New Year, New Tablo DVR (& Commercial Skip!)

Not yet on the 8TB 2.5" :slight_smile:

Don’t pop their balloon so soon. And can’t 2.5 drives come in two different heights.

This sounds like a great new feature.

Question for Tablo - Will the commercial skip work with a recording that is still in progress? Or will it only work once the recording is complete and the thumbnails are in place?

1 Like

Y’all are way too nerdy.

It’s just easier to say we have an all-around limit of 8TB. Given how fast tech moves, I’m sure we’ll see one soon!

And for those plotting purchases, we support both sizes of standard 2.5" SATA drives (7mm and 9.5mm).

1 Like

@TabloTV
What will be the minimum internet upload speed needed for commercial skip to work properly? I was on the original beta test, but my upload speed was too slow for it to work without crashing my Internet connection. (5 Mbps down and 0.5 Mbps up)

It has to upload to do the commercial cutting? I suppose I understand. Something like that is probably pretty CPU intensive. But I’m stuck with DSL and upload sucks for me too. (Download as well compared to cable but DSL can handle 1080p HD streaming).

Maybe we are, but when can I order the QUAD in Canada?

I’ll suffer with a 4TB drive until someone gets around to making an 8TB drive.

I would expect that an HTML cloud based technology for commercial skipping that requires significant data speed and data usage (recording uploading) is probably DOA for most users.

Of course from a marketing point of view tablo can claim it has it.

FYI, for clarity, it doesn’t upload the entire show.

Depending on the settings of your Tablo, it will use between 100-200 MB/hour of recording in external internet bandwidth.

For reference, if you schedule about 40 recordings in a month this will equal to 8 GB of bandwidth used. It’s more than Tablo uses for regular processes (like guide data) but is still only a fraction of overall bandwidth for those with datacaps.

Who has a family of 2-4 and only records 40 shows a month.

When football season starts around the first of September that’s 20 games per weekend. And they are around 4 hours long. Want me to do the math?

I have a family of four (though only two of use the Tablo), and it is right around 40 recordings in a month.

1 Like

Since you have been a tablo user for a long time and that goes back to when the prices were much higher, how did you justify the costs of the initial purchase for only 40 shows a month. There were other solutions that were not only cheaper but would easily cover 40 shows a month.

Of course there are those who like to play with different technology regardless of the costs.

2 families, at least. :slight_smile:
Some use the Tablo only for Live TV, like my mom.
Some use the Tablo for recording, but only a few channels come in reliably enough to record, so very few shows are recorded, and that would be for me.

It’s also more likely that new users can’t record many shows, because their set up isn’t optimal.
Their antenna may be limited, and, or antenna location is not optimal.
With time, users improve the environment dynamics, or tolerate suboptimal performance.
Better environment -> more recordings

i assume SSD is ok for this?

Unless you are locked into a specific playback device or remote connect I couldn’t image a reason to pick tablo strictly/only for Live TV.

My hdhomerun does a much better job of Live TV and a new connect duo on sale was only $80.

Not recommended

He’s probably talking about the internal drive on the new unit. It’s quite possible that it’s safe there. The problem with external USB bus powered SSDs is power draw. And of course, an SSD drive is not a $8 microsSSD flash drive or thumbdrive, those devices are not to be used with any Tablo.

Comskip - awesome!

On the new QUAD: what are the experience benefits of the new unit vs. the previous 4-tuner model (which I currently use with an external 2TB USB drive)? i.e. any reason to upgrade? I use hard wire so 802.11ac vs n doesn’t matter to me and my USB HDD performs well so no need for SATA. e.g.

• Does tuning/buffering take less time thanks to the newer tuner/demod?
  • Does the guide load faster (specifically on Roku)?
  • Can live TV and/or recording get above 720@60fps?
  • Is the compression quality any better, getting closer to original MPEG2 quality?

No significant benefit jumps at me on the comparison guide (and the old 4 tuner is $20 more): https://www.tablotv.com/sf/tearsheets/tablo_product_comparison_chart_july_2022.pdf

One thing I’m not fully on board with is the need for a quad Ota tuner. How many people are actually recording 3 OTA programs while simultaneously watching a 4th? OTA is usually a supplement to streaming and to help cut cost, why not offer a dual tuner with 4k hdr support and all the other new features that were just announced?