New Tablo Quad HDMI ATSC 3.0!

Will this new Tablo Quad HDMI 3.0 still require a yearly subscription to the channel guide?
I’ve held off recommending the Tablo over TiVo recently if a friend wants HD recordings because of the lack of a lifetime subscription for the TV guide.

From this page…

The Tablo will decode the audio to what the TV can support.

To the user is should be seamless.

Decoding gets done on playback which means the recoding keeps the broadcast format.

Same here, I need the network connected one or it’s a no go for me. :frowning_face:

1 Like

let’s not forget the Cannabis Act :canada:

Yet they can’t buy a ATSC 3.0 HDMI model from a Canadian HQ company. And probably never will.

Since my Apple TV supports Dolby Atmos, Dolby AC-4, 4K, I’m not sure why the new ATSC 3.0 Tablo can’t integration with Apple TV which would then HDMI output to my Denon Receiver to output to my 11.2.4 speaker system and to my Sony 4K TV.

If HDMI is just “easier” for the first iteration, then I get that. I’m not interested until I can control the new ATSC 3.0 Tablo with my Apple TV. Does anyone know of any technical issues supporting Apple TV or other high-end streaming device other than time to implement Tablo software? I can understand Tablo wanting to get into the ATSC 3.0 market ASAP…hence HDMI first.

1 Like

I would bet that Dolby provides it’s licenses the runtime mechanisms and architecture to covert AC-4 to PCM for HDMI connected devices.

What is the correct architectures and business model for handling AC-4 delivered via network to all those various playback devices.

I’d like to know how your setup works once you get it delivered and set up. I’ll follow this post to see if/when you update it. Thanks.

1 Like

I just don’t get it: “First, due to technical limitations, including lack of Dolby AC-4 audio support on most streaming devices and Smart TVs, this is the first Tablo OTA DVR which can not stream content inside or outside the home. Viewing is limited to a single connected television.” If you can supply a picture and sound to my non ATSC tv without AC-4 via a hdmi cable, y can’t you network stream?

Same here. The ability to stream to multiple TV’s was the whole point of a Tablo, IMHO. I don’t think sales of this will be that high for that very reason. Hopefully they will develop streaming ablility before it’s mandatory to switch.

2 Likes

This is really a “pre-release” type product in reality. It’s not intended for the masses right now anyway. And, note this comment in the FAQ…

Can the Tablo ATSC 3.0 QUAD HDMI stream live or recorded TV to other devices on my local network?
No. At this time, the Tablo ATSC 3.0 QUAD HDMI cannot stream live or recorded TV as most commercially available streaming devices and Smart TVs are not compatible with the new video and audio formats of ATSC 3.0 broadcasts.”

It’s weird, but if you remember all the complaints about “streaming quality” and why doesn’t Tablo connect directly to HDMI, etc… there is an apparent customer base, and they were VERY vocal early on.

1 Like

Also, there’s a plethora of “cheap chinese” devices that do DVR with ATSC 1.0 connecting directly via HDMI. Just saying…

Doesn’t this HDMI model convert ac-4 to HDMI PCM. And wouldn’t that eliminate all those non-direct HDMI apps and devices?

Could tablo be following this DOLBY architecture for direct HDMI connected devices and for network attached devices probably looking at local ac-4 decoding to the appropriate audio stream for that device.

It might decide the AC-4 audio to PCM for audio playback but the audio stream is still stored / recorded as AC-4 audio. My understanding is many playback devices such as Roku or your smartphone for example cannot decode AC-4 audio.

Will do. I will likely try it on all three of my TVs. One has a receiver and 5 speakers, one has a sound bar, and the one in bedroom has no extra sound.

1 Like

Will this require a hdmi 2.1 port on the tv to work?

HDMI 2.0 supports 4K. I believe the 2.0a standard added HDR support. 2.1 is required to support 8k video. My guess is that whatever the ATSC 3.0 data passing through will “work”, but depending on which version of HDMI your TV input is may limit what features get passed through. In other words, if I attached this to my 2007 Sony TV, even if I was receiving a 4K HDR signal to the Tablo, my TV would only be able to “use” 1080P (and SDR).

Very sad about the single HDMI connection myself. Perhaps there is a way to emulate the 3.0 standard so it can work over a wireless network. This is a transitionary device meaning that we don’t need all the bells and whistles anyways and just need it to work. Investing in a unit just to fund further research.