POLL: What Type of Antenna Do You Use with Tablo?

Hi folks -

We haven’t asked this question in a very long time so we were wondering…

What type of Over-the-Air TV antenna do you use with Tablo?

• Indoor short-range (10-30 mile) flat panel antenna
  • Indoor mid-range (30-60 mile) flat panel antenna
  • Indoor alternative-style antenna (rabbit ears, desktop, etc.)
  • Outdoor mid-range (30-60 mile) antenna
  • Outdoor long-range (50-70 mile+) antenna
  • DIY or homemade antenna
  • Obligatory Other

0 voters

You forgot a antenna such as clearstream 2v/4v that is used either in the attic or in the actual house.

• Obligatory Other

Makes sense to me.

One of the more common antenna installations has less context then homemade antenna.

Even the beloved antop at-400bv comes with a pedestal for inside usage.

1 Like

…and how is “in the attic” not part of an actual house?

Ok, right, indoor/outdoor. Not where is your antenna, what type of antenna?

For years I’ve had a large chest of drawers that sits in a window.

I also have both a clearstream 2v and 4v. I can and do use either sitting on the chest of drawers for perfect reception.

Given the fact that using it that way reduces antenna reception distance by 10%-12%, what is the survey answer?

I picked outdoor long range as the closest match for my 25 year old 10 foot VHF LO/HI / UHF antenna, though it is mounted in my (high clearance) attic.

I have a similar vintage antenna, I chose Other as I refer to it as “TV” antenna.

I don’t recall marketing naming scheme of the time😐

I use a 1byone 85-mile outdoor antenna mounted indoors on a pole in the corner of the second story master bedroom where the Tablo Dual is located. I am 60 miles from the Washington DC metropolitan area stations and can receive about 55 channels from this setup. When the hillside behind me is leafed out in the summer, I lose the two network VHF-high network stations (ABC and CBS) to pixelation, but regain them when the leaves fall. Tablo is great for a single device to deliver my OTA channels to any television or portable device in my three-story house!

I purposely bought a 70+ antenna knowing full well that tablo, not hdhomerun, can only pick up the channels, up to 32 miles away, not blocked by mountains.

GIGO.

Antenna Direct Eclipse with amplifier stuck in window with 3m Command strip. 58 channels, Cincinnati 45239 area.

1 Like

Awright…we need an Antop intervention…:mask:

1 Like

Workshop in my backyard, hooked up a 2 ft long CB antenna, get 5 out of 6 of those that’s available, watching abc 5pm news right now.

After trying a attic install I decided to go for the Antop on the roof.

2 Likes

Antop 720 UFO for me, mounted at the back of the chimney. Most stations are about 20 miles away and I use it without amplification. Seems to work alright even with all the thick trees in the backyard.
30022 Alpharetta, GA

I have this antique TV antenna about 25’ up on the edge of the woods pointing toward a walnut tree…

I don’t believe it was technically rated for the ~40mi I am from the towers. I get 5-7 stations each with 3 or 4 sub-channels, year round.

These antennas, I guess, were before the era of leaf interference. Though a small plane flying by may cause a moment of interference. It doesn’t have a name. It’s survived brutal storms for about 25 years (unclear how longs it’s been there, it wasn’t a memorable event)

The antenna on top is a traditional Yagi - I have the same or very similar in my attic and connected to my Tablo. It provides about the same performance as my ClearStream 4V, both are very good but not perfect. I’m still considering getting an Antop but that would mean a nasty trip up in the attic :fearful:.
I’m not sure what those elements are below the Yagi.

remnants of an FM antenna. The connections gave way some time ago. Below that, an original Radio Shack pre-amp. Didn’t last long, since I was still capable of getting up there to by-pass it. At the top of the tower (in front of the rotor) is the radio device for my wireless internet, this one uses LTE technology.

Prior to this, I put up 2 real big antennas… I guess I didn’t know what I was doing since they didn’t survive. Young 'N dumb, thought bigger was better, till a storm passed though. (initially I had a steel tripod tower, rusted out at the concrete base)

My long range Televes performing beautifully.