a network speed test along with my test of switching to 720p for some recordings today. I’m sure the Tablo guys/gals are working on the issue but there was definitely something that changed or we wouldn’t see so many people having the issue.

1 Like

Well just performed a wired network test and was around 80mps for both the Roku and Tablo. So network speed shouldn’t be an issue for the higher 1080p.

Related question to your post, I’ve seen several people mention their network speeds by testing, what do people use to test their network speeds for this kind of application? I assume you’re talking about your LAN.

I used Lan Speed Test (Lite) for my wired network. http://www.totusoft.com/lanspeed1.html

You are required to have another network drive or computer to use this program as it writes and reads a file to the other location. I plugged in my laptop into both the wires (Roku and Tablo) and wrote a 40 meg file to another wired computer on my network. It showed 80mps on both wires. I also used it to see what the laptop did when over wireless and it was around 17 mps.

1 Like

Cool, that was the one I found but didn’t know if there was anything better. Thanks.

@theuser86 thanks for your help, very appreciated.

I have the 4230x, my router is Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 with latest firmware 1.0.4.30

I can’t get my Roku wired atm, could possibly try later.

So I just factory reset my Roku, reset my modem / router and connected my Roku to the 2.4ghz band. I switched back the quality to 1080p and power cycled my tablo.

So far so good, been watching 1 hour of live TV and 30 mins of recorded 1080p pre-recorded show and no skip so far.

My Chromecast is still unable to play any recorded 1080p shows for it’s part. I’ll try the workaround with VLC later.

Thanks again!

While in theory 5 GHz is faster than 2.4 GHz for Wireless N, it suffers over long distances and through walls. So when a WiFi device is far away from the router the 5 GHz band may produce slower speeds than 2.4 GHz.

The Roku 4230 is only Wireless N. If you had a Wireless AC Roku to take advantage of your fancy router you’d be golden on 1080p.