POLL - Have You Tried Other OTA DVRs?

ATSC 30_new

This is a screen shot of the HDHomeRun config utility. The signal strength is not a good indicator, as it shows anywhere from 60%-90% on stations that have no channels on them (noise I guess). But the symbol quality is important (if it falls below 100%, you see pixelation in the picture) and signal quality (anything above 55% usually gives a good picture) are important.

This is off RF 31 - which I get interference from Houston 180 miles away…that is why the signal quality is only 77%. If it were ATSC 1.0, the channel wouldn’t tune in. ATSC 3.0 is solid 99% of the time on this channel.

SiliconDust had to change the channel #'s to 1XX.XX because they can’t play ATSC 3.0 channels on a lot of streaming devices (lack of AC4 audio). It allows the system to tune 42.1 for ATSC 1.0, and 142.1 for the ATSC 3.0.

Here is the ATSC 1.0 of the same channel:
atsc 10

Here is a channel that is on the “digital cliff” - it tunes fine right now, but it does drop out occasionally:
atsc 10 marginal

I’d love to know if you think it’s worth buying yet. I’m close to an early ATSC 3.0 market. I haven’t looked at it in a while. Last I looked their message board was filled with complaints.

If you are looking for ATSC 3.0 to be used as a primary viewing or DVR device, it still has a lot of bugs. Many of them are due to lack of standards that the broadcasters are using, and there are issues with devices not supporting AC4 audio. If you have XBox One as your streaming device, or Windows 10, it works flawlessly in Austin, TX.

The only recording devices are the SiliconDust products and Windows 10 - and they do have issues.

That being said, I use it to fine tune setups, scan channels (it gives both RF and Virtual Channels), and general troubleshooting on my network. I still use the Tablo DVRs as my primary DVRs (and will probably keep it that way for at least a year - until more bugs are removed AND they have more channels in ATSC 3.0 - and possibly 4K content).

The hardware is pretty solid…just have to deal with the constant firmware upgrades and “beta testing” type of unit…

This looks similar to data from DVB tuner card. You haven’t ran your.script for awhile as the info is outdated.

Note, 11.1 WTOL-HD wasn’t 480i as 11.2 MeTV was never 1080i. Unless you had a copy & paste slip, you script may swap some data.

As for tablo’s weak signal error, I’ve often suspected it was a generic message, but never to the degree either of you explain it - thanks!

Wondering, consumer term “digital cliff” is likely the value of signal quality (which is vague) or SN ratio? As been discussed often, signal strength, although important, is only part of a digital picture.

Correct! That’s 2018 data. I ran it a lot when I was adjusting things. I haven’t needed to run it recently.

So far as the weird report in the 480 vs 1080. I thought that was wierd too. There was no copy paste error and my script didn’t switch anything. All data from each station was grabbed as a single chunk. That’s how my Roku TV reported it. So if there’s an error blame Roku! :joy:

I would love to get similar data @jimtablotv. How do I access this data on the Roku? Is there a screen or is the only way to get it via a script? If the script is the best way can I get a copy of your script? What scripting language did you use?

Never mind, I found your previous post below that explains it. Thanks!

This is contrary to the screen shot bbaorbb dug up from Dec 2018. They XML shows

11.1 as 1080i …what’s up with that? That’s what it’s broadcast, any of it’s sub-channels have been 480i (back then, with MeTV, I believe there were only 3).

It’s not really important, just noticed.

If you need any help let me know. It certainly does make the antenna a whole lot easier to tune. I wish our old TV had that!

I honestly don’t know why it varied. I thought it might have been due to programming being in different resolutions but that doesn’t seem quite right. I looked at my scans. Some were 1080 for channel 11.1 and others were 480. The script itself had no way to switch data from one channel with another because it never had the details of 2 channels in memory at one time. This is how the script works.

• It tunes the Roku to a channel
  • Grabs all meta data
  • Removes xml tags
  • Appends everything to a text file
  • Repeat

If I find the original script I’d be happy to share it or if you want to look at some of the scans I would be happy to share them on pastebin or someplace similar.

Tablo was my first OTA dvr but as of late I have branched out and looked at other ones. Mainly because Tablo isn’t picking up some of the AVC or AVC/H.264 channels that are in the Chicago area. So I bought an older HDhomerun extend and it picks up these channels with no issues. My understanding is that these are still ATSC 1.0, so the Tablo should still pick it up but it doesn’t. To get back to the question I have been using my own Synology DS418 along side of either a Plex or Emby server to record shows. I love it. The interface is awesome. I wish Tablo would do this and maybe automatically turn it into a mp4.