Please Add Real Time Signal Strength

While I’m really excited about cutting the cable. Antenna pointing has been rather difficult without any sort of quasi real-time feedback. I have to perch myself on my slanted spanish tile roof to get to the antenna, and then await over 5 minutes to get the full scan result, adjust the antenna, and then rescan. There are one or two channels that are problematic for me, so the ability to use the tuners to lock onto those channels and display the the RSL would be of great benefit.

14 Likes

The view from the roof can be enchanting. Spent many a peaceful moment up there in the clouds… Tilt :point_left::point_right::point_up_2::point_down::pray:

4 Likes

Might not be enough hardware in the Tablo to do this. With only 4 tuners on the highest Tablo, you’d probably at most be able to see signal strength on 4. Even your higher end televisions take some time to work through all the channels.

One tuner would suffice – two would be great. I know which channels are the challenging ones and would leave the tuner set to one of those channels as I point the antenna.

2 Likes

New here. I cant agree more. It would be enough to display the channel strength in the channel guide when you select a channel to watch. It could on that screen where it asks you to play or record.

2 Likes

I don’t think you need a dynamic strength in the every day usage of the Tablo, but it would be nice during initial setup to fine tune your antenna. But once you have good signal, it’s a set it and leave it thing.

Ok so lets look at the use case:

I want to adjust my antenna for channel X and see the results while I’m adjusting the antenna on my personal device thats connected to my tablo. I don’t want to have to go to my tv and mess with it or even mess with it on my device. I’m turning the antenna and I want to just watch the strength measure as I do so.

In that use case we just need some info about the signal strength somewhere in the channel guide or the channel setup menu under settings. My thinking is that it would be easier to add it to the popup from the guide but I’ll let the tablo folks figure out the best UI experience for it.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I meant, dynamic channel signal strength (aka real time) under setup in the channel scan section.

1 Like

I would like to see the ability for Tablo to show me a diagnostic screen for signal strength and other signal metrics. I can do this in real time with my HD TV’s but not my Tablo. This would best let me optimize my antenna distribution system and make sure I have the proper signal to the Tablo.

Perhaps this is built into the web-only GUI on the settings page as an advanced section.

1 Like

Real time channel signal strength should be included on a settings screen. Needed to help optimize antenna placement.

1 Like

Does any TV and their tuners keep the real time strength of all their channels? Or does the user have to select a specific channel and request signal strength.

This would be a killer feature. One more vote from me.

I agree this would be a nice feature that shows on the TV Guide as you are going through the channels.

Moving through the Live TV Guide doesn’t appear to tune any channels until the user selects play or watch. If you have 15-20 channels and the tablo had to tune each channel as it scrolls through the guide it could take 3-4 minutes to transverse the guide.

1 Like

Agreed. This is sorely needed!

@zippy …speaking of signal/station strength …i have seen some expensive digital tuner boxes that show on every chanell…but in our case, we can only rely on the Tablo tuners, so i go by the 5 green dot strength meter on the chanell scan in the ipad Tablo app

I do all my updating thru the ipad app, not the appletv of course because it lacks that iOS functionality

After doing a new channel scan after repositioning and adding height to my rooftop antenna, I just added the 1080,720,480 all 5 green dots on ipad stations for their respective ratios. Stations that were yellow or red I did not add by the way they were stations I did not want anyway.
All we care about is local abc,nbc,cbs,fox,…but i sure like the grit,cozitv,justice,heroicon,cw, 3 ion stations,decades,pbs,escape,mvies,revn,metv…all these are 5 green dot either …1 of those 3 ratios and my samsung 4 k tv has and incredible up scaler that makes even 480 look good.

The dots on the app are crazy wild in their readings also. I’m having a heck of a time getting a low VHF channel (why on earth they still broadcast on low VHF, I’ll never know, but it’s the local CBS & CW affiliate, so I kinda want to get it). Anyway, on one scan, it’ll show 5 green bars (but the station doesn’t come in very well), on another scan, it’ll show one red. Well, dot’s I guess, not bars. Regardless, a better and more accurate signal strength indicator is sorely needed!

@silence
A friend of mine was experiencing what you are describing and he had forgotten about a windstorm and reposition his antenna. As soon as he repositioned his roof antenna with the compass and hen re-channel scan he got every channel he wanted in five green dots.

Thanks for trying, but we just moved and I aimed the antenna right before doing these two scans, that’s why it stood out to me so strongly. Two scans, no antenna movement at all, and Tablo reported completely different results.

I agree. A dynamic signal strength meter is needed. Since this request is two years old, it doesn’t seem like we are going to get it.

1 Like