New Tablo Quad HDMI ATSC 3.0!

The last couple years have been tough for new product launches. Looks like things may clear up in Q2 and Q3 next year. :crossed_fingers:

@TabloTV will the ATSC 3.0 Quad HDMI unit support the wi-fi 6 standard? I know it is not a networked unit, but simply curious.

I found this in the specs for Tablo ATSC 3.0 QUAD:

Networking:

• Gigabit Ethernet
  • 802.11ac dual band WiFi with MIMO

https://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/articles/4413292673556-Tablo-ATSC-3-0-QUAD-HDMI-Specs?_gl=11psm25p_gaMTgzMzA4MTg1MC4xNTc3MDc1NzQw_ga_FJZJTK8CDQ*MTY3MjMyNjA5OS4xMjUuMS4xNjcyMzI2NDg1LjYuMC4w

2 Likes

So I believe that is what we now call WiFi 5.

Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)
Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n)

ā€¦and
Wi-Fi 7 (802.11be) :wink:

1 Like

Seeing how the ATSC 3.0 Tablo is no longer available for pre-order, itā€™s possible that the effort to add the DRM hardware may have required the designers to start from scratch. So itā€™s possible that the existing published specs may change, including what WI-FI version is supported.

While the tablo unit may have embedded decrypt keys, the authorization tokens for a HDMI direct connect STB is different then a network device. If you are really interested I would monitor the silcondust forum. They already have in customer network ATSC 3.0 units that they are trying to certify.

2 Likes

The last year has been a bad one for anyone trying to bring a new electronic item to market. Hopefully 2023 will have improved availability. RPI foundation isnā€™t predicting anything close to full availability till Q3 of this year.

Fom the little I know, you canā€™t just add DRM to a device released a year or so ago with software. There is hardware involved, why I donā€™t want the ā€œfakeā€ HDHR ATSC 3 with the gimmick fake audio so they can stream like they do. I would rather wait and make sure its done right.

Greetings:
I purchased an option to pre-order the ATSC 3.0 when first offered. Is there any updates to the ETA of this unit?

J C

The way Tablo spoke I suspect they are required to put the keys in protected ā€œunreadableā€ once write memory. Otherwise they could probably write the key space as all zeroes and add them later.

From AVS Forum ATSC 3.0 discussion:

I have gotten word WXII has added DNR (Do Not Record) protection on their ATSC3.0 signal and it has caused some TVs to stop decoding WXII 3.0.It is not suppose to do that, only to prevent recording and not lock out the signal all together. They are aware of it and are working on finding out what the issue is. Currently, they are the only station with DNR installed. The Samsung we use here at the station is decoding but some Sonyā€™s are not. My HDHomeRun Flex4k is not decoding it either.

Just so you know.

WXII is the NBC affiliate for Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem, NC market.

FYI

The whole ATSC 3.0 experiment is a hot mess right now. Austin, TX was one of the first adopters, but one station group is on such a low power output that unless you live really close to the tower, you canā€™t decode the signals. The second is down every few days for ā€œmaintenanceā€. The ability to record any of the channels (currently 8 channels are being broadcast) isnā€™t a reliable option at this point.

I will say this - if they put out DNR, or encrypt channels that are currently over the air in ATSC 1.0, they will end up losing customers. I flat refuse to pay to watch local channels, I wonā€™t pay to record them, and I wonā€™t pay if they are encrypted.

If they want to have ā€œpremium contentā€ (i.e. channels like ESPN as a subchannel of ABC that is a ā€œpay channelā€), I am okay with that. The reason most people cut the cord was the outrageous amount of money that local channels & sports channels charge on cable, satellite & streamingā€¦

I guess I will have to find a different form of entertainment if it comes to thatā€¦

1 Like

Legally they must keep some free OTA channels or lose the bands. That said there is nothing Iā€™m aware of that says the channels must be good.

The DNR function was one Iā€™ve been worried about the whole time. It will only harm the honest consumers and IMHO that will encourage more piracy. DRM hasnā€™t slowed down the pirates in the past.

If they take a lighter touch and just prevent commercial skip and/or limit how long we can keep the recordings Iā€™d still watch some of the drabble they put out. The quantity has risen and quality dropped. I can watch a bad show anywhere so convenience wins. If we canā€™t record TV the number of shows I watch will drop along with their advertising dollars. I rarely have the time to watch shows in Prime time and if there are story arcs I miss Iā€™m just as likely to lose interest.

3 Likes

Now I am not as anxious for ATSC 3 as they show it in my area on the ATSC 3 maps as being active or close, but in a interview they came out and said it is not coming soon pretty much. So no need to prepare like I was trying with my preorder of this before. I would still buy it I think though if it comes out now.

Yes, it was glossed over when it was given a kewl marketing name Next Gen TV - itā€™s good for you. So consumers (aka stoopid Americans) didnā€™t need to know what an ATSC 3.0 was/is.

A couple or so years ago, users were almost demanding to know if/when a compatible DVR may be available. Not realizing it may not even be practical.

If you have a network device you will probably need full DRM implementation to handle DNR. And that probably will only apply to viewing and not recording. HDMI direct connections have a less complicated DRM. So why a TV ATSC 3.0 tuner doesnā€™t have DRM/DNR support is (?).

Please see new infomation on this issue in AVS Forum ATSC 3.0 thread.

Anyone else? I just got an email from Tablo about my preorder being cancelled and they refunded me.

I hope this is not a bad sign and this is not coming???

Better than the alternative.

1 Like