New Tablo Quad HDMI ATSC 3.0!

That is kind of like asking Apple to share it’s Iphone roadmap. Don’t hold your breath.

Maybe the roadmap is planned obsolescence: 4-tuners built before 2020 will enter end of life support and stop working in the near future.

Deleted my post by mistake…
I love my Tablo Quad, but the ability to stream over all devices on my local network is everything. Still rocking a Pioneer Elite 720p plasma, and would love to buy a 4k TV without ATSC 3.0. Having a Quad ATSC 3.0 at some point down the road would seal the deal right now. This would be as good a time as any for Nuvyyo to share it’s Quad roadmap…

– Not asking for a detailed roadmap, just an indication that the tech limitations will be overcome at some point in the future…

1 Like

Beside the fact that ac-4 is not widely available on TV’s and playback devices, what tech limitations are you talking about?

I would be more concerned about DRM/encryption de-railing the entire idea. Still too many unknowns for Tablo to be able to answer all those questions with any sense of certainty.

3 Likes

I share the DRM concern. It’s been in the back of my mind for a while. It might not even just be encryption. Many devices simply apply a binary bit(flag) that says “do not record” and manufactures of recording equipment were forced to abide by it. Given several licences are required to decode the video and audio they could even work the requirement into a licencing agreement.

1 Like

If you have those concerns why not spend a few minutes once a week reading the various ATSC 3.0 forums for products currently handling ATSC 3.0.

Why would I do that when in the FAQs they clearly state…

Does the Tablo ATSC 3.0 QUAD HDMI support ATSC 3.0 content with Digital Rights Management (DRM) copyright protection?
At this point, the technical details of Digital Rights Management (DRM) use within the ATSC 3.0 standard is still in development. While the standard broadly allows for DRM copyright protection on broadcasts, current ATSC 3.0 broadcasts are delivered unencrypted. Exactly how DRM will be incorporated into the ATSC 3.0 rollout in both practical and technological terms is still to be determined. We are watching this closely and will update customers on any developments on this front.

Specifically, “technical details of Digital Rights Management (DRM) use within the ATSC 3.0 standard is still in development”. I’ll just wait until those details have been finalized and review them then to determine if the Tablo Quad HDMI ATSC 3.0 is a practical solution for me.

I did preorder mine. Honestly, I don’t use the Tablo that much, but Nashville has all the major stations on ATSC 3.0, I am really am curious how it compares to my standard network Tablos. I will still use my old ones for my home viewing, but will test out the new Tablo to see how ATSC works.

So I am ok being a guinea pig on this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thoght the latest approved ATSC 3.0 standard A/362:2020 for DRM was approved January of 2020.

And the latest watermark tested and approved a/335 by February of 2021.

You should get many more stations in 1080p versus 1080i or 720p. But lots of pure 4k is still out in the short term future.

My local station were going to start the rollout 12/20 but due pandemic revenue loss it’s been delayed until 6/22. And since I’m on the south side of a mountain L.A. station reception is blocked.

1 Like

Latest maybe, but until it says final not sure I’m interested.

There is no final for aproved standards. Just revisions. But how long would one wait for the end of revisions?

A/362-2020 Aproved 1/17/2020

A/335 Aproved 2016

Whatever is thus far preventing the release of a multi-tuner, multi-codec unit that can replace the Quad – Allowing 4K playback on compatible networked devices, and reverting to 1080p for the others, or via Tablo Connect.

Isn’t ATSC 3.0 H.265 with ac-4 sound. So if the ATSC 3.0 broadcast is 4K or 1080p don’t both contain ac-4 sound. And ATSC 1.0 OTA allows for 1080p but does any OTA station broadcast quality above 1080i.

Thus if the new ATSC 3.0 HDMI has a dolby license is the OTA broadcast ac-4 ripped from the broadcast stream and recontainerized for pass through via the HDMI.

You mean like some sort of Plex connector/plugin. Which would kill many birds…

Plex doesn’t support AC-4 Audio. I am waiting for them to support it. Currently with the HDHomerun tuners, the ATSC 1.0 broadcasts work, but the ATSC 3.0 broadcasts do not have audio. You would need to replace the audio prior to transferring.

Apart for very latest, and often expensive, ATSC 3.0 capable TVs, how many other “things” handle AC-4?

immersive audio 7.1.4 playback - sound bars. Since TV’s typically have 2 speakers they down convert ac-3 5.1 to play on their speakers. But some use HDMI/ARC as pass thru to 5.1 sound bars.

And I think the newer iphones or samsung phones support ac-4. I also think Windows 10. But I don’t always keep track of the hdhomerun ATSC 3.0 audio postings.

So, you’re saying everything that can handle AC-3 can automatically handle AC-4 even if it has no clue what AC-4 is? I haven’t read up on any of this. I suppose it’s just not the same as trying to transcode it.

Didn’t you ask what devices besides certain TV’s could handle ac-4? The list of the possibilities devices I heard mention of: certain newer cell phones, possibly windows 10, And devices that can do pass thru to sound bars that support ac-4/7.1.4 sound.

And that ac-4 was designed for the future of 7.1 sound.