NOW LIVE! – Tablo App for Apple TV

I’m not sure this is true. They limit the initial download size but then allow downloads to fill in after that. I don’t see a reason why the guide data couldn’t be cached. I would think the final download size of a game along with some of its downloads are well larger than the Tablo app.

For a first release, the app for the Apple TV app is adequate; however, there are issues I see after a few days of use:

Guide data loads too slowly (maybe load the text first to fill out the guide, then load the series art)
Live TV takes too long to load
Too many clicks are needed to begin watching currently airing content. I would prefer to go directly to the content and bypass the recording options screen when selecting content that is currently airing from the guide. Perhaps a click on currently airing content takes you to that content and a long press brings up a UI overlay (a la what happens when you hold down the home button when you put the Apple TV to sleep) with recording options
The scrubber does not show thumb nails unless the content being viewed has been completely recorded
The amount of time that is skipped when pressing the right side of the touch pad on the remote is too short, 30s would be better or, if in a commercial, skipping to the end of the commercial break would be best
No use of the top section of the Apple TV home screen when the Tablo app is in the top row of the home screen. It would be nice to see series or movie poster art for currently airing content on live TV.
Episodes in the series page could have a better layout. I am partial to the Hulu series layout (seasons laid out vertically, with episodes within the same season laid out horizontally). It is the quickest to navigate of the VOD services I subscribe too. Also, if I click on an episode thumbnail I would prefer it to begin playing immediately rather than have to click watch to then begin the episode. Once again, a click on the thumbnail should begin to play the episode and a long press should bring up a UI overlay with options such as delete, etc.

Additional features I’d like to see:
Show a week’s worth of guide data
Make recorded content, currently airing content, and content yet to air searchable using Siri. A 24 hour guide would be sufficient if this were implemented.
Filters for recordings, sports, kids, movies, etc.

My setup is wired with a gigabit router and gigabit switch, so I do not believe the lag in guide data populating and Live TV starting is network related.

If I click on a thumbnail in the episodes list, it begins playing that episode. It doesn’t require pressing watch (which does the same as clicking the thumbnail).

If you select the channel on the left side of the guide as opposed to the actual show, then it will start immediately and bypass the recording screen.

So are closed captions not working on the Apple TV app yet?

They have worked for me (in the beta and release).

On my Fire TV I can see the captions. The same recording on the Apple TV has no captions.

Ok, I’ve been testing. On live TV I can turn on captions with the Apple TV using the swipe down menu. I can’t get Siri to turn them on at all.

However on recordings the Apple TV shows no captions even though the Fire TV does. Even on the same recording.

I’ve got a couple of issues that have cropped up while using the Tablo. Neither are big deals but I just wanted to put them out there.

1. The fast forward 10 seconds has stopped working. The symbol shows up like it should work, but when I click nothing happens. The go backwards 10 seconds does work.
  2. I started a show up on Saturday night to show the Tablo to a friend and then closed it. I came back Sunday to watch a show and the show I started on Saturday was still playing. I tried playing the show I wanted to watch and it started to play with the other show playing in the background. I tried to put it to sleep and start it back up, and I tried to start up the video that I had opened on Saturday only for it to play two version of the show. I finally just restarted the apple tv and it started working fine.

Just weird little bugs. Overall I’ve loved the app on the Apple TV. It’s much better than the Amazon Fire Stick.

Unfortunately at the moment the only way to turn on CC for recordings is to start a live stream, turn the CC on there, and then go to your recording. They should stay turned on for that side of the fence.

@kdsumrall - There are a few firmware weirdnesses that we’ve seen with the Apple TV which seems to cause the issues you mentioned. A reboot of the Apple TV resolves this.

1 Like

Can you add the ability to record live tv while watching it on Apple TV, perhaps an option on swipe down menu (info, subtitles, audio)? Exiting out and hitting record is an unneeded step. Unless someone else knows another way.

Pretty sure you can also do this by going in the ATV settings -> Audio & Video and find subtitles section there, off if you don’t want any, english or w/e if you want them.

You can easily turn them on or off by sort of “alt-tabbing” (not sure what it’s called with our friends at apple) to the settings section and returning to your viewing afterward.

Recording a show you are already watching would be a great feature.

I had the same problem and was forced to reboot the Tablo to get the earlier recording to stop playing in the background. I just wanted to indicate that this is a problem not isolated to your case

Does anybody know if the Apple TV supports remote play after I pair it with the table once locally?

The Apple TV app unfortunately does not support Tablo Connect at this time.

The guide is slow at loading. I am not using wireless so thats not the problem.

I am having the very same problem, guide data is very slow. I was told to not have as many channels in the guide, that didn’t help at all. My iPad is almost immediate where as my Apple TV is 15 to 30 seconds. ANY help with this situation would be appreciated…

Having issues w guide on Apple TV. It is slow to load and doesn’t load full guide. Please advise.

I am currently considering purchasing a tablo for my camper. I have an HD OTA antenna and an Apple TV 4. This appears like a great device to marry the two together to get full functionality for both without switching between the two. My issue is of course internet connection. I have a wifi repeater mounted on the camper but not very place I travel has an available Internet connection. Setting up a local router with no outside connection is not a big deal but will the Apple TV 4 with the tablo app work without an outside connection? I have read through some of the forums here and supposedly the old roku devices work without an Internet connection but there has been no discussion on the Apple TV 4 app because it is so new. Please tell me before I purchase if I can use this without Internet.