OTA when internet is down

Then why the post for all us mere mortals to see? You could’ve posted this under Tablo Support Twitter and not have all of us trying to help. Don’t get snippy with the community because we asked for more info than you felt necessary to divulge. We are only trying to help.

1 Like

OK, ‘mere mortal’ is this your way of helping? Sorry if this issue hurts your eyes. This issue has been reported multiple times. To Support. And I intend to post wherever and whenever I feel my free speech rights apply. Tablo has no right to change my channel scans and remove and add channels that don’t exist. You want snippy,I have a load.

Who told you this was a forum for you to say what ever you felt like saying?
https://community.tablotv.com/faq

You’ll need to get your own “this is my free speech” forum to just post with disreguard to anyone else.

1 Like

Again, hate that YOU have had ALL these issues. We have used an original 4-tuner Tablo since 02/25/2016 and not had any of the issues you mentioned. Yes, it may not work for everyone, but most seem happy with it. Hope you find something that works out for you.

It is a common misconception that the First Amendment prohibits anyone from limiting free speech, including private, non-governmental entities. It is applicable only to the government limiting free speech.

That said, it would be nice to have access to recordings even if the internet is down. Many have reliable internet, but some people don’t. Requiring internet just adds a potential issue. It could be a simple interface, maybe just titles and no pictures.

I think what is bugging people is that the Tablo is sitting there with all your recordings and one would think it should be able to stream them to your device as long as your network is up and running. That just seems like the way it should be, although I’m sure there’s some programming in there that makes it difficult to do.

I can pass the play list URL to a media play on my media PC and and stream it hassle free (well, once I get the path).

Most, or a couple I’m familiar with, 3rd party apps access my tablo without the internet - one I provide the IP another, either uses the internet or has some discovery facility, and it does store the tablo IP, so I suspect it could use that as well.

Here’s a post from TabloSupport suggesting the methodology just isn’t in their business model… I suspect they want a simplistic consumer device.

If you use a Roku on a home-network you can watch your recordings.

Is this topic about the Internet being down or the WiFi going down because some people have crappy home routers that shut down the WiFi when the “Internet” goes down? Are we saying the Tablo doesn’t function when the LAN is up but the WAN is not?

I have seen it continue working on some devices and not on others. One time we had an outage and it worked in our iPads but not on the Samsung TV built in app.

That sounds like the Samsung app is trying to connect out to the Internet and wasn’t able to.

My Fire TV sticks go no where without the WAN.

But I’m sure if you search the forum you might find threads lots of posts.

The first post sums the topic if the title is vague.

Pretty sure that’s an Amazon issue. It won’t run any apps with Internet.

FWIW, on my main computer I keep a tab with my.tablotv.com loaded all the time. When I do that, it works even when the internet goes down. It’s only when it needs to load the app that it fails.

And how long could the WAN be down before that solution stops working?

It sounds like this problem has less to do with the Tablo device and more to do with the various Tablo apps. When people mention the “Tablo” I just think of the device.

It has to do with the various IETF standards.

How the various playback devices work is a business decision.

1 Like

And what standard are you looking at specifically?

DHCP.

Since we are talking about a consumer product versus a commercial product, product suppliers understand that 99% of the customers couldn’t manually configure IP addresses, DNS servers, routers, etc.

If you run ifconfig/ipconfig on a windows or linux system you could obtain you IP lease time.

If your DHCP server runs on an ISP supplied router it many go down when the WAN link goes down.

Of course then there is power up without WAN and NTP,etc.etc.

I can see this for IPv6, not so much for IPv4 which is normally supplied via DHCP regardless of the state of the WAN connection.