Paused show keeps restarting (old thread)

Both of those would be playlists with set endpoints. If the playlist is open-ended (like with live or live to tape recordings) then you’ll see that behavior.

1 Like

Aha, that explains it! Thanks.

Not only have I experienced this with Bloomberg live feed television, I can also confirm that Pause unpauses sooner when my recording speed selections are higher 1080 720@60

Have experienced this with the Trump live feed and the pause never works…

I guess I don’t understand why this never happened to me before a few weeks ago. Did something in the Roku change with the 7.0 OS update?

I’ve started using my Fire TV stick more now because I frequently start watching a show 10-15 minutes after it started and this problem is driving me crazy.

Happens every morning while watching the news. It is a scheduled recording but watching it before completion. Roku 3. We assumed the Roku was possessed.

I’ve had a similar problem with YouTube on Roku. In fact, I’ve come back days later and found YouTube happily playing videos - filling up my YouTube history with fairly unfortunate videos played from my “recommendations”. I assume this is because I paused a YouTube video and then turned off the TV. At some point, again assuming, it auto-resumed playback.

This never, ever happened to me until the Roku 7.0 update. I

I think it happens on live broadcasts. It is not a Tablo issue but rather it is a Roku issue where the buffer gets filled up on a live broadcast and all of a sudden the pause unpauses. Happens to me with Bloomberg, Tablo and all other live broadcasts - never happens with Netflix or similar channels.

1 Like

That’s cra’y - I don’t treat my Roku like a cable box though, I always exit to the Home Screen when done watching anything.

That’s the theory but before the 7.0 update I used to always watch a currently recording show and pause it and that never happened to me.

Same. I’m on the recommended 720-5 quality and I only get about 3 minutes of pause time on my R3. That’s not even close to acceptable. Might have to think about the Shield after all.

Last night I had a weird experience. I had paused a show and, of course, after a couple of minutes it started playing. So I backed out to the recordings list so I could go do something. When I started it up again, after pausing it did not start playing automatically. I waited more than 3-4 minutes but I don’t remember exactly how long it stayed on pause. The show was still recording though.

Never had this problem on Rokus until more recent firmware updates. Pausing indefinitely was never a problem for over a year of ownership.

New bug introduced with repairs of prior issues. Thankfully the fixed bugs make the Tablo really a pleasure to use nearly all the time so this pausing problem is a very minor annoyance.

I’m glad that someone finally shares my belief that the problem is with the newest Roku firmware.
It is a minor annoyance but still annoying.

I don’t know what’s changed (certainly not my HD space as I erase pretty much everything after watching it), but now I seem to be getting up to at least a half hour of pause time. I’ve been on v.7 - 9044 since 12/15/15 which is long before I started seeing the short pausing time.

This is still happening to me. You’d think after 8 months that they’d be able to figure this out.

I finally upgraded to the new Fire TV. That problem does not happen on the Fire TV.

Still happening to me. Could be 10 minutes, 5 minutes or 10 seconds. VERY annoying.

This was figured out months ago. Here is the explanation:

TabloTVDec '15
Hey everyone - Upon further review of Roku’s documentation, our experts have found that this is a limitation of the Roku platform.

Roku devices don’t have an infinite buffer for LIVE streams. What this means is that while you’re watching live TV, Roku will keep requesting segments of the playlist until its pause buffer is full, then it will automatically resume while it dumps the old segments from the buffer to make room for the new ones.

Those streaming at higher resolutions (like 10 Mbps) will see a shorter time window between the pause and the buffer overflowing (2-3 minutes) vs. a lower stream (3 Mbps) where it will be between 20-30 minutes.

Since we cannot control Roku’s root behavior, it’s not possible to generate a fix for this. The only recommendation is to move to a lower recording quality if you need longer than 3 minutes to run to the restroom.

This is not a Tablo issue. I have the same issue with all live streaming - such as Bloomberg News.

1 Like

To play Devil’s Advocate here,if this is a Roku problem then why did it start occurring recently and never did it before?