NEW - Tablo Preview Channel Now Public

Sorry, I’m confused. I’ve been using the preview channel on my Roku 3 and today I see the message about upgrading but the ‘upgrade’ button doesn’t work, just the ‘later’ button. I’m reading some of these posts about going back to the legacy channel but I don’t want to do that. How do I upgrade to the new channel so I can catch the new features? Will the beta preview channel automatically be upgraded?

Thanks

I though I would add that I got the Fire TV and Chrome browser working by selecting Disconnect then hitting the red X. This forces the apps and browser to resync. After that all of my current recordings are now showing up correctly on all of my devices. I couldn’t find a disconnect option on the roku, so I’m not sure how to force a resync for the Roku. Luckily right now my Roku is properly synced. Anyway thought I’d let you know in case you’re desperate enough to do a factory reset. I’m now getting the loading please wait messages with the Roku. I re-positioned the unit to get a stronger wifi signal and it seemed to help a lot. Will have to monitor it for the next few days to see if it is as bad of a problem as some others are complaining about.

If your upgrade button doesn’t work, I think that means the regular Roku Tablo channel has already been upgraded. If you click on the regular Tablo channel does it look different with the grid TV listings etc?

I don’t think the TV grid listing looks any different. The channel logo still has that “Preview” banner.

The channel is 2.0 Build 15

Software 2.2.6

Is that the new one?

I am having the same loading circle issue as well. It’s getting worse ever since the last update.

1. I have a Roku3 and Roku4, and I am seeing issue on both of them.
  2. I connect all rokus and Tablo with gigabit ethernet, so the network is fine.

This is really frustrating for us. My kid cannot even finish her curious george recorded on PBS…

The “Preview” Channel is no longer supported. The Features that were in the “Preview” channel have been moved over to the standard production Tablo channel.

Just go into your streaming channels section of your Roku and search for Tablo, the version that comes up through the standard channels interface (with no “Preview” flag) is the one that you want. It will include all of the features that were in the Preview version plus be the one that’s updated with new features going forward.

You can then delete your old Preview Channel.

1 Like

With the exception of having the live tv grid, I actually prefer the legacy channel version. I like the way it sorts tv shows and movies upcoming and the way it sorts recordings. Much easier to use.

1 Like

Everyone having Lpw issues, try this-
Set your recordings to 720 and disconnect any wired Roku’s and connect them wirelessly. Worked for me and now I rarely have any Lpw’s, even on two other TV’s using the Roku stick.
Hoping I can revert back to 1080 for recordings soon, but this is a decent solution for me.

Now, SlingTV? That’s a whole other PITA!

While this is a great suggestion, many will say the only acceptable solution is for 1080p to work.

1 Like

I agree, but in the meantime until 1080 works, this is the only thing that I’ve found to work. Bugs me too that 1080 doesn’t seem to work.

But how many stations actually broadcast in 1080p. I have 16 stations. Only 3 are in 1080p. Rest are 720 or lower.

Actually, NO stations broadcast in 1080p - they either broadcast 1080i or 720p for HD in North America. But the reason we want to record in 1080p is to obtain the best possible video quality out of our Tablos, which are transcoding every recording, resulting in a small degradation from the original source broadcast. 1080p MPEG4 recordings on Tablo are not as good a video quality as the native 1080i MPEG2 that you’re receiving OTA. Also, you can’t get 720p/60fps recordings at all unless you use the 1080p/10Mbps recording quality setting.

I am also seeing new issues, the recorded show will now freeze, then loop back about 3-5 sec, play…then repeat. I am also seeing it freeze, then just go blank, stutter, then play then go back 3-5 seconds and then play for a while before we start all over. It will also (sometimes) reboot the entire system (Roku3).

I had issues similar before this app change and now they are just more of the same, with a twist.

I love the idea, but after a year and a half, I think I may have had enough. Please fix the issues at hand before rolling out all this other stuff.

Continuing the discussion from A Message from the CEO of Nuvyyo:

When I got home last night the beta 4 update was ready for download to my Tablo. After the update all my recordings loaded immediately using the new public channel. Yea!!! Everything is working wonderfully. FF and RW are working quickly. I am loving my Tablo again.

Once we have the ability to sort the guide and schedule on the public channel the same way we can on the legacy channel all will be complete.

Jim

2 Likes