OTA when internet is down

You can use your Tablo for live and recorded TV when just the internet is down (on most clients). There are quite a few posts and threads about what works and what doesn’t.

I need to work on a resolution for this as I thought a few months ago (new Tablo Quad user) was concerned about my fiber optic broadband and AC power. My desktop and Tablo are connected to a UPS, so I’ll have AC power for several hours or more. I ran a few really crude tests by disconnecting the ONT, modem/router etc. I thought that i would be ok, but I’m not, I need to figure something else out. Yesterday evening fiber optic broadband went out. We still had power, just lost the internet. OTA TV through the Tablo was a no-go. I tried TV through my desktop and my phone without success. I kept receiving the error that there wasn’t an internet connection or something similar.

What device are you using? Roku, Fire TV, etc.?

The http://my.tablotv.com/ website in the Chrome browser on a desktop computer requires a live internet connection to work. It does not work offline when the internet is down.

To elaborate, PCs require an active internet connection to “find” aka discovery the tablo via https://api.tablotv.com/assocserver/getipinfo/ (forum search results) then all activity is on your local network - no internet activity… unless “something” happens.

1 Like

Happy to report that PCs can now access Tablo live channels and recordings without the internet. The latest version of Tablo Tools has the ability to live play the channels on our Tablos (as well as play prior recordings) - so when the internet is down (blocking access to Nuvyyo’s servers) it is now still possible to play both recordings and live TV on our computers as long as Tablo Tools was installed before the internet went down.

Thank you Jesse!

1 Like

Thanks for posting about the tools. I have used a Tablo for almost 3 years now. Never have I been able to watch when the internet went down. Until now . The tools work just fine.
Now for my question to any and all. Why go through all these work arounds to watch OTA , unless you want to watch your recordings also? A simple A/B switch works wonders to watch OTA.
When the network comes back just switch it back to the Tablo.

I’m not sure why you don’t have a splitter – it’s a no-brainier compared to a a switch in my perspective. Just press the “TV” button on the remote, that’s the switch. If you want to watch free OTA recordings, when the internet you pay for isn’t working - exporting shows eliminates things.

Splitters cause signal loss, switches don’t.

Yes a splitter would work just as well. However I don’t like the 3 db loss of signal you get from a splitter. The switch has less real LOS. Either works just fine in most cases.

An Amplified splitter would mitigate the loss.

1 Like

Add that cost up a few more $$ I guess. LOL NAH I’ll stay with my $3 A/B switch. Been using this A/B switch on and off for 30 years now. Picked it for use while I was living in Germany many a moons ago.

If your signals are that weak or “just don’t like” it? If you you’ll loose reception with 3db drop, you may have the wrong antenna or it may be mis-aligneed.

I have splitters for 3 TVs and 2 tabols across over 50’ RG6 and I’m next to the wood while towers are almost 50mi away. [as a note for other who may come across this in the future splitters are not inheritily bad)

Not all switches are created equal either, and depending on shell switching mechanism, may have LOS, other may not. They are mechanical - subject to wear.

Really folks ! All I wanted to do is make a comment about why so many are going through all these hoops to make software and networks work so they can watch the Tablo while the internet is down. A simple A/B switch to watch OTA and forget about the Tablo while things are down was all I was saying.
Was never the intent to start a discussion about splitters or any other device. Seems my point may have been missed a tad. As they old saying goes. FORGET ABOUT IT .

Lol these threads are made for a conversation, everyone has an opinion about works best for them.

Also this isn’t even your thread so I’m not sure why you’d feel offended others don’t agree with you lol

an F-81 barrel connector has signal loss… but not any switch? Not all switches are created equal. Splitter loss is negligible in a stable system. No user intervention. Never wears out.

Following your analogy, cable runs cause signal loss… :speak_no_evil:

Offended NAH. Not me. I have learned my lesson. Unless I have a question, I’ll be staying out these little conversations. Y’all go on now. I’ll just read along.

check this out.

and now check this out.

Background on me. 40 years in satellite ground station antennas, radio telescopes and satellites.

The first article does not denounce splitters due to signal loss and conclude with marketing about the splitters they sell… because they aren’t a bad thing!

If you experience signal issues while using a splitter, you may need to install a distribution amplifier or antenna preamplifier.

Suggest a system could/should handle a small drop, “if you”. Implies using a splitter doesn’t equate to signal issues, but is possible and easy to overcome.

A splitter will have approximately 3.5 dB of loss on each port.

And this is noticeable in your setup? or considered “too much”

The longer the length of a piece of coaxial cable, the more signal is lost.

and zero for a A/B switch?

Although they do exists, I searched Shop Channel Master can’t find an amazingly awesome A/B switch. Why won’t they currently sell such an awesomely amazing product directly from their site?

You can easily find the answers to your questions so have at it. Wishing you a great weekend and a safe journey thru life.