New Tablo Quad HDMI ATSC 3.0!

Which means, very very few today. Which was my point.

More then just expensive TVā€™s. Any list I have is far from complete which is my point. And if the list is as small as you think why would tablo announce a ATSC 3.0 HDMI model?

Because there is practically no AC-4 content maybe today? (I could be wrong)

To provide an opportunity for trailblazers and super early adopters like @snowcat (thanks for taking one for the team so to speak!) to see what I assume will be an early version of the final product and provide an opportunity to keep users who have been vocal about wanting an ATSC 3.0 version of the Tablo in the Tablo ecosystem. I donā€™t fault them at all, and Iā€™m usually one of those early adopters, but in this case I believe the standards are still ā€œin progressā€ in a number of ways and there is no super compelling reason to make that move yet regardless.

3 Likes

No remote streaming is a non-starter for me. I keep my antenna away from my TV.

Best,

Steve

3 Likes

Same for me. I have no antenna near my living room TV and thatā€™s just not happening. So for me this is a NO.

I think this:

First, due to technical limitations, including lack of Dolby AC-4 audio support on most streaming devices and Smart TVs, this is the first Tablo OTA DVR which can not stream content inside or outside the home. Viewing is limited to a single connected television.

Need to be more emphasized. Getting the new Quad HDMI ATSC 3.0 means you must have a TV that is ATSC 3.0 capable or at least capable of Dolby AC-4 audio. Something to consider.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not quite right.

Will I need to upgrade my TV to one capable of ATSC 3.0 to use the Tablo ATSC 3.0 QUAD HDMI?
No. The Tablo ATSC 3.0 QUAD HDMI is compatible with any television with an HDMI port. Since decoding of the incoming broadcast signals is done on the Tablo itself, it is a simple and cost-effective way for you to receive and enjoy ATSC 3.0 broadcasts without the need to purchase a newer, expensive TV.

From the FAQs:

3 Likes

I have one TV 50ā€™ at the over end of the house. With RG6 coax and an amp splitter - if you have a good signal to start withā€¦ a splitter and cable run should not diminish itā€™s capacity significantly.

I think Venture owns a number LP stations. While I couldnā€™t think of a business reason why a LP(or full power) station already broadcasting ATSC 1.0 would abandon ATSC 1.0 for ATSC 3.0. But even a full power station in a DMA without a partner to lighthouse with can apply for a simulcast exception.

Venture Technologies Group, LLC (ā€œLicenseeā€), licensee of LPTV station KRPE-LD, San Diego, CA (FID 129651) (the ā€œStationā€), hereby notifies the Commission that the Station has completed construction of the technical facilities specified in the minor modification construction permit (File No. 138843) (the ā€œCPā€) and commenced operations on October 7, 2021, using an ATSC 3.0 signal.
The Station is in compliance with the ATSC 3.0 rules for digital LPTV stations. The Station has transitioned directly to ATSC 3.0 without simulcasting as permitted under Section 74.782(c) of the Commissionā€™s Rules, 47 C.F.R. Ā§ 74.782(c).

So, what is it decoded into?

Edit: I apologize for not being up on my reading of how AC-4 will be handled HDMI wise. So answering my own question, I suspect itā€™s made into possible the most common denominator surround format that can be handled by HDMI (?)

And is it decoded when recorded, or on playback?

I want to know this too but likely on playback.

That is what is confusing to me, is it being decoded or passed through? This is the confusing statement from the announcement:

Dolby AC-4 Surround Sound where available ā€” will be passed through to the television connected to your Tablo ATSC 3.0 QUAD HDMI.

If passed through, can the TV handle AC-4, if decoded, then why do they mention pass through?

Edit: Here is the answer, I read more:
Tablo ATSC 3.0 QUAD HDMI will convert the stream to PCM audio to pass it through to your soundbar or receiver.

Yeah. Iā€™m in a 2 story townhome. That wouldnā€™t be an easy job for me. And Iā€™m sure many people use streaming for that same reason and likewise wonā€™t be getting this product.

no streaming - yes big deal breaker. No DRM, possible issue when (if) things take off. As there is no actual programing in native 4k being broadcastā€¦ wait it out.

1 Like

Mustā€¦ haveā€¦ shinyā€¦ NOW!!!

3 Likes

I am disappointed, too. I have multiple TVs, so I need a streaming version. I could not find any estimate of when a streaming version will be offered, so it may not be until the next CES. :frowning:

2 Likes

(not available in Canada due to lack of ATSC 3.0)???

Extremely ridiculous reasoning, since OTA signals donā€™t magically stop at the border. Those in the Golden Horseshoe that have TV antennas could be in an excellent position to receive ATSC 3.0 signals from Buffalo, and perhaps Erie.

Here in Brantford, I donā€™t have any real long term problems picking up most of the signals from both Buffalo and Erie. In fact, if I position my 25+ year old VHF-UHF-FM Deep Fringe Yagi halfway between Buffalo and Erie, on most days Iā€™m still able to pull in all but the weakest signals from those two locations, plus still receive signals from Kitchener, Paris, Hamilton, and most of the stations from Toronto.

You already have us beat with universal healthcare and maple syrup, let us have ATSC 3.0. :wink:

In seriousness, couldnā€™t you just have someone in the US order one for you and ship it to you?