OTA when internet is down

A feature which would allow you to watch OTA (at least one channel) when ever the internet is down would be nice, During times of heavy storms one or the other may go down. It would be nice to still get the weather reports. I know I can split my antenna signal and feed it to Tablo and my TV but my TV isn’t near a TV outlet since, Tablo uses WiFi to connect to my TV. Antway just a thought. I love my Tablo Quad, the ultimate
cord cutter DVR.

3 Likes

It seems like this has been discussed forever in this forum.

I unplugged the internet cable and can use my Roku 3 and ultra to watch live TV via tablo.

For Fire TV stick the fire OS won’y do anything until the internet connection is re-established.

2 Likes

If you use a Roku 3 or an Ultra you can watch live tv without the internet. At least we have in our home.

I just change the input on my TV from “HDMI 1” to “Antenna” and it’s all good. Of course, this is because I used an amplifying splitter before the cable from the antenna reached either the TV or the Tablo, but it’s simple, effective, and cheap.

1 Like

Gee, I wonder if there’s a reason for that.

Huh.

1 Like

Probably because some understand that there are certain IETF standards that govern how various components interact and work together.

It’s not just a fluid make it up as you go technology. But if you have the technical skills to plug in the right components you don’t need the internet.

Or at least I had mine working fine hosting my own DHCP on DD-WRT on a linksys router. But for me it was all a game since I live in area where the internet or power rarely goes out. We’re more worried about wildfires and falling into the ocean after the 8.0 earthquake.

1 Like

Or probably because it’s insane that anything that has stored recordings on it inside my house is not accessible by other things inside my house unless the internet pipe that goes OUTSIDE my house is live.

And everyone recognizes that.

4 Likes

Since Tivo connects directly to your TV via HDMI, maybe Tivo is the solution for you.

One of the reasons I’m moving off the Amazon platform

hmmmmm. I have a Plex server in my house. It does not connect directly to my TV at all (just like Tablo). It’s a network device that sits in my basement (just like Tablo).

Sure, it connects to my Plex account in the cloud (just like a TabloTV connects to your Tablo account in the cloud). But the movies and shows are stored locally (just like Tablo).

Yet for some reason or 'nother, when my pipe to the outside world is disconnected, Plex can still stream those locally stored movies and shows to my various TVs in my house using my Fire TVs and my final Roku device (most certainly UNlike Tablo, which absolutely can’t stream its locally stored shows to those same local devices in my home).

So if Plex can do it, why can’t Tablo, hmmmmmm?

(Channels DVR can, too.)

2 Likes

My DHCP server sits on my ISP router and goes down when the internet goes down.

But my Roku’s can stream tablo recordings and play live TV until various devices need to renew their IP leases.

Maybe your DHCP server is doesn’t go down, your IP lease time is especially long, or your plex server is extra special. And is your Channels DVR using ethernet to stream to your TV?

hmmmm?

You should go help these folks :wink: :

Plex without internet is a crap shoot depending on how you’ve got it configured, how your network(s) are configured and what client you use. The SmartTV app actually loads from the internet from what I understand.

Or as the channelmaster Stream+ DVR WEB page states:

Program guide information and the ability to schedule recordings require an internet connection

With all respect, Tablo is marketed a consumer device – NOT one that requires significant knowledge of network protocols and IETF standards.

There should be a built-in fallback solution that allows continued access to your antenna and hard drive in the event of internet disconnect. It really is a basic requirement, that for whatever reason, Tablo has failed to address.

3 Likes

Some proprietary devices may. None of this is clearly stated in a readily available space - internet for guide data or out of house streaming.

Neither the box or the product page state, for basic function… you’re going to need to pay for internet access to watch your free OTA via tablo.

Z[quote=“Lysander, post:14, topic:20734”]
With all respect, Tablo is marketed a consumer device – NOT one that requires significant knowledge of network protocols and IETF standards.

There should be a built-in fallback solution that allows continued access to your antenna and hard drive in the event of internet disconnect. It really is a basic requirement, that for whatever reason, Tablo has failed to address.
[/quote]
Amen. I cancelled my lifetime guide for that reason. I scan my channels and one second later Tablo sets them to something else. They’ve been giving me a story about the FCC is to blame because they’ve allowed too many channels in my area. However, my transmitter is thirty miles away WSW from my roof. The one they say is interfering is 100 miles away NNW from my roof mounted antenna. How can channels interfere when the antenna isn’t picking them up? No one at Tablo support will answer these questions, they just read from the script and open another ticket. Sad.

1 Like

Why would anyone cancel a lifetime guide when there is nothing else to pay? Or did you mean that you were going to get a lifetime guide and decided not to?

I’m going to stick it to the man.

I don’t think this user has ever posted which stations they are talking about and in what zip code.

Maybe regret. Jumping in for life before actually taking the time to understand if it would be something they’d want/use for their lifetime.

What is the purpose of posting without providing any information. I can conjure up any number of possibilities.

Or is it to - stick it to the man.

If I did it they might put me on a 5150 hold. Of course I might be in the squad car with Rob Reiner.