New Tablo Quad HDMI ATSC 3.0!

Which is probably exactly why it is HDMI. Just as you said, it would likely require further research to identify how best to support network streaming to other devices, particularly given that most current streaming devices and TVs don’t fully support the technologies introduced in ATSC 3.0.

I would suspect many fairly new network devices support h.265 but few support ac-4.

Yeah, definitely get all of that. I would not be opposed to a atsc 3.0 to 1.0 emulator. After all, the best features of 3.0 are the additional subchannels and signal strength. I don’t think many people care about 4k and special audio codecs as necessary features during this transition that should last several years. Tablo’s claim to fame was their streaming service, intuitive programing, external sharable DVR, and reliable service. I hope they hold true to their roots since we all have smart TVs and devices that would take advantage of the four tuners.

How big would the video portion be if it was converted from h.265 to mpeg2.

And wouldn’t someone have to buy a Dolby license to convert ac-4 to ac-3. And if so, once you have the dolby ac-4 license why would you back encode?

One thing to note - broadcasters have been changing their broadcast signal (different encoding methods and different power levels) for the entire time it has been on the air in Austin, TX. So, if you make a device to use method “A”, and they switch to method “B”, the transcode method may break. And I think they are on method “Z” now (I don’t have a log, but it has been many changes, and even my TVs have been broken especially with the audio in receiving the signals).

The choice not to support at this time had to be a difficult decision, but imagine 20+ methods across the nation (and even different countries). And the stations in Austin claim they are “testing” now, so things will change in the future.

Once things settle down, and standards are adopted, it will be easier to support.

Each channel can have up to 4 PLP’s. Isn’t the problem you are describing due to the fact that the way the ATSC 3.0 envisioned the PLP’s would be used is not the way they were/are used. And the standard allowed for PLP’s to be used in a number of different ways. each of these can have different metadata.

Thus some company’s software has to catch up with all the various combos.

I am not sure of the methods they are using, or what they are changing, but it takes many firmware updates to the tuners. One day it works on all devices, the next it only works on a few. After the firmware updates, it is fixed. In Austin, we only have two broadcast frequencies for ATSC 3.0 (8 total channels), and they are offline quite often, and then come back online. Trying to record programming is hit or miss.

All of my normal programming is still on my ATSC 1.0 Tablo Units, as they work virtually every time. The ATSC 3.0 broadcasts are a work in progress. I foresee a lot of changes over the next few years, both from the broadcasters and the firmware updates (I don’t believe they will have to change the hardware at this point), but these changes will bring periods of time to catch up.

The biggest issue is doing something that works everywhere, where there are so many different issues. I read both Tablo & HDHomerun forums daily, and most of the issues on HDHomerun have to deal with different markets making changes, and it requires either a change on the firmware, or a change on the broadcasters (they don’t know it is “broken”).

When it does work, it works great.

1 Like

Hey Zippy! Not sure if that question is for me and I would be the least qualified to answer that question. Simply trying to make it so multiple TVs can share the DVR and four tuners like before. I’ll leave the licensing and codec problems to the professionals. Either way, emulating software generally requires more hardware requirements from my old video game emulating days.

I’m just wondering how many people on this forum have pre-ordered the Quad HDMI ATSC 3.0 Tablo besides @snowcat and myself?

I think for most, because this is primarily of forum of existing customers, there would have be a “need” (a need that is likely greater than curiosity). My ancient 1st gen Tablos are working fine. And even so, not sure I want any version of a non-streaming centric device.

Now… if someone wants to loan me a unit for review, sure.

No point, no stations in my market. Probably wouldn’t anyway.

OK, so my curiosity is greater than my need. But since ATSC 3.0 went live in the Oklahoma City area, the signal on my ABC and NBC stations is weaker and I get pixelation intermittently. Most the time it is very minor, but at other times it makes it hard to watch a recording. Commercial Skip fails 30 to 40% of the time and thumbnails fail to generate maybe 10% of the time.

Before anyone suggests a better antenna, etc, I have an Antop AT-400BV mounted on a tower approximately 25’ above ground and it worked nearly flawlessly prior to ATSC 3.0. My signal problems started after rescanning due to ATSC 3.0. So, I’m curious if I can receive a better signal on ATSC 3.0.

That’s definitely going to be one of my tests. I just use a flat indoor antenna (I am around 17 miles from most of the Nashville stations), and it works fine if I have my Tablo upstairs, but it can’t pick up all the channels if it is downstairs. So I will test to see if there is a difference by first placing my Tablo downstairs.

Since it sounds like you are not using a signal meter how would this test determine that the unit is receiving not only a stronger signal but a better sound to noise ratio?

Especially since ATSC 3.0 is using OFDM versus 8VSB modulation for ATSC 1.0.

It wouldn’t, and he never implied it would. He just wants to see if he receives more watchable channels in an already tested location.

1 Like

I would think most people would like to know if the ATSC 3.0 unit, which receives both ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0, actually provides better signal numbers for ether or both standards. This would be a real life signal comparision to an older unit attached to the same antenna.

Since tablo doesn’t provide a signal meter and a freestanding meter isn’t being used it’s just a SWAG. $200-$300 dollars is an expensive bet for most people. Since I have units over 7 years old I might take the bet for a network attached unit.

I had a hdhomerun connect duo and upgraded to a 4K and since it has a signal meter I know what the impact was on ATSC 1.0 signals.

Exactly. This is just a measure of how many channels I can get in different locations in my home

I am glad to see they are doing this. It will be a few years before we need it though. I’m sure by then Tablo will have a fully functional 3.0 device with all the features we are accustomed to. I will say, if you are looking to see if you have any 3.0 stations nearby, you can check out rabbitears.info. It’s an excellent website that breaks down a lot of technical information about stations in your area.

I contacted Google online chat support for the Chromecast with Google TV (which Is what I use to get streaming video to my kitchen TV) and was informed that the Chromecast DOES support Dolby AC-4 audio.

I won’t be happy until there is a streaming version of the Tablo Quad ATSC 3.0. The Chromecast is very popular, so I don’t buy the excuse that not enough streaming devices support AC-4.

They are not saying it will never be supported, they are saying that it won’t be supported “day one” of the release. Since this is a new technology, and standards are rapidly changing, providing support for streaming applications is not going to be released with the product at this time.

I currently have tuners that support ATSC 3.0, and the streaming devices (iPad, XBox, Windows 10, Roku, FireTV, AppleTV, etc) are getting almost weekly updates to the programs and/or firmware to solve issues with different changes in the industry.

Just my opinion, but holding off on releasing streaming applications is a smart thing, as it isn’t ready for prime time today (going by the competitor’s hardware), and the amount of customer dissatisfaction would be very high. It would take an extreme amount of support to try and solve all the problems. And then it could change tomorrow…

1 Like