NOW LIVE! – Tablo App for Apple TV

Thank you. The app looks nice and shows your team worked hard on rolling it out for the Apple TV 4. I can now cancel my TIVO plan :smile:

Downloaded and watched a couple recordings as well as live this afternoon. You guys nailed it - thumbnails for skipping around work perfect - just all around well done.

Thanks Tablo! :grinning:

I love the new ATV4 app but it seems to be missing a way to manage recordings. Where can I view all available shows and take actions on the ones I want to record. The current work around is to use iPad or iPhone to schedule recordings.

So… Did I miss something or is this not a feature on ATV4?

Awesome job on the app!!!

Well, now I have a new favorite way to watch TV.

The app is fast and clean.

No sign of some of the other capabilities and the voice control seem to be hit and miss, but it is a very nice first release.

I believe that we are looking at a version 1 of the app. And that they focused on stability and speed over detailed functionality. And I for one am glad about that. I’ve played around a bit with the app on 2 different TVs in my home, and it works flawlessly. I would suspect that we’ll see added features (such as ability to change system settings, recording management, etc.) in future updates.

2 Likes

I am hearing sounds from two channels. I don’t know if these are the proper steps to replicate the issue, but here is what I saw on Saturday:
I connected to Tablo, then viewed my recording. I turned off the TV using appleTV sleep button. Turned back the TV again using the appleTV remote, only to view live TV this time around. When I tuned in to LiveTV, I could hear my recorded program going on in the background. I could still hear it when I disconnected from Tablo. When I quit the application and then opened it backup, everything worked fine.

For those talking about limitations on the ability to record, I don’t want to speak for Tablo, but I imagine their thinking is that playback is much more important on the Apple TV than recording, as the remote makes searching through thousands of titles cumbersome. I think even after Tablo inevitably rounds out the recording features, I will schedule recordings on my iPad as that user interface is inherently superior. Yes, it would be nice to be able to schedule recordings (for shows coming up more than 24 hours away) from the Apple TV, but I’m glad the team focused on getting the playback right for this release.

That’s exactly the approach we took.

We did this as well with the Roku channel when it was in its infancy. As per the blog post, we have plans to add additional screens & features to the Apple TV but we wanted to make sure the daily functions of the app (which is mostly streaming live & recorded TV) were there and were solid.

4 Likes

GREAT news indeed. Now I can get rid of my 2 ROKU-3 and use a real player.

It’s fast & quick to respond and got all the basic features. Definitely a good version #1.0

But, and it’s your fault, we are looking for the best DVR app. With features that you gave us on others apps like " recording filter as movies and shows, TV shows programming like primiering, New, Genres, Channel…

You definitely did great, thanks

I really need Amazon to get off their high horse and get an app on the Apple TV.

1 Like

THANKS! I’ve been waiting impatiently since the ATV4 launched! Works great :slight_smile:

1 Like

That has happened to me also

Thank god. I can finally stop switching between the Amazon Fire and Apple TV4.

Once Amazon finally gets their app built and on Apple TV I can have one device to rule them all.

We need to guide section on the Apple TV app

Would it be possible to download the guide data and save it locally on the ATV Harddrive? Could this be a solution to load the guide faster?

@jayeffgee - Apple TV actually limits the amount of stored data for an app which is why we’re using the same API as we use for Roku.

Damn, this sucks. I have the 32 gig model and barely use 10 % of the space available.

Is it really only 200 mb per app? Guess they want to sell their crappy cloud service is why!

maybe move the images to a remote cache service and only have the text and images that are relevant for the near term or popular onboard?

Their limits will change over time. They have with their iPhone and iPad apps anyway.